Trusting Elias' Plan

Greg Pappas

Cmon guys, I said 2 decades.  That should be a pretty big window.

And I am not trying to be argumentative, but there has to be an honest admission that we are the worst MLB franchise at doing this over this time period.

Back to the thread topic, as long as Mr. Elias’ “plan” involves better developing pitchers AS AN ADMISSION of this, then I think we have come a long way.

If everyone sits here and makes excuses and says that Mike Cuellar was good, David Hernandez worked out, and that Dan Straily will miss his time as an Oriole, then we are just kidding ourselves.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Number5 said:

The Phillies were favored.

Not in Vegas. Not by baseball media. Not by the Fans. The Orioles were prohibitive favorites nationally.

Unless you mean they were favored in Philadelphia. Even then I question the accuracy of the claim. Phillies fans I knew understood they were outmanned at the time.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mike Cuellar

Jim Palmer 

Scott McGregor

Mike Boddicker

Mike Mussina 

Steve Stone

Pat Dobson

I’ll stop there.   My point is, these pitchers are about as relevant to the current situation as your examples.    We’ve got a new pitching coordinator, several new pitching coaches, new analytic tools, etc.     I’m not too worried about how Rick Adair screwed up Jake Arrieta, because he’s not here.   

Having said that, there are at least some holdover coaches around, and it will be interesting to see if Elias replaces any of them this offseason, now that he’s had a year to evaluate things.    

Mussina was already developed when he was drafted.

170 minor league innings did little to nothing to "develop" Mussina as a pitcher.