Adley Rutschman 2019

Greg Pappas

41 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I thought your point was that Elias was quick to promote if a player is dominating. So, I guess that point is actually Elias is ready to promote 1-1 out of short season A ball when dominating.

Is there a GM who wouldn’t?

Theres no rush to promote Toby Welk. He'll be in Delmarva soon enough next year. I am wondering if Rutschman starts out in Delmarva next season. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I'm not disagreeing.  Elite college players might be on the AA level. They are few and far between.  IMO, the general talent level of top division I teams is low A ball.  The Blaine Knights, Zach Watson's, and Kyle Stowers are probably not ready to succeed in high A ball right now.  

You said AA pitching would be more on a par with what he's used to seeing on top college teams and in the CWS.  I strongly disagree with that.

Im sorry, that is where our lines crossed.  I was saying that he belonged in AA and he would benefit from those pitchers more than the lower level pitchers because he would see more consistent and better pitches.  He probably saw a couple pitchers of AA caliber or they had an AA caliber game against him but I wasnt saying that that is what he is use to seeing.  Right now, he is facing pitchers working on command or secondary pitches and that doesnt challenge him other than his batting eye.  Kind of like Bonds when they either threw him garbage or intentionally walked him(not saying he is Bonds).  He just has to wait for pitches that come into the strike zone more than he would in AA.

18 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Im sorry, that is where our lines crossed.  I was saying that he belonged in AA and he would benefit from those pitchers more than the lower level pitchers because he would see more consistent and better pitches.  He probably saw a couple pitchers of AA caliber or they had an AA caliber game against him but I wasnt saying that that is what he is use to seeing.  Right now, he is facing pitchers working on command or secondary pitches and that doesnt challenge him other than his batting eye.  Kind of like Bonds when they either threw him garbage or intentionally walked him(not saying he is Bonds).  He just has to wait for pitches that come into the strike zone more than he would in AA.

Don't try to talk baseball common sense. It gets faded out by all the statheads.

41 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Theres no rush to promote Toby Welk. He'll be in Delmarva soon enough next year. I am wondering if Rutschman starts out in Delmarva next season. 

I’d be shocked if Rutschman starts in Delmarva next year.    I expect him to dominate at that level the next 2 weeks and say goodbye after the playoffs.    But I’m confident he’ll start higher next year even if he doesn’t dominate there now.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d be shocked if Rutschman starts in Delmarva next year.    I expect him to dominate at that level the next 2 weeks and say goodbye after the playoffs.    But I’m confident he’ll start higher next year even if he doesn’t dominate there now.  

I agree - I'm thinking/hoping it's Frederick in April/May, Bowie in June/July and Norfolk in August...

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The ones that started him in full season ball.

I'm fairly convinced that the only reason they started him off in GCL/SSA is because he had mono.  There really isn't any other plausible explanation for a college 1:1.

11 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I agree - I'm thinking/hoping it's Frederick in April/May, Bowie in June/July and Norfolk in August...

3 Levels next year may be a little bit optimistic.  I think you're dead on start at A+, and promote to AA.  Maybe Fall League and then a pit stop at AAA in 2021

20 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

3 Levels next year may be a little bit optimistic.  I think you're dead on start at A+, and promote to AA.  Maybe Fall League and then a pit stop at AAA in 2021

The Giants had Buster Posey skip AA entirely and promoted him directly from A+ to AAA during his first (and last) full season in the minor leagues. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

The Giants had Buster Posey skip AA entirely and promoted him directly from A+ to AAA during his first (and last) full season in the minor leagues. 

Based on how lousy Frederick has been this year, that probably wouldn't be a bad plan as Bowie will be pretty barren and the pitching talent next year is likely to be at Frederick and Norfolk. Would be nice to have him catch some of the guys that are in Bowie this year at Norfolk next year, rather than the non-prospects at Bowie next year.

I'm sure the Bowie marketing people might have something to say about that though!

24 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Based on how lousy Frederick has been this year, that probably wouldn't be a bad plan as Bowie will be pretty barren and the pitching talent next year is likely to be at Frederick and Norfolk. Would be nice to have him catch some of the guys that are in Bowie this year at Norfolk next year, rather than the non-prospects at Bowie next year.

I'm sure the Bowie marketing people might have something to say about that though!

Well, our top pitching prospect will be in Bowie next year