Outfield 2020... Who ya got?

Greg Pappas

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well let's check the statcast:

Players:          Reaction   Burst   Route   Feet vs AVG   Feet covered
Stewart              -1.0         -2.5      -1.2           -4.7                   29.1
Smith Jr.            -0.4         -2.4       0.0           -2.8                   30.8
Mancini              -0.1         -2.2      -0.1           -2.5                   30.9

So by pure metrics, Stewart was worse than Smith in the outfield and Mancini was better than both though only marginal better than Smith. He was actually much worse than I recall watching in the minors so not sure if the upper decks messed him up some or not, by Stewart by just about any metric was awful defensively.

Do Stewart and Smith get penalized from their time in CF?  I don’t know, and I don’t know how it works enough to know if their small time in CF would matter. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Do Stewart and Smith get penalized from their time in CF?  I don’t know, and I don’t know how it works enough to know if their small time in CF would matter. 

Those numbers don't care what position you play. As far as I know, they assess how quickly and efficiently the player moves from stop until he catches the ball.

3 hours ago, weams said:

Tony's data is raw data. Not subjective or an aggregate value attempt. There appears to be no human factor either. 

Exactly, which is why I love them. There is no more, "He gets a good jump or he doesn't take good routes. With this data, you have the exact data to tell you whether that's true or not.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure there will be plenty of movement before Opening Day, but for now I'd like to see:

LF: Santander

CF: Hays

RF: Stewart

Ideally, I'd like to see Davis released and Mancini traded before Opening Day, giving Mountcastle a chance at 1B. I think it's about time for Elias to make a blockbuster trade and bring in some true talent. 

2 hours ago, linedrive said:

I'm sure there will be plenty of movement before Opening Day, but for now I'd like to see:

LF: Santander

CF: Hays

RF: Stewart

Ideally, I'd like to see Davis released and Mancini traded before Opening Day, giving Mountcastle a chance at 1B. I think it's about time for Elias to make a blockbuster trade and bring in some true talent. 

I hate the idea of trading our best player and I'm not a fan of Stewart. I'd much rather see Mountcastle in left and Mancini at first and let Stewart fight for the DH job.

Continuing with the objective of the team to get the 1-1 overall pick in 2021,  the following are prime candidates for the 2020 O’s outfield. Remember, no one allowed with a +WAR for more than 1 season. They may have to keep a couple of guys with options to prove that they are not +WAR players in the big leagues.

RF\LF      DJ Smith, A. Santander

CF\LF\RF    Mason Williams\Stevie Wilkerson

5th Outfielder        C. Mullins\Keon Broxton\ JT Stewart (May the least ML challenged win the honor.)

Hays to the minors to prove that he can stay healthy for an entire season. No sense having him on the IL and drawing a ML salary. Mountcastle to remain in the IL to find a defensive position and prove that player of the year was not a fluke. Don’t want to waste service time on the O’s in 2020.  Mancini traded for building blocks for the 22\23 contender.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I hate the idea of trading our best player and I'm not a fan of Stewart. I'd much rather see Mountcastle in left and Mancini at first and let Stewart fight for the DH job.

Depends on the return. I would be all over trading Mancini if he gets us a legitimate SS or CF prospects. Don't repeat the mistake with Manny of holding on to our "best player" past the point of their max value. Stewart, Mountcastle, and Nunez are more than enough DH/1B types.

• Upvote 2

I think it depends if Davis makes the roster or not. I do think it's possible he is released in Spring Training if he continues to look completely lost. If he is released, I think you see something like this to open the year in the OF:

RF- Anthony Santander

CF- Austin Hays

LF- D.J. Stewart

with Dwight Smith Jr. and Mason Williams on the bench

If Davis makes the team, I think you see Mancini slide into the OF more to start the year and perhaps Smith off the team.

By August, I think/hope we see something like this:

LF- Anthony Santander

CF- Austin Hays

RF- Yasniel Diaz

with Stewart and Mullins on the roster in a reserve role and Mountcastle at 1B/DH alongside Mancini or Nunez (trading Mancini if he gets a good return and Nunez for whatever you can if Mancini doesn't yield a good return).

23 hours ago, OldNewGuy said:

Continuing with the objective of the team to get the 1-1 overall pick in 2021,  the following are prime candidates for the 2020 O’s outfield. Remember, no one allowed with a +WAR for more than 1 season. They may have to keep a couple of guys with options to prove that they are not +WAR players in the big leagues.

RF\LF      DJ Smith, A. Santander

CF\LF\RF    Mason Williams\Stevie Wilkerson

5th Outfielder        C. Mullins\Keon Broxton\ JT Stewart (May the least ML challenged win the honor.)

Hays to the minors to prove that he can stay healthy for an entire season. No sense having him on the IL and drawing a ML salary. Mountcastle to remain in the IL to find a defensive position and prove that player of the year was not a fluke. Don’t want to waste service time on the O’s in 2020.  Mancini traded for building blocks for the 22\23 contender.

I cant tell if this is a parody post or not. Only thing I can say is- I hope it is.

Hays is 24 Years old, will be turning 25 next year, and has EARNED a major league salary. Mountcastle should probably start the year in AAA for service time, but no reason why he shouldnt be up as soon as that date passes, and I am cool with him on the OD roster as well if he crushes spring training as well. 

I see absolutely zero benefit in the outfield rotation you are talking about.

Edited by terpoh

On 10/11/2019 at 12:27 PM, Aristotelian said:

Depends on the return. I would be all over trading Mancini if he gets us a legitimate SS or CF prospects. Don't repeat the mistake with Manny of holding on to our "best player" past the point of their max value. Stewart, Mountcastle, and Nunez are more than enough DH/1B types.

Then extend him when it's time. I don't think he will cost as much as Manny.

I'd like to see Mountcastle in left, Mancini at first and Nunez at DH with Stewart in Norfolk or somewhere else.

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

Then extend him when it's time. I don't think he will cost as much as Manny.

I'd like to see Mountcastle in left, Mancini at first and Nunez at DH with Stewart in Norfolk or somewhere else.

I'd like to see Mountcastle play OF first before considering that The Plan. I do not want to end up with another Trumbo type guy in the OF again. Ideally I would like three OF's who can catch the ball.