DJ Stewart activated from IL, optioned to Norfolk

MurphDogg

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

But if Santander can hold down CF then releasing Broxton is an option. That's why I asked. Then you have Mancini, Santander, Stewart, and Smith/Broxton in the OF, Wilkerson at second (if Villar leaves), and that guy at first with Nunez/Sisco at DH.

Santander has really poor burst speed which will end up making him a below average center fielder, not to mention he has almost no experience there. For this year though, I wouldn't care if he was playing out there instead of Broxton.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

He was good last year with the Orioles. He has been great with Norfolk this year, .303/.413/.558. He is exactly the type of player that should be up now so the Orioles can figure out what they have with him. He walks a lot and hits for enough power that he could be a reasonable corner outfielder / DH piece.

Ok, I agree with that. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Since our management is so metrics oriented, rest assured they must have a precise mathematical definition of what does and does not constitute "a groove", and historical numbers backing up the benefit of not bringing a player up before he has met the Groove Criteria.

Trust the process.

Or, maybe they just don't want to bring up someone while they are struggling in the minors.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Santander has really poor burst speed which will end up making him a below average center fielder, not to mention he has almost no experience there. For this year though, I wouldn't care if he was playing out there instead of Broxton.

This. Santander in CF isn't a longterm solution, but would be on board with him there to get Stewart on the roster and in the lineup.

22 minutes ago, Papeete said:

Since the Orioles are placing more emphasis on defense, Santander is not going to be the CF! Broxton handles defense . . . for now!

With an OF of Santander, [Hays, when ready], and Mancini, why would the Orioles be so stupid to bring up Stewart, just to sit on the bench! 

Davis should be the focus of the player who needs to go (move Mancini to 1B and Stewart in RF].

Mancini and Smith in the outfield say Hi!

21 hours ago, LA2 said:

There are some OH'ers here who would say it is Smith and/or Broxton who are doing the blocking. Speaking of which, was there anything like a conclusion about Santander's ability to play CF?

He is blocking Trey from being at 1st base. Hate to see some hasbeen being used when a younger player may be the answer at 1st. IMO 

23 hours ago, LA2 said:

There are some OH'ers here who would say it is Smith and/or Broxton who are doing the blocking. Speaking of which, was there anything like a conclusion about Santander's ability to play CF?

I think it's because of the high probability that Davis is going nowhere until his contract runs out that makes me not bring him up more. Obviously, he's the one doing the most damage to our progress right now. Smith, to me, doesn't do anything well enough to justify being here. He's not even a bench player IMO. I'd much rather see Stewart.

Broxton isn't even on my radar right now just because he's really good in CF (the only one) and is fine as a DR/PR/4th OF guy. I feel the same about Martin at SS, really. Both bring some utility to the team despite not being able to hit. Smith doesn't bring any from what I can see and Davis brings even less than that, but it's not realistic to expect Davis to be gone any time soon despite him being the most obvious choice to be rid of. For me, there is the added displeasure that Davis represents a part of our past that we are trying to move away from and he represents the clusterf- FO that got us in this mess. I can only hope Elias will cut that tether eventually.. if he's allowed to.

10 hours ago, Sessh said:

I think it's because of the high probability that Davis is going nowhere until his contract runs out that makes me not bring him up more. Obviously, he's the one doing the most damage to our progress right now. Smith, to me, doesn't do anything well enough to justify being here. He's not even a bench player IMO. I'd much rather see Stewart.

Broxton isn't even on my radar right now just because he's really good in CF (the only one) and is fine as a DR/PR/4th OF guy. I feel the same about Martin at SS, really. Both bring some utility to the team despite not being able to hit. Smith doesn't bring any from what I can see and Davis brings even less than that, but it's not realistic to expect Davis to be gone any time soon despite him being the most obvious choice to be rid of. For me, there is the added displeasure that Davis represents a part of our past that we are trying to move away from and he represents the clusterf- FO that got us in this mess. I can only hope Elias will cut that tether eventually.. if he's allowed to.

If Roch is actually sort of criticizing a player,you know he might be gone soon. This happens almost never . 

Dwight Smith Jr. is hitless this month and in an 0-for-26 slump. His energy level seems to be dipping, though he might be pushing through some leg soreness. I’m sure he knows that slowing up and reaching for his batting helmet on a bang-bang play at first base is a bad look.

As for Davis,it is not about finances.? Too funny. He is a beast. He will either turn green or make a lot more green.

The Orioles remain committed to Davis beyond the finances. They’ll keep working to unlock the beast.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/07/orioles-trying-to-bust-a-few-slumps.html

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

If Roch is actually sort of criticizing a player,you know he might be gone soon. This happens almost never . 

Dwight Smith Jr. is hitless this month and in an 0-for-26 slump. His energy level seems to be dipping, though he might be pushing through some leg soreness. I’m sure he knows that slowing up and reaching for his batting helmet on a bang-bang play at first base is a bad look.

As for Davis,it is not about finances.? Too funny. He is a beast. He will either turn green or make a lot more green.

The Orioles remain committed to Davis beyond the finances. They’ll keep working to unlock the beast.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/07/orioles-trying-to-bust-a-few-slumps.html

As if the Orioles are committed to Davis for any other reason except finances. This ridiculous line makes it seem like if they weren't paying Davis a zillion dollars, that they'd still be keeping him. Come on, Roch. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

As if the Orioles are committed to Davis for any other reason except finances. This ridiculous line makes it seem like if they weren't paying Davis a zillion dollars, that they'd still be keeping him. Come on, Roch. 

I would think it would be better not to mention him at all.

Archived