O's Have Drafted the Third Lowest WAR Since 1995

Can_of_corn

Very interesting graph and thanks to Corn for posting. The Orioles would look much better if you repeated the analysis starting in say 2005. Still not great, but Weiters, Manny, Britton, etc, make the 2005-2018 Orioles much more respectable. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Very interesting graph and thanks to Corn for posting. The Orioles would look much better if you repeated the analysis starting in say 2005. Still not great, but Weiters, Manny, Britton, etc, make the 2005-2018 Orioles much more respectable. 

They still had a ton of 1st round busts. I know it doesn’t effect WAR. But Britton was a disappointment considering he was projected as a TOR starter. Winters had a decent career but was a disappointment based on projections.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

DeWitt was part of the Angelos group that outbid Jeffrey Loria

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-08-03-1993215088-story.html

Baltimore Sun, August 3, 1993  

Well, that's interesting. So the DeWitt's saved our franchise twice!! 

1) Bill Sr. delivering F. Robby in 1965-66, and

2) Bill Jr. chipping in with PA to keep the club in B'more in '93.

14 minutes ago, now said:

Well, that's interesting. So the DeWitt's saved our franchise twice!! 

1) Bill Sr. delivering F. Robby in 1965-66, and

2) Bill Jr. chipping in with PA to keep the club in B'more in '93.

Despite all this talk about Nashville, the club was never in danger of being moved when Angelos bought the team in 93.    The Orioles were going to be owned by Angelos or Loria.  With those choices, the Orioles got the lesser of two evils.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Mariners drafted Arod, Gonzalez wasn't drafted.

The Rangers drafted Sammy Sosa I think and Kenny Rogers and Kevin Brown. Lot of good players.

Im kind of surprised at how little relationship there is between successful drafting and world championships. The Cardinals have won what, one WS since ‘95? The D-Backs won one but most of the top teams have none. 

5 hours ago, sevastras said:

I think that the interesting part isnt how bad they have done(development and injuries definitely play in as well) but the amount of WAR that was retained is better than 9 other teams.  So for as little WAR has been produced by their draft picks, they are getting more out of those draft picks than say Texas who has done very well but traded off or lost the players.

I’d like to know more about the methodology.   If you trade a player you drafted for another player, you don’t get credit for the WAR the drafted player accrues after the trade, even if you get equivalent or better value from the player you acquired in the trade.    

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

They still had a ton of 1st round busts. I know it doesn’t effect WAR. But Britton was a disappointment considering he was projected as a TOR starter. Winters had a decent career but was a disappointment based on projections.

I didn’t say they would be great, but they were much better after about 2005. Wieters and Britton were good picks and were not poorly developed. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d like to know more about the methodology.   If you trade a player you drafted for another player, you don’t get credit for the WAR the drafted player accrues after the trade, even if you get equivalent or better value from the player you acquired in the trade.    

Yeah, there is a lot to how they got here that isn't really explained.

Archived