Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

31 minutes ago, theocean said:

Hyde ran away down the tunnel...

He did not run. He calmly walked away, which is what you should do when threatened by a bully. Also in the YES clip you can see even after Davis comes after him Hyde says something before walking off. He did not look scared in the least.

• Thanks 1

I think Hyde needs to channel his frustration to Elias and the ownership to get Davis released

Davis being in the locker room is a negative, his salary is a sunk cost, there is no reasonable explanation to why he is still on the roster, just more of the Angelos family irrationality

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You had a chance to mention his shrinking physique and you missed it.

No joke here. But if he was not immediately taken in for a drug screening after the rage incident, that was the real missed opportunity. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agreed, but doubt it’s for the year. The lack of humility is what kills me. Davis hasn’t earned the right to get upset about any criticism. He should take every insult right on the chin.

You dont know what was said, or how it was conveyed.  Regardless of performance there are general lines of social decency that cant be crossed.  At least you would hope there are.

2 hours ago, BradyBunch said:

Hyde was a stop gap. Kinda like all the managers we had as we "rebuilt " and the Buck came in.  Sadly, all Hyde has cheap ploys, not his fault, but its obvious why we have him. No experienced Managers would take the job cause it's a rebuild. He obviously has a disconnect in developing guys in majors. He talked a good game to Elias, but his inexperience shows. 

Oh, everyone will talk about Davis "losing" his mind. But you ever see Davis do it in Texas (majors or minors) or with Baltimore until Hyde? Davis struggled quietly. Prolly was addressed after games for mistakes by Buck. So a guy (manager) who played a total of 200 games in the minors calling him out in the dugout was too far.  I get it. You do it in the manager's office. Not in the dugout.

It’s just stupid to criticize Hyde when you have no idea who said what to whom.    

To me, Hyde has had Davis’ back all year through thick and thin (mostly thin), and even if he did let his frustration boil over a little in the dugout (which may or may not be the case), I’m not going to crucify him for it.    Just learn from it and move on.   

• Upvote 2

The situation is unfortunate on both sides. Hyde certainly should not have called out a player in the dugout. Any idea what he said? Like, "See you in my office after the game." or "Get your head in the game." Is CD forcing the O's to make a move by not only performing poorly at bat, but now going through the motions on D?? I have never been a huge fan, but I understand his frustration. I certainly understand Hyde's frustration too, having really a 24 man team. Any coach/manager should expect maximum effort from anyone on the team. Davis, it would seem is minimum. IMO, the O's should release him. The team had been pretty entertaining over the last month until the Yankee series. Now this. Get him out of the clubhouse, send him home. My guess is next year, some team might take a flyer on CD. The O's would at least save 555 K or so.

And we still don’t know what was said....Maybe it was this, maybe it was that...either way, physical violence is an unacceptable response generally in the workplace. If I had to be physically restrained from attacking my boss, I am pretty sure it would not be my boss who would be getting sanctioned for calling out my performance.  But prima donna millionaire baseball players? No, they can act out like this and still get supported because  managers should not have called them out “in the dugout.”    I am done with Chris Davis as an Oriole fan.  His behavior was disgraceful and he needs to be fired, imho. 

• Upvote 3

For years I had to watch Machado's lack of effort and all I ever heard was it would be taken care of behind closed doors.  Well whatever happened behind closed doors obviously had zero impact on Machado because he never changed.  Davis looked lazy in the game last night defensively.  Hyde has stressed from day 1 that he would not tolerate lack of effort.  Hyde was likely frustrated last night because the Yankees are making his team look like they don't belong on the same field.  He see's his highest paid player showing minimal effort and he called him out in front of his peers.  Could he of handled it a little better, probably.  Did he get his point across to Davis and the whole roster, absolutely.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Is CD forcing the O's to make a move by not only performing poorly at bat, but now going through the motions on D??

Honestly, I don’t think so.    I did not see the plays in question last night, but to me, Davis has had a pretty good year defensively to this point, and has looked considerably better than last year.    He came to camp a little thinner, had spent a lot of time in the offseason working on flexibility, and I think his reflexes have generally been better on defense this year than they were the last year or two.    If he had some lapses in concentration or effort on defense last night, I don’t think that’s been typical of his season.   

Accountability.

Davis has struggled and has in spite of it generally said the right things.  At the same time, he really hasn't made any changes and the reason for his performance seems to be that he is simply not good enough to perform to his contract, or to really justify a position on a pretty poor team.  I didn't see the game, only the videos floating around during and after.  Hyde certainly could have handled the situation better, but we simply do not know the context for either side.  If he questioned Davis' effort or di so in a way that should have been handled in the office, then Hyde has to learn from that and has to own it.  Hyde has little managerial experience and no doubt is making mistakes in his first year.  He will either improve or he will be a bridge to someone else down the road.  But Davis, is the one who went off and he has to be held accountable too.  It was a terrible series, and a harsh reminder, that even though the Orioles have played better of late, they are a poor team, without the talent and pieces to be competitive night in and night out against better teams.

While we would all like to know exactly what transpired, it's probably best that it was handled the way it was.  In house.  But it seems that both men have to be held accountable for their own actions.  There is such a long way to go...

Davis likely believes his contract buffers him from consequences and he has likely been even more hacked off ever since Showalter (his guy) and all the other veterans left...any other .180 hitting player would likely not have been acting out towards a manager because being DFAd orsent to Norfolk would have been the next step.  Davis knows it and Hyde knows it too...and now the effects on the rest of the team will remain to be seen. 

At least when Reggie did this, he was hitting 32 HRs and 110 rbis and 5 hrs in the Series that year...Davis has no room to be acting out hitting .180 for two years...and look at who had to be restrained in this episode....my, times have changed for sure...

https://youtu.be/HHctFAj1ywI

• Upvote 1