Not a lot of room on next years 40 man roster

wildcard

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

If I looked at the stats right, he didn't give up a run in nine of 15 appearances and had some decent outings. I think there is too much potential to give up on, at least for another year or two.

Yeah there is no reason for the Orioles to quit on Scott this soon. Not with an arm like his, they have time to let him figure it out or not. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you throw close to 100 you should hire whoever has the best changeup around to work with him this off season. As our pitching coach says to all of our hard throwers "what is your second best pitch?" "It should be a changeup." This isn't rocket science.

49 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

If I looked at the stats right, he didn't give up a run in nine of 15 appearances and had some decent outings. I think there is too much potential to give up on, at least for another year or two.

Relievers give up runs that count against the previous pitchers ERA. I don’t know how many inherited runners Scott has allowed to score but he can allow up to three per outing without it counting on his ledger. Castro has the same issue. And so did Brian Matusz, for that matter. Potential without progress is nothing. He hasn’t many any meaningful progress.

16 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I see no reason to hold onto Wynns. 

After thinking about this more, I agree.  I am replacing Wynns with Ynoa for now.  Corn has made the case that the third catcher does not have to be on the 40 man roster and I think he is right.

17 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Kline, Tate, Castro, Alvarado.  Run of the mill, RH relievers.  They pop up all over the place.  We know the first 3 throw hard with no fastball command.   There are more of those on the way.  There always are.

Hyde said last night that he liked what he saw from Tate.   Hyde said he kept Tate in the game too long and the 9th inning homer was on the manager.

8 hours ago, section18 said:

When you throw close to 100 you should hire whoever has the best changeup around to work with him this off season. As our pitching coach says to all of our hard throwers "what is your second best pitch?" "It should be a changeup." This isn't rocket science.

Trying to fit every pitcher into the same mold regardless of their skill set is a mistake.    Did Sandy Koufax or Nolan Ryan even have a changeup?   I like changeups as much as the next guy, but there are plenty of hard throwers who primarily use other secondaries to play off their fastballs.   

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

OK.  And Jimmy Yacabonis has looked lights out at times.  Pretty sure Hyde has had very positive comments about almost every player on the team at one time or another.  

I don't think you watched the game. Tate was basically lights out for an inning plus. Confident, great stuff, hitting his spots. Hyde got a little greedy extending him. I like Tate better than Kline and it's not even close. 

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

I agree about a couple of starters.   Martin/Rondon/Villar at SS.   Nunez/Ruiz/Alberto at 3B.

Not so sure they keep Villar. Nunez is a DH, even on a bad team. Not sure what they do with Martin. He needs to play everyday. My guess is they sign a veteran SS and he starts at AAA. 

I think they add competition at 3B. 

Catcher: Sisco, Severino

IF: Villar, Núñez, Mancini, Martin, Wilkerson, Alberto

OF: Santander, Stewart, Hays

SP: Cobb, Bundy, Means

RP: Givens, Belier, Castro, Fry, Tanner Scott, Armstrong, Kline, Carroll, Harvey, Tate, Ortiz

Should be added IMO: Mountcastle, Diaz, McKenna, Kremer, Akin, Sedlock, Cumberland

First round of DFA material/likely nothing here: Ruiz, Rondon, Yacabonis, Brooks, Rogers, Eshelman, Taylor Scott, Shepherd, Ynoa, Woj, Peterson

2nd round of DFA material/could be pushed off and you’re probably not losing anything: Wynns, Davis, Smith Jr, Mullins, Hess, Phillips

Also consider Mancini, Villar, Givens, etc could be traded for non-40man prospects opening up spots. 

There’s plenty of room. 

46 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Not so sure they keep Villar. Nunez is a DH, even on a bad team. Not sure what they do with Martin. He needs to play everyday. My guess is they sign a veteran SS and he starts at AAA. 

I think they add competition at 3B. 

I agree on Villar.  Rondon could be the veteran SS.   

If Mountcastle is DH then that might push Nunez to 3B.

10 hours ago, section18 said:

That is a great point. But it’s probably been tried already. And his problem is that he cannot consistently control his fastball. 99 mph in a random direction isn’t a fastball, it’s a meteorite.

Archived