Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

11 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Some fantasy keeper leagues are geared to this too - Kyle Tucker has the same 120 AB's as Hays entering the last 4 days.  If we're triangulating for 2020 ROY, Tucker playing 3 out of the clinched Astros last 4 would be a big help.

if 2020 goes well, Orioles will congest the ROY rankings - I'd hope Harvey, Mountcastle, Diaz and even Akin rate by this time next year.

Last year and this year, the Rays have broken in talented relievers.  Diego Castillo debuted June 6 and threw 56 innings last year.  This year, Colin Poche debuted June 8 and with four days to go is at 50 innings - he'll get another couple the next four days.  Kudos to Tampa for perhaps having it both ways with Super Two and Rookie of the Year avoidance - macro arbitration management.

I think in 2010 Neftalí Feliz won rookie of the year as a reliever, but I don’t think it’s easy for a reliever to win.

Vlad Junior was much hyped, and although he’s hit pretty well, his defense is not good. Hays’ scouting report Pegged him at a 50 On defense, which is solid average. He seems to have been better than that so far, so I would probably give him the nod over Mountcastle or any of our pitchers, Especially since it seems that none of our rookies Will break camp with the team.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I think in 2010 Neftalí Feliz won rookie of the year as a reliever, but I don’t think it’s easy for a reliever to win.

Vlad Junior was much hyped, and although he’s hit pretty well, his defense is not good. Hays’ scouting report Pegged him at a 50 On defense, which is solid average. He seems to have been better than that so far, so I would probably give him the nod over Mountcastle or any of our pitchers, Especially since it seems that none of our rookies Will break camp with the team.

I feel like if Harvey holds up for 55-60 innings and they let him get the 25-30 saves, he might be the award's best candidate, even if Hays/Mountcastle/Diaz acquit themselves respectably in 500-ish PA's, or Akin in 25 starts.

Given how giddy Hyde has seemed talking about him, I think he's the guy I'd pick if I had to bet on one Oriole for 2020 ROY.  I also feel like even Elias/Sig may be okay letting him try to run with the role, maximizing the next 3 years with the thought the arm will be blown out by (if not before) the time arb comes around.

If Dad is destiny, Bryan Harvey also got a few innings his Age-24 season before proceeding to save 17/25/25/46 games the ensuing four seasons.

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I feel like if Harvey holds up for 55-60 innings and they let him get the 25-30 saves, he might be the award's best candidate, even if Hays/Mountcastle/Diaz acquit themselves respectably in 500-ish PA's, or Akin in 25 starts.

Given how giddy Hyde has seemed talking about him, I think he's the guy I'd pick if I had to bet on one Oriole for 2020 ROY.  I also feel like even Elias/Sig may be okay letting him try to run with the role, maximizing the next 3 years with the thought the arm will be blown out by (if not before) the time arb comes around.

If Dad is destiny, Bryan Harvey also got a few innings his Age-24 season before proceeding to save 17/25/25/46 games the ensuing four seasons.

Everybody talked giddy about Bundy and Gausman until they showed in the MLB and wasn't able to live up to the hype.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Everybody talked giddy about Bundy and Gausman until they showed in the MLB and wasn't able to live up to the hype.

Well Bundy was almost entirely due to injury.  You can see from his repertoire why he was so well-regarded.  Imagine if he still had that FB that sat at 95/96.  He'd be a TOR starter.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Bundy's arm was ravaged by injuries and I grade him on a curve. Gausman doesn't have that excuse, he's been a two pitch pitcher who has been more of a thrower rather than a pitcher. Dave Johnson constantly criticized Gausman for his mediocre pitching and he uncanny ability to throw center cut fastballs on 0-2 counts.

I suspect much of the criticism stemmed from Dave because he made the most of his ability with a fastball that couldn't break a pane of glass. While Gausman could still throw it 99 MPH in the sixth inning with ease.

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Well Bundy was almost entirely due to injury.  You can see from his repertoire why he was so well-regarded.  Imagine if he still had that FB that sat at 95/96.  He'd be a TOR starter.

Bundy looked like another Roger Clemens or Tom Seaver when he initially came up pitching with velocities in the upper 90s. If Gausman topped out in the low 90's like Bundy does now, Gausman would have never made it past AA. 

32 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm not sure I agree 100%. Bundy's fastball velocity trended down as soon as he became a professional. Each year he came back and the velocity fell, partially because he found he commanded his fastball better without full effort, and partially because he just throw slower. Now, could it be partially because of the surgeries? Perhaps, but he never really had the body of a pitcher who would throw in the upper 90s consistently.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure I agree 100%. Bundy's fastball velocity trended down as soon as he became a professional. Each year he came back and the velocity fell, partially because he found he commanded his fastball better without full effort, and partially because he just throw slower. Now, could it be partially because of the surgeries? Perhaps, but he never really had the body of a pitcher who would throw in the upper 90s consistently.

My assumption was that it was always related to his high school workout routine. I love fitness. I don't love extreme impact/resistance fitness. I think he did it to himself.

6 hours ago, LookinUp said:

My assumption was that it was always related to his high school workout routine. I love fitness. I don't love extreme impact/resistance fitness. I think he did it to himself.

I think if it was due to high school workload, it was less about the workouts and more about the huge amount of competitive pitches thrown. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Didn't I see Bundy clocked at 93 a few times against Toronto earlier in the week? Any chance he can get back to 95-96 with off-season work?

He touched 95 in June, I guess you mean sit 95-96. There is always a chance, but it's extremely small, he's at an age where it's common to lose velocity rather than gain it. 

I think there is room for improvement without a significant velocity bump. I'd be interested in seeing him attempt a Masahiro Tanaka pitch mix (30% FB, 40% breaking balls, 30% changeups), or something in that direction. Bundy's offspeed stuff is superior to Tanaka's and he's more like 50/33/17.

• Upvote 1

Hays coming on at CF really makes this lineup have above average potential for next year. Next year will be tank city again so we won’t see this till after the clock games with Mountcastle,

1. Villar SS S

2. Hays CF R

3. Mancini 1B R

4. Santander RF S

5. Mountcastle DH R

6. Nunez 3B R

7.  Alberto 2B R

8.  Smith Jr LF L

9.  Sisco C L

Severino, Ruiz, Stewart, Wilkerson

Villar will be gone, but if you could add Diaz to LF while Villar is here, whew we’d be real fun to watch. 

• Upvote 1