I hate the Yankees

25 Nuggets

10 hours ago, LA2 said:

To give just one example, the 2014-2015 teams were not much on paper. Girardi led both to second-place finishes and post-season appearances. The rosters for both teams were so weak that no pundits predicted they could go all the way. That wasn't Girardi's fault.

I'm sure Girardi was a veritable wizard to coax 84 wins out of a $258 million payroll in '14.  Wasn't that the highest payroll in the history of baseball?  That was the Yanks version of the 1998 Orioles.  

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm sure Girardi was a veritable wizard to coax 84 wins out of a $258 million payroll in '14.  Wasn't that the highest payroll in the history of baseball?  That was the Yanks version of the 1998 Orioles.  

Red sox 2019 payroll is listed at 249, per Sportrac

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/boston-red-sox/payroll/

Sportrac shows the Yankees at 245 mill.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-yankees/payroll/2014/

34 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Yankees were outscored by 21 runs in 2013 and yet won 85 games; by 31 runs in 2014 and yet won 84 games; and by 22 runs in 2016 and yet won 84 games.    I consider that to be a very good job by Girardi.    Yes he had big payrolls on those teams, but a lot of aging, unproductive players and that wasn’t his fault.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Teixera was by far a bust for them. Almost 1000 games in 8 season, and very good WAR in 4 seasons, and 2 more positive number WAR for 2 bad seasons.

I think most teams would have taken that.

I’m close to wrapping up a project where I’ve calculated the surplus or deficit of every MLB contract in history over $100 mm, using the valuations calculated by Fangraphs based on prevailing free agent prices at the time.  I’ll  be posting the full results within a few days.    But for now, just know that Teixeira was paid $180 mm and his performance based on prevailing prices was worth $123.5 mm, a $56.5 mm deficit.    That’s pretty bad, but there have been about 20 contracts that were worse so far (out of 78 contracts over $100 mm, about 25 of which are too early to judge).   So, bad contract, but one the Yankees could easily afford.    

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m close to wrapping up a project where I’ve calculated the surplus or deficit of every MLB contract in history over $100 mm, using the valuations calculated by Fangraphs based on prevailing free agent prices at the time.  I’ll  be posting the full results within a few days.    But for now, just know that Teixeira was paid $180 mm and his performance based on prevailing prices was worth $123.5 mm, a $56.5 mm deficit.    That’s pretty bad, but there have been about 20 contracts that were worse so far (out of 78 contracts over $100 mm, about 25 of which are too early to judge).   So, bad contract, but one the Yankees could easily afford.    

first 4 years was pretty smooth sailings, as he had a very strong WAR.

Everybody gambles on players not getting hurt, which is not the norm, and they do get hurt, or get older, and somebody both.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not many better ways than to see the Yankees exit the postseason than by seeing Chapman give up a walkoff.  

10 years without a WS appearance.  They must be in meltdown mode.

Try since 1983, dickfarts.  Try that one on for size and let me know how it feels.

Say what you will about Bud Selig, but his expanded playoffs have made it very, very difficult for a team that has unlimited resources and never really has an off year to build a true dynasty.  If this was the old days, prior to playoffs, where you go straight to the World Series, the Yanks would have had six or eight or ten more championships since 2000.  Even with the old 4-team playoffs they'd probably have another 4-5 titles.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Say what you will about Bud Selig, but his expanded playoffs have made it very, very difficult for a team that has unlimited resources and never really has an off year to build a true dynasty.  If this was the old days, prior to playoffs, where you go straight to the World Series, the Yanks would have had six or eight or ten more championships since 2000.  Even with the old 4-team playoffs they'd probably have another 4-5 titles.

I will say what I will about Bud Selig, he gets a bad rap.  He was goofy and folksy and that stupid All-Star debacle was unfortunate but whatever, there's like 40 players on each roster no one could have foreseen running out of pitchers.  He also turned a blind eye to the PED thing because everyone was making money hand over fist and interest in the game was rejuvenated after the '94 strike, I can't hate on him for that.

Way better than the current guy.  Give me Bud all day.