Hold on... What if the lineup is further along than we think?

sportsfan8703

I’ve been strongly in the 76ers way of thinking of completely blowing this thing up and trading anything of value for 2022 and beyond. However, we’ve seen the emergence of Santander, Nunez, Alberto, Sisco, and Severino. Mancini looks more like an All Star than a fluke. 

Over the last month, I’ve searched through a lot of lineups trying to find fits for where are guys could possibly get traded to. What I’ve found is that the lineup we can trot out on OD 2020 would  likely be an above average lineup. 

Teams are being real tight with prospects and players under control. It’s looking like it’s not worth it to burn this to the ground and start over, just for the sake of doing it. 

The lineup could be too good without doing anything to tank.  What’s the point of tanking if you might only end up with the 8th pick in the draft?

There’s a couple small things that could really change the MLB lineup fast. What if Sisco could convert to 3B?  What if Nunez could play 3B for 40-50 games?  What if Mountcastle could play LF?

OD 2020

C - Sisco, Severino 

1B - Nunez

2B - Alberto

SS - 

3B - 

LF - Mancini

RF - Santander

CF - Hays

DH - Mountcastle

Bench:

Smith Jr, Peterson, Wilkerson, Ruiz

AR, Diaz, and Mckenna, could all be beating down the door as well.

We could make a couple waiver claims, small trades, or small FA signings. Like bringing Villar back on a cheap deal after an expected trade, and non tender.

Obviously, the pitching is a huge issue, but the Rotation in Bowie is doing some big things.  Maybe all of that won’t translate to MLB success, but I don’t think we’re as bad off as it seemed.

• Upvote 1

Good post. I’ll be interested to see how Alex Cobb does when he gets back. If he pitches to his career average (far from a sure thing, I know), it would go a long way in improving this rotation in the short term.

I hope you’re right. My friends and I have been saying “above .500 by 2022, playoffs by 2023.” Got hope for something, right?

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Of course not.  Just pointing out that the strikeouts have been accumulating since April.  It's not something new.

Sure, but strikeouts are more palatable when paired with dongs than with GIDP.  Some players can be productive with high K numbers and other can't.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

A 33% strikeout rate is usually a red flag.  It's been there since April.  When Sisco is hot, nobody cares.  When he slumps they care.  He's slumping.

I don't think we've seen enough to determine what is a slump and what is his actual production at this point.  Which has been the point I've been making all morning.  I wouldn't write Sisco's name in ink on any 2020 lineup cards. 

You don't seem to disagree with that point so I'm guessing you just feel like arguing with me?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think we've seen enough to determine what is a slump and what is his actual production at this point.  Which has been the point I've been making all morning.  I wouldn't write Sisco's name in ink on any 2020 lineup cards. 

You don't seem to disagree with that point so I'm guessing you just feel like arguing with me?

Sisco isn’t a sure thing and he’s got red flags that some of the other guys don’t. However, he is a C for now, so even a .700 OPS is playable. I don’t think his defense is an issue because teams simply don’t run anymore. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You pointed to the strikeouts as if they are worse now or just became a problem. I pointed out that it isn't anything new.  You have a huge problem with being corrected.  Like Sisco and his strikeouts, it's nothing new.

No, I have a problem with folks sharpshooting ever phrase I include in a sentence I write at six o'clock in the morning on a tablet over my morning coffee.

Yes the K's have always been an issue, but earlier the rest of his offensive game was compensating for it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

On the topic of Sisco, I don't know how many folks are watching but he's been struggling with the bat and the K's are starting to accumulate.  He is yet to be a proven asset with the bat at the ML level.

Agreed.    He got off to a good start but hasn’t done much of late.  

21 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Mountcastle has the same problem too. He’s going to slump some day and slump hard... his strikeouts are going to be a huge problem.

Mountcastle has gone 2+ months without going hitless in two straight games.    He had one other stretch very early in the year where he went 3 straight games without a hit.    Otherwise he’s never gone two straight games without a hit all year.   His OPS has been over .800 every month.     So, I’m not too concerned about him slumping.   He had one 14 game stretch where he “only” had 12 hits.    That’s what constitutes a slump for him.    

Yeah, I worry about the walks, but there’s nothing else about his bat that concerns me.    He’s going to hit.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Oh boy!  It's actually not the strikeouts. At least not yet.  It's the lack of walks. The strikeouts could spike at the ML level but Tony and Luke, especially, seem pretty confident that Mountcastle is a pure hitter who should be productive at the ML level.  Sisco's strikeout rate in AAA was much worse than Mountcastle's even this year even though I can't cite the stats right now.

This might sound crazy, but I don’t think Mountcastle is as important to us long term as Hays and Diaz are. Mancini and Nunez should have 1B and DH locked down. Then again, Hays has BB concerns, but he also can play CF. . 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Alberto has "emerged" into being a below average offensive player while hitting .313. It is very impressive, but not because he has turned into a good player.

I'd like to see Nunez get more time on defense. It wasn't an issue for him until spring training this year. I think there must still be something going on with his arm.

It's still too early to buy into pretty much everyone. Santander was struggling in the minors the last few years before getting hot after being called up. Mountcastle still has serious discipline issues. Hays can't stay healthy and productive. We still don't know who the real Mancini is and I'd still like him shopped while he is in the midst of what looks like it will be the best season of his career so far offensively. 

Long story short: I don't think that lineup is likely to be above average.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’ve been strongly in the 76ers way of thinking of completely blowing this thing up and trading anything of value for 2022 and beyond. However, we’ve seen the emergence of Santander, Nunez, Alberto, Sisco, and Severino. Mancini looks more like an All Star than a fluke. 

Over the last month, I’ve searched through a lot of lineups trying to find fits for where are guys could possibly get traded to. What I’ve found is that the lineup we can trot out on OD 2020 would  likely be an above average lineup. 

Teams are being real tight with prospects and players under control. It’s looking like it’s not worth it to burn this to the ground and start over, just for the sake of doing it. 

The lineup could be too good without doing anything to tank.  What’s the point of tanking if you might only end up with the 8th pick in the draft?

There’s a couple small things that could really change the MLB lineup fast. What if Sisco could convert to 3B?  What if Nunez could play 3B for 40-50 games?  What if Mountcastle could play LF?

OD 2020

C - Sisco, Severino 

1B - Nunez

2B - Alberto

SS - 

3B - 

LF - Mancini

RF - Santander

CF - Hays

DH - Mountcastle

Bench:

Smith Jr, Peterson, Wilkerson, Ruiz

AR, Diaz, and Mckenna, could all be beating down the door as well.

We could make a couple waiver claims, small trades, or small FA signings. Like bringing Villar back on a cheap deal after an expected trade, and non tender.

Obviously, the pitching is a huge issue, but the Rotation in Bowie is doing some big things.  Maybe all of that won’t translate to MLB success, but I don’t think we’re as bad off as it seemed.

I don’t want to see Mancini in the OF. He belongs at 1st. IMO 

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Mountcastle has the same problem too. He’s going to slump some day and slump hard... his strikeouts are going to be a huge problem.

He doesn't strike out as often as Sisco and he is a much more gifted hitter. Is this the daily thread to throw in a dig at Mountcastle? If you haven't been paying attention, he's absolutely raking right now.