Three Things: An Off-season Wish List

Greg Pappas

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Elias wants to ask them to cut him .....until he has to.

That makes it sound like they have never discussed it and he would have to ask.

I'm sure they have discussed it and he has been told the parameters of when he can cut bait with Davis.

Elias doesn't strike me as someone who would let the status quo ride along until the last minute nad then timidly knock on the Angelos' door and ask about it.   He knows EXACTLY what he is allowed to do and when.   The communication has already taken placer.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That makes it sound like they have never discussed it and he would have to ask.

I'm sure they have discussed it and he has been told the parameters of when he can cut bait with Davis.

Elias doesn't strike me as someone who would let the status quo ride along until the last minute nad then timidly knock on the Angelos' door and ask about it.   He knows EXACTLY what he is allowed to do and when.   The communication has already taken placer.

No chance the hiring interview didn't include Davis.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

We all want to see the O's get better... competing at a high level on an annual basis. Towards that end, this off-season could be an interesting one, as it'll be Mike Elias' first full one as GM.

If you were to choose three things that you'd like to see happen this off-season, which three things would it be?
Here are mine:

1. Trade Mancini (Turns 28 a week before the start of the 2020 season)
  2. Trade Villar (Turns 29 on May 2nd)
  3. Release Chris Davis (Turns... my stomach. I keed, I keed :P )

Naturally, I don't wish to see us trade Mancini or Villar for the sake of trading them, but rather to acquire quality prospects.

Anyway, what are Your Three Things

Team probably will lose 110 games this season and you want to trade our best 2 players.  

9 hours ago, 24fps said:

What do I want in 2020?  I'll be satisfied with a bullpen that deserves to be called major league.  Tonight's game was a disgrace.

There’s nothing worse for a fan than having an awful bullpen that frequently blows games late.   So frustrating.   That said, if our bullpen was average, we’d probably be getting no better than the fourth pick next year, instead of probably getting the second pick.     That’s what I tell myself to calm down on nights like last night.   

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like an emotional response to me.   Do you think Elias believes its a wise move to add 555K to a losing team?  Without better pitching the O's are going to lose in 2020.   If they release Davis they have to spend  another 555k to replace him on a losing team.   That makes no sense to me.

Now when Elias believes the O's will have the pitching to be a contender then the time will have come for Davis to go IMO.  That process probably begins with the pitchers that were at AA this season coming to the majors.  For some of them maybe as soon as the 2nd half of 2020.  But by that time the O's will probably be 15 games out.   So maybe Davis goes after the 2020 season.  That is my best guess.

Keeping Davis beyond this year even with rosters expanding is essentially saying we need 550K more than the developmental position.  If this is the case the rebuild is over.  Elias has kept Davis to give him every opportunity to succeed.  I am sure he committed this to ownership in an interview.  Many here would have been happy if Davis was cut this spring, but it made since for the new guys to take a crack at improvement and they have.  Doing so next year would be harder to justify.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

Not campaigning.  Just telling you what I think will happen based on how Elias has been managing.

But you also say it makes no sense to you.  I think 550K is cheap and Davis' money is what it is.  Would it make sense to only carry 25  next year to save 550K?  Cause that is what you are saying.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think for a second that Elias wants him back but I'm not certain ownership will allow him to be cut.

It would be hard to not question this if he returns another year.

10 hours ago, LA2 said:

If they keep Davis, what role(s) do you foresee him fulfilling?

The role of proving Can of Corn correct. ;) 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There’s nothing worse for a fan than having an awful bullpen that frequently blows games late.   So frustrating.   That said, if our bullpen was average, we’d probably be getting no better than the fourth pick next year, instead of probably getting the second pick.     That’s what I tell myself to calm down on nights like last night.   

I rarely have time these days to watch a whole game.  Last night I was able to watch from the third inning on, so the late-game meltdown was all the more infuriating.  

49 minutes ago, foxfield said:

But you also say it makes no sense to you.  I think 550K is cheap and Davis' money is what it is.  Would it make sense to only carry 25  next year to save 550K?  Cause that is what you are saying.

It makes not sense to me that Elias would spend the exact 555k to get rid of Davis.   Elias has not spent on players since he arrived.  He knows 2020 is probably a losing season.   I don't expect him to spend this off season therefore I think he is likely to save the 555k and keep Davis as long as the O's are projected to lose.  

Hopefully the pitchers who had success at Bowie and Akin can help the O's turn this pitching staff around by 2021.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Keeping Davis beyond this year even with rosters expanding is essentially saying we need 550K more than the developmental position.

No, it's saying that ownership won't allow the GM to do what is the obvious move both fiscally and performance-wise.  If Elias had full decision making power over this issue Davis would have been released last December.  It's nonsense to think they're keeping one of the worst players in the majors on the roster for multiple years to save 0.2% of annual revenues.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

It makes not sense to me that Elias would spend the exact 555k to get rid of Davis.   Elias has not spent on players since he arrived.  He knows 2020 is probably a losing season.   I don't expect him to spend this off season therefore I think he is likely to save the 555k and keep Davis as long as the O's are projected to lose.  

Hopefully the pitchers who had success at Bowie and Akin can help the O's turn this pitching staff around by 2021.

This is fair from a dollar and sense standpoint...you are correct that the cost of removing Davis is player minimum.  However, the cost of wasting a position beyond this year when Davis is without question no longer a major league performer means....

46 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No, it's saying that ownership won't allow the GM to do what is the obvious move both fiscally and performance-wise.  If Elias had full decision making power over this issue Davis would have been released last December.  It's nonsense to think they're keeping one of the worst players in the majors on the roster for multiple years to save 0.2% of annual revenues.

THIS.  Yes DrungoHazewood, I agree.  I see the argument that keeping Davis this year as debatable as it was likely agreed to in the interview process.  Something along the lines of we will take a look and see if we can change anything.  But 100%, if he shows up in camp next year, it is an ownership decision.  There is no longer a baseball reason to keep him on the roster.  Period.