Chris Davis, 2019

OFFNY

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I would play him 1-2 times per week between now and the end of the season. No reason to waste the ABs.

They've said Trumbo will get some ABs in September if he is able to.   (And I have no problem with this, letting him prove he is healthy or not so he can make a decision on retirement or trying to hook on somewhere as a free agent.   He's been a good Oriole and a good guy and I have no problem with giving him some ABs in some meaningless September games).

In addition to Trumbo, I expect Mountcastle to come up after Norfolk's season is over.

So...Trumbo and Mountcastle ABs have to come at the expense of someone.

I agree with you.   Davis will be a very part time player the rest of the way.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They've said Trumbo will get some ABs in September if he is able to.   (And I have no problem with this, letting him prove he is healthy or not so he can make a decision on retirement or trying to hook on somewhere as a free agent.   He's been a good Oriole and a good guy and I have no problem with giving him some ABs in some meaningless September games).

In addition to Trumbo, I expect Mountcastle to come up after Norfolk's season is over.

Could impact an insurance payout.

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don’t disagree about Trumbo being a good guy. I see no reason to start the clock on Mountcastle. If it’s not going to matter fine. But I’d wait until I can bring him up for good. 

I stll don’t see them cutting Davis. I think we have to put up with him another year. Still holding out hope they can talk him into a buyout.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t disagree about Trumbo being a good guy. I see no reason to start the clock on Mountcastle. If it’s not going to matter fine. But I’d wait until I can bring him up for good. 

I stll don’t see them cutting Davis. I think we have to put up with him another year. Still holding out hope they can talk him into a buyout.

Well, I would say if he is on the roster next year, he will be sitting on the bench even more than he has this year.   So maybe these last 6 weeks can be a way to give him an idea of what that's like.   Might affect his decision making process if he finds he doesn't enjoy sitting 5 or more days per week and becomes less and less a part of the team.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well, I would say if he is on the roster next year, he will be sitting on the bench even more than he has this year.   So maybe these last 6 weeks can be a way to give him an idea of what that's like.   Might affect his decision making process if he finds he doesn't enjoy sitting 5 or more days per week and becomes less and less a part of the team.

I agree ... I said that a while ago. Some fans here thought it would be doing Chris dirty relegating to the bench as a tactic to push him into a buyout compromise. I think it’s a great strategy 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree ... I said that a while ago. Some fans here thought it would be doing Chris dirty relegating to the bench as a tactic to push him into a buyout compromise. I think it’s a great strategy 

It would only be doing him dirty if it wasn't based on merit.   He isn't one of our top 9 hitters, he knows it and everyone knows it.

Just now, SteveA said:

It would only be doing him dirty if it wasn't based on merit.   He isn't one of our top 9 hitters, he knows it and everyone knows it.

Yeah he’s a liability and I’d love him and see a change in the contract that allows teams a buyout if the player crashes. If injured you can make an insurance claim. The deterioration of skills leaves you stuck.

Players want opt outs ... teams should get them also

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah he’s a liability and I’d love him and see a change in the contract that allows teams a buyout if the player crashes. If injured you can make an insurance claim. The deterioration of skills leaves you stuck.

They have them, they are called team options.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah, well, it has to be negotiated into the contract up front.   And that didn't happen.   You sign a stupid contract, you live with it.   A "team opt out" is basically just a team option when you think about it (not exercising a team option would.be the logical equivalent of a team opting out of a contract).   And there are contracts with team options.   But we chose not to negotiate one.

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I promoted the idea last year, but there was no chance Buck was sitting him. He doesn’t deserve a roster spot, so if he does have a spot it doesn’t mean he has to play except sparingly.