Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

On 9/20/2019 at 9:05 AM, Aristotelian said:

Lol, you guys have been too used to Wilkerson/Santander/old Jones.

I did not say that that ball is caught every time, but you should act like you expect to catch it. It was a catchable ball and he caught it. 

I am very excited that he appears to be a bona fide CF, something we haven't had in several years. To the eye test, he may be just as fast as Mullins but gets way better jumps, going back as well as coming in. If we can finally move on from Mancini in the OF, I am excited to have an improved defense out there with guys who can catch the ball at all three positions.

They were still talking about that catch today when they rated his catch from last night as the play of the day. Someone said it was second only to the Bradley catch from earlier this season.

32 minutes ago, weams said:

They were still talking about that catch today when they rated his catch from last night as the play of the day. Someone said it was second only to the Bradley catch from earlier this season.

From Roch:

Outfielder DJ Stewart scored the play a 10, “especially the situation of the game when they already hit two home runs back-to-back.”

“We practice that stuff with Arnie (Beyeler) during the outfield drills and stuff, but Austin hasn’t even been here that long and hasn’t really been playing center field that long,” Stewart said.

What’s more impressive, how Hays made the catch, stuck the landing or pounded his chest?

“Stuck the landing, I would say, just because he has to deal with the wall, the ball and kind of knocking him off balance,” Stewart said.

“I don’t know if I would have pounded my chest like that. One of the trainers asked me why I don’t pound my chest when I make a catch like that. I was like, ‘It’s because of him being excited in the moment.’ It was a heck of a play.”

Stevie Wilkerson rewarded Hays for the catch and everything that followed before he threw the ball back to the infield.

“That plays up,” Wilkerson said.

Pitcher David Hess gave Hays a 9.5. There’s always that one Olympic judge.

“I said this actually last night, I think the only catch of my life that I’ve seen that’s a little better was the Jackie Bradley Jr. catch from earlier this year because he almost got completely over the wall,” Hess said.

“I think I’ve got to give it not quite a perfect 10. That’s a pretty special thing to get. But it was up there with as good a catch as I’ve ever seen.

Hess deducted a half-point for Hays’ celebration.

“The saying is you’ve got to act like you’ve been there before,” Hess said, smiling, “so that for me maybe just takes it down a notch. Just because I have to give him a hard time about it. But that was an incredibly exciting play.

“I won’t hold it against him too much.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/leftovers-for-breakfast-94.html

12 hours ago, LA2 said:

I appreciate the historical perspective implied, although I was initially confused and annoyed by having to check what year each post was.

Hail to OFFNY, Master of our Archive !!!

o

I believe that I took that mantel from none other than ........ Frobby.

o