Three Things: An Off-season Wish List

Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think when he team is ready to win again if Davis is not preforming in a helpful manner then he  needs to go.   I don't see the O's being at that point yet.   Maybe in another year.   

Players get hurt all the time.  As a bench player Davis can step in for them.   Also there are a lot of unproven players that the league may adjust to and they will may be sent down.  (see Mullins, not for Davis but because he is a example of an unproven player that needed to go down)    Davis may find playing time for those players also.  

The 26th man makes it easier to keep Davis on the 26 man roster.

Davis needs to go now.  We're well beyond the point where there's any hope of him salvaging anything productive.  He's not playing in September, just 12 ABs in over two weeks.  I have to hope that he'll be gone early in the offseason.  The 26th man should be for something productive, not so they can go with 25 players in 2020.

Davis is now like carrying a Rule 5er who you're 100% absolutely certain will never be a productive major leaguer.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Davis needs to go now.  We're well beyond the point where there's any hope of him salvaging anything productive.  He's not playing in September, just 12 ABs in over two weeks.  I have to hope that he'll be gone early in the offseason.  The 26th man should be for something productive, not so they can go with 25 players in 2020.

Davis is now like carrying a Rule 5er who you're 100% absolutely certain will never be a productive major leaguer.

Sounds like an emotional response to me.   Do you think Elias believes its a wise move to add 555K to a losing team?  Without better pitching the O's are going to lose in 2020.   If they release Davis they have to spend  another 555k to replace him on a losing team.   That makes no sense to me.

Now when Elias believes the O's will have the pitching to be a contender then the time will have come for Davis to go IMO.  That process probably begins with the pitchers that were at AA this season coming to the majors.  For some of them maybe as soon as the 2nd half of 2020.  But by that time the O's will probably be 15 games out.   So maybe Davis goes after the 2020 season.  That is my best guess.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like an emotional response to me.   Do you think Elias believes its a wise move to add 555K to a losing team?  Without better pitching the O's are going to lose in 2020.   If they release Davis they have to spend  another 555k to replace him on a losing team.   That makes no sense to me.

Now when Elias believes the O's will have the pitching to be a contender then the time will have come for Davis to go IMO.  That process probably begins with the pitchers that were at AA this season coming to the majors.  For some of them maybe as soon as the 2nd half of 2020.  But by that time the O's will probably be 15 games out.   So maybe Davis goes after the 2020 season.  That is my best guess.

Do you really think 555k is going to be the difference here?

They can use that 26th man spot on either: A Rule 5 pick that is easier to stash if needbe, a pitcher so they don't have to shuttle as much to get a fresh arm (especially on West Coast trips), and even on a player that might be a little banged up and need 3 games off, but you don't want to put them on the 10 day or have as short a bench (like the "2 man bench" games they had for about a week.)

If Davis is not going to play or produce and isn't exactly auditioning for the future, he is just taking up space. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I believe that the Orioles have annual revenues of something like $250M and a franchise value somewhere north of $1B.  They didn't trade Givens or Villar or Mancini, costing them millions of dollars if an absolute minimum payroll is their goal.  If they're keeping Chris Davis to save $555k they're not terribly bright.  And Mike Elias is terribly bright.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I believe that the Orioles have annual revenues of something like $250M and a franchise value somewhere north of $1B.  They didn't trade Givens or Villar or Mancini, costing them millions of dollars if an absolute minimum payroll is their goal.  If they're keeping Chris Davis to save $555k they're not terribly bright.  And Mike Elias is terribly bright.

He probably kept Villar and Givens because he thought he could get better deals later.   There was no reason to trade Mancini last Sept.  He was making the minimum.  He has squeezed as much money has he can out of the roster so he can spend it on young talent, player development and analytics.    Do I think 555k makes a difference to Elias? Sure, since he probably thinks 2020 is another losing season.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

You campaigning to keep Davis on the roster for next season is one of the weirder things I've seen on here lately.