Palmer gets company.

weams

15 hours ago, weams said:

Those were incredible teams. Playing a different game before the reserve clause was removed. 

My first memories are of '79 but I remember re-reading a gazillion times the World Series program with its tables highlighting how the club had played like .590 ball for a decade.

I saw recently the 2017-2019 Astros had about matched the 1969-1971 Orioles at some of the best 3-year spans of wins, run differential, etc.  I guess they're bidding now not to fall into the "way too few championships for how great you were" basket like those Orioles and the '90's Braves did.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

My first memories are of '79 but I remember re-reading a gazillion times the World Series program with its tables highlighting how the club had played like .590 ball for a decade.

I saw recently the 2017-2019 Astros had about matched the 1969-1971 Orioles at some of the best 3-year spans of wins, run differential, etc.  I guess they're bidding now not to fall into the "way too few championships for how great you were" basket like those Orioles and the '90's Braves did.

Also the A’s teams of 2001-03, who won 301 games in three years but only one World Series.    By contrast, the 1972-74 A’s won only 277 games while winning the World Series three straight years.   It always stuck in my craw that those A’s teams got more postseason glory than the 1969-71 O’s that won 318 regular season games and swept three straight ALCS.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:00 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Morris' 10-Inning, CG-Shutout in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series was one of the last gasps to a soon-to-be-gone era of complete games and shutouts (in both the regular season and the post-season.)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN199110270.shtml

2 years later, Curt Schilling's CG-Shutout in Game 5 of the 1993 World Series was perhaps equally as impressive, considering the circumstances ........ the Phillies' bullpen was so depleted from the previous day's 15-14 disaster that the late Jim Fregosi told Schilling before the game that there would be NO HELP FROM THE BULLPEN WHATSOEVER, regardless of the circumstances, and he meant it ........ Schilling threw 147 pitches in that game, and it was almost surreal looking at a (literally) empty Phillies bullpen in the 8th and 9th innings while the Phillies were clinging to a precarious 2-0 lead, and with his team being down 3 Games to 1 in the series overall.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PHI/PHI199310210.shtml

o

o

Tim Kurkjian points out that since that day, only two pitchers have thrown a 10-inning, 1-0 shutout ........ but neither has come in the post-season, let alone in Game 7 of the World Series. ) O.o

The 1979 Orioles are the last piece of the article, with Kurkjian referencing what went into Earl Weaver's decision to pinch-hit John Lowentstein for Mark Belanger for his game-winning, walk-off home run against the Angels in Game 1 of that season's ALCS, and the late Mike Flanagan explaining why the Orioles were slightly tardy for the pre-game introductions for Game 1 of the World Series against the Pirates ........ "We were in the clubhouse, waiting for (famed TV) Judge Wapner to make his ruling. We couldn't leave until we knew." 

Kurkjian's October Tales: A Monster on the Mound, and the Biggest Reds Fan in the Nursery Ward

(By Tim Kurkjian)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27476192/kurkjian-october-tales-monster-mound-biggest-reds-fan-nursery-ward

o

On 10/6/2019 at 2:35 PM, weams said:

"...in recording multiple career postseason games with more than 12 strikeouts, Cole joined an elite list that includes only himself, Bob Gibson, Jim Palmer, and Tom Seaver. "

Didn't Moose do that? Or does it have to be in the same year?

On 10/7/2019 at 6:44 PM, Oriole1940 said:

Modern day Oriole fans who never got to see the Really good Oriole teams play or see the fabulous individual performances, just from reading about them, I doubt that they realize  just how good both the teams and the individual performances were.  Stats tell the outcome, but do not have any feeling or emotions to them.  

I'm not modern but I only saw the mid-70's teams growing up. WISH I was old enough to see the championship teams. Like I've posted before, I became a diehard Orioles fan when I got the Boy's Life mag after the 1970 Series. In Little League (early-mid-70's) our team would always go to an O's game or 2 every year. Right on thru Pony and Colt Leagues. Had some GREAT times down at Memorial Stadium, wild times cuz our dads all drank. ? Which was ok at the time. :disco:

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, scOtt said:

And in pantyhose and the chicks DUG IT!

Actually Namath wore panty hose...Palmer was the Jockey underwear spokesman for years.   This commercial was not approved by Orioles or MLB so you see Ripken wearing a 9 of an unknown uniform and Dempsey too.

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Actually Namath wore panty hose...Palmer was the Jockey underwear spokesman for years.   This commercial was not approved by Orioles or MLB so you see Ripken wearing a 9 of an unknown uniform and Dempsey too.

Pantyhose, underwear, I knew it was something that I didn't want to see. And can't unsee now...

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Also the A’s teams of 2001-03, who won 301 games in three years but only one World Series.    By contrast, the 1972-74 A’s won only 277 games while winning the World Series three straight years.   It always stuck in my craw that those A’s teams got more postseason glory than the 1969-71 O’s that won 318 regular season games and swept three straight ALCS.

Do you mean the A's teams of 1988-90? The 2001-03 versions only made it as far as the ALDS. 

5 hours ago, scOtt said:

"...in recording multiple career postseason games with more than 12 strikeouts, Cole joined an elite list that includes only himself, Bob Gibson, Jim Palmer, and Tom Seaver. "

Didn't Moose do that? Or does it have to be in the same year?

Not in playoffs or WS. No.