Three Things: An Off-season Wish List

Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't think the O's need to cut Davis to have room on the 40 man roster for a Rule 5 guy.

I think the O's need to cut Davis even if they only carry 39....at some point, keeping him undermines the seriousness of what they are doing.  The man can't contribute and I appreciate everything he has done.  But done is the key word and it is all that remains.  The money is what it is.  Failing to utilize his spot because of a financial commitment is tantamount to compounding an error.  There is no credible argument to have Davis.

That said, I am open to hearing one.  Saving 550K or not having better players is not an argument, it's an indictment that the rebuild is not progressing and it is gasoline on the fire of anyone who doubts that Elias has say over Davis.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I think the O's need to cut Davis even if they only carry 39....at some point, keeping him undermines the seriousness of what they are doing.  The man can't contribute and I appreciate everything he has done.  But done is the key word and it is all that remains.  The money is what it is.  Failing to utilize his spot because of a financial commitment is tantamount to compounding an error.  There is no credible argument to have Davis.

That said, I am open to hearing one.  Saving 550K or not having better players is not an argument, it's an indictment that the rebuild is not progressing and it is gasoline on the fire of anyone who doubts that Elias has say over Davis.

This would be the biggest gripe I have with Davis on the roster next year. Elias might have been like ok I'll give Davis one season to see if anything is left in the tank. Well the tank is empty and it's time to figure out an exit strategy.

Davis being at OPACY on opening day is going to start to lead to questions on what other areas of roster management does Elias not have total control. (Outside of maybe an expensive free agent signing or Elias wanting to spend over budget.)

Hmmm.

I see three things as delaying our rebuild: bringing up any prospect too soon( Although I don’t care about service time issues, if a guy’s ready, bring him up) signing any high dollar free agent, and trading away prospects. So don’t do those things.

(The Straily/Karns signings were exactly what we needed even though they both failed. But several other inexpensive pickups worked reasonably well)

With that in mind, I would like to win as many games as possible without jeopardizing our future. 70 wins is better than 50. Do whatever three things will help that goal.

My 3:

Get rid of Davis. He isn't a ML capable player anymore. The money is a sunk cost. Bite the bullet and cut him loose.

Find some pitching. Doesn't have to be expensive or flashy. Just a few guys that can get more outs.

Tighten up the D. Again, not expensive or flashy, just a bit above average.

Next year is year 2 of the rebuild so I'll be patient. These would be prudent goals for now.

After watching this season, and following the minors closely, I hope we have a fire sale in the offseason. There is some hope that the Bowie guys will be real close in AAA next year, but see Keegan Akin. He’s barely mentioned around here. The reality is that we’re probably looking at 2023 to “compete”. Give me the #1 pick in 2021, and this roster below,

SP:

Means, Cobb, Wojo, Akin, Ynoa

Armstrong, Fry, Bleier, Harvey, Tate, Kline, Shepherd, Brooks

Alberto 2B

Hays CF

Santander RF 

Nunez DH

Ruiz 3B

Mountcastle 1B (after earning a 7th year of control)

Stewart LF

Sisco C 

Martin SS

Wilkerson, Smith, Wynns 

If I didn’t list the player, well that means that got traded. Who cares if we break the Mets record?  Records are made to be broken. 

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't think the O's need to cut Davis to have room on the 40 man roster for a Rule 5 guy.

I don't think they'll need to, but I'm 100% sure Elias will want as much flexibility as possible to add guys from other orgs who fit his models. Davis most certainly doesn't fit his models.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

After watching this season, and following the minors closely, I hope we have a fire sale in the offseason. There is some hope that the Bowie guys will be real close in AAA next year, but see Keegan Akin. He’s barely mentioned around here. The reality is that we’re probably looking at 2023 to “compete”. Give me the #1 pick in 2021, and this roster below,

SP:

Means, Cobb, Wojo, Akin, Ynoa

Armstrong, Fry, Bleier, Harvey, Tate, Kline, Shepherd, Brooks

Alberto 2B

Hays CF

Santander RF 

Nunez DH

Ruiz 3B

Mountcastle 1B (after earning a 7th year of control)

Stewart LF

Sisco C 

Martin SS

Wilkerson, Smith, Wynns 

If I didn’t list the player, well that means that got traded. Who cares if we break the Mets record?  Records are made to be broken. 

I think several of the pitchers you mentioned will be non tendered or released this off season.   My guess is Elias will bring in cheap pitchers from other organizations and 6 year minor league free agents.   Some will be on the O's major league roster and others will be sign to minor league contracts with an invite to ST.

I'm interested to see how Elias positions his priorities this offseason. The most impactful things (long-term) that are going to happen are the player development and scouting hires, international facilities development, etc. I'm sure we will see a lot of those. 

What I'm not sure about is how he sees the 2020 Orioles major league team. Clearly he's going to want guys like Montcastle, Hays, Kremer, maybe even Bannon to be in the majors at some point. He's not going to block those guys substantially. And he's going to see some of the step out pieces this year, like Santander, Alberto, Severino, Means, Harvey, etc., be major contributors.

What he can do is a better job of patching some of the real issues on this team.  A few improved bullpen arms, a reasonable starter, and a passable middle infielder are within reach and would help get this team closer to 60+ wins. But does Elias care about that?  I'm just not sure. He might take the Houston route and let the pot simmer until there is a major one-year improvement, then go all-in from there.

• Upvote 1