Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

8 minutes ago, theocean said:

I'm sorry that having the audacity to have an opinion that differs with yours is complete garbage.

I think it's important to realize that Brandon Hyde isn't a broadcaster like Jim Hunter, where it is refreshing to hear an announcer or commentator speak to the truth and not sugar-coat things. Brandon Hyde is the manager. His job is to be a leader and make sure the O's win games. If you're looking for the post-game presser to be a source of valuable insight, I think that is a terribly misguided expectation.

We don't need Brandon Hyde to tell us how bad this team is. You're right, everything Hyde has said is correct. But, there's plenty of people on ESPN, MASN, NBC, FOX, and tons of baseball websites to tell us that. What we need is Brandon Hyde to be a manager who keeps the clubhouse together and playing the best that they can. He isn't a commentator. He isn't the Orioles PR team. He's the manager.

Roch has now stated he thinks Davis threw something in frustration, it hit Hyde's foot possibly, Hyde said something that wasn't appreciated, and it set Davis off. Why is a manager doing that? Why is a manager saying to the press that the guys on his team are not good enough? He can do whatever he wants behind closed doors - but not publicly. Whether you agree with that or not - modern baseball players do not like that. At all. Take one look at the Red Sox/Dennis Eckersley situation and you'll know that modern baseball players have certain expectations. Hell, Joe Girardi was a great manager and he got shown the door in New York because the clubhouse wasn't with him.

Simply put, sure - if you're someone doesn't sugar-coat things, that's great. I completely understand. But, me personally, I care about what is effective. And we've seen on countless occasions that modern day baseball players have no patience for some of the things Hyde has been doing lately. We can shout about typical old-man-millenials-are-crybabies takes all day - but it doesn't matter. What matters is effective, and that's not trying to pick a fight with your first baseman. That's not talking to the press about how your pitching staff sucks.

Saying all that, don't you then have to give Hyde credit for not throwing Davis under the bus? He covered for him. 

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a Chris Davis fan, but I'd have to be a complete idiot to not admit that he's been done for two years and needs to go.

That said, this entire "altercation" and discussion is really blown out of control.  Davis obviously did something to spark Hyde to make a comment as he was walking away.  Whatever he said CLEARLY set off Davis.  But it lasted like 2 seconds.  The players weren't "holding him back," it was more of a get in his way for a second until his adrenaline high went away, which was very fast.  Even as Davis is walking back and putting on his batting protection, you can see he's kinda shaking his head but his anger is gone.  

Do I agree he's done as a ballplayer?  Absolutely.

Do I agree he needs to be released?  Clearly.

Do I think THIS INCIDENT should be the catalyst for said release?  No way.  

If he's released, its because it is long overdue and he's not helping the team now or in the future.  It should not be because he and Hyde got into a shouting match.  

Just now, Darkhawk said:

Saying all that, don't you then have to give Hyde credit for not throwing Davis under the bus? He covered for him. 

That's what he's supposed to do, right? I think every manager in MLB would be expected to cover for their players. It's why they run out on the field when their player starts arguing with an umpire, for instance.

I'm not saying that Hyde is some out-of-control manager, but recently it seems like he's letting his personal frustration get to him. I know we all don't like Davis very much and are looking for reasons to get rid of Davis, but Hyde's the leader of the team. He's supposed to be the example.

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

There has got to be more to this story. What in the world would Davis be mad about if he was the one that threw the helmet???

I cannot wait til the day that Davis is released and we can put the misery behind us.

This is called “corporate coverup”

It is obviously BS because they are completely ignoring “Davis had to be physically restrained from going after Hyde”

3 minutes ago, theocean said:

That's what he's supposed to do, right? I think every manager in MLB would be expected to cover for their players. It's why they run out on the field when their player starts arguing with an umpire, for instance.

I'm not saying that Hyde is some out-of-control manager, but recently it seems like he's letting his personal frustration get to him. I know we all don't like Davis very much and are looking for reasons to get rid of Davis, but Hyde's the leader of the team. He's supposed to be the example.

I heard Hyde's comments about our pitching staff and I think they sound worse in print than they did live. What has also been neglected is that in the same press conference Hyde praised the offense and talked about how they show up and they have guys who are having great years. He praised the effort, the approach and the results. 

So to me saying that right now our pitching staff isn't up to par with the best team in the division isn't that big of a deal. He didn't say I wish I had Aroldis Chapman instead I have David Hess. He said we aren't close.

Buck called out and showed up players all the time and from 2012 until the last game of 2016 those teams would have killed for the guy. I don't know if it's right or wrong because I don't know the specific mental make-up of the players. Using Buck again as an example, he would talk publically about different players differently. Some guys he would say yeah they need to get better, others he would say oh you know so and so had a rough game but we're going to put him back out there tomorrow and expect good things blah blah. Because they needed to be handled and motivated differently. 

If both parties were frustrated and at equal fault, and I'm not sure I believe that, then Davis needs to get out front of this and back up Hyde because Hyde has had Davis' back all year and last night was no different.

I can't believe some of you are still as heavily invested in this a day later.  No punches thrown, no dirty laundry aired out in the media.  Just constant speculation but it's clear that the O's are gonna be tightlipped about this and not give any of us anything to chew on.

Won't stop us from trying though.  

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

This is called “corporate coverup”

It is obviously BS because they are completely ignoring “Davis had to be physically restrained from going after Hyde”

Yes. I'm glad the Orioles are handling it this way, but what happened last night was not a typical player-manager disagreement. Davis looked like he was going to hulk out going after Hyde. 

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can't believe some of you are still as heavily invested in this a day later.  No punches thrown, no dirty laundry aired out in the media.  Just constant speculation but it's clear that the O's are gonna be tightlipped about this and not give any of us anything to chew on.

I was hoping at first last night this would be the catalyst for Davis to get DFA-ed from the team. That doesn't seem likely now, so I'm pretty much over it. 

30 minutes ago, theocean said:

I'm sorry that having the audacity to have an opinion that differs with yours is complete garbage.

I think it's important to realize that Brandon Hyde isn't a broadcaster like Jim Hunter, where it is refreshing to hear an announcer or commentator speak to the truth and not sugar-coat things. Brandon Hyde is the manager. His job is to be a leader and make sure the O's win games. If you're looking for the post-game presser to be a source of valuable insight, I think that is a terribly misguided expectation.

We don't need Brandon Hyde to tell us how bad this team is. You're right, everything Hyde has said is correct. But, there's plenty of people on ESPN, MASN, NBC, FOX, and tons of baseball websites to tell us that. What we need is Brandon Hyde to be a manager who keeps the clubhouse together and playing the best that they can. He isn't a commentator. He isn't the Orioles PR team. He's the manager.

Roch has now stated he thinks Davis threw something in frustration, it hit Hyde's foot possibly, Hyde said something that wasn't appreciated, and it set Davis off. Why is a manager doing that? Why is a manager saying to the press that the guys on his team are not good enough? He can do whatever he wants behind closed doors - but not publicly. Whether you agree with that or not - modern baseball players do not like that. At all. Take one look at the Red Sox/Dennis Eckersley situation and you'll know that modern baseball players have certain expectations. Hell, Joe Girardi was a great manager and he got shown the door in New York because the clubhouse wasn't with him.

Simply put, sure - if you're someone doesn't sugar-coat things, that's great. I completely understand. But, me personally, I care about what is effective. And we've seen on countless occasions that modern day baseball players have no patience for some of the things Hyde has been doing lately. We can shout about typical old-man-millenials-are-crybabies takes all day - but it doesn't matter. What matters is effective, and that's not trying to pick a fight with your first baseman. That's not talking to the press about how your pitching staff sucks.

Your anti-Hyde bias is on full display and skews any view you would have on this situation.

You certainly have every right to have your opinion, and feel free to keep expressing it, but I think anyone who thinks Hyde should be giving idiotic fluffy statements about the pitching vs the truth, or biting his lip and not say anything when your over paid awful veteran throws something that hits you is something I think is ridiculous. 

Also, if you guys believe this only had to do with helmet hitting him as being reported by the Orioles media, then I've got some waterfront property to sell you in the Arizona desert. Hyde has never reacted like that to any player, and I doubt it was only because of something got tossed and hit him.

Hyde has been placed in a difficult situation in which he must keep on the roster and play multiple non-major league caliber players, including Davis. He's done a great job, but if people don't think it gets frustrating to watch this day in and day out even while knowing the situation, then you don't understand the competitiveness of players and managers that get to that level.

I love the fact he talks to us and doesn't completely sugar coat it with BS like others have done in the past. Would you want to hear things like, "They're trying really hard, but the other team is just hot right now?" No, Id rather hear the truth what is this team doesn't have much real major league pitching in it's bullpen and the recycled options have been awful while making the same grooved pitches.

Hyde didn't pick any fight and he didn't physically go after another person in the dugout. That is on Davis only and unless I hear that Hyde crossed some kind of line by talking about his family, race, or religion (what I'll be my house that he didn't), Davis is 100% in the wrong in this situation for how he handled it by going after him physically.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We're all really just biding our time for more bromantic banter between you and Can_of_corn. ?

Here’s my current take:

1.    Based on Roch’s latest report, it seems Davis is more at fault for starting the incident than some thought.    But I’m still reluctant to assign blame for the matter escalating.    

2.    I wouldn’t call Davis’ approach to Hyde an “attack.”    For all we know, he was just going to get in Hyde’s face to make his point.   When other players stepped in he retreated to the bench pretty quickly.   So let’s not treat this like it’s Papelbon choking Harper.    

3.   Hyde took the correct approach in the post game presser and deescalated the situation.   I didn’t see anything happen in the dugout that warrants a suspension .   It requires a discussion man-to-man, and that’s what will happen.  

4.  Frankly, I think the whole incident has been a bit overblown. In sports, sometimes things get overheated.    Then you calm down and move on.   

5.  With all that said, Davis is not a major league quality baseball player anymore.    He should have been cut for quality-related reasons already.   So, if there’s any long-term repercussions of this in the clubhouse (which I doubt), that’s just one more reason to jettison a player who should have been jettisoned by now anyway.   And there’s no reason for me to engage in character assassination of Davis to reach that conclusion.   

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

For Mountain replace with Orioles pitching; for molehill replace with Davis/Hyde fight.

Is the mountain the Orioles pitching because opposing batters have a tendency to hit the ball over the mountain when facing them?

Archived