Outfield 2020... Who ya got?

Greg Pappas

On 10/16/2019 at 6:05 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Just because Mancini made himself playable in the OF doesn’t mean Mountcastle can. Just because Schoop was a big 2B doesn’t mean Mountcastle can. Especially at 2B. There’s no point in not trying Mountcastle in LF in 2020, but that’s going to be the excuse to keep him down in 2020. To work on his defense. 

I think Mountcastle is in AAA to work on his LF defense for the full service clock game, so June 1st.  That allows us to sort through Smith, Stewart, and Davis DFA. 

If the threshold is playing the outfield as well as Mancini I think just about anyone can play the outfield.

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think its more complicated then that.   Mountcastle is probably the left fielder after April 10th.   

I don't expect a resurgence by Davis but he will be on the roster and push Mancini to the outfield when he plays. 

Wilkerson will fight with Smith for the OD left field job and Wilkerson will probably be the defensive backup in left once Mountcastle  is promoted.  Smith has an option left and he could end up as AAA depth and compete with Stewart for a backup spot on the 25  roster.

I agree that I don't see enough space for the 40 man roster for Williams but I do see the O's inviting him to ST and they offer him a AAA job.  It will be up to him if he stays if the O's organization. 

Smith spot is vulnerable and he could be traded or sold for cash to make room for pitching on the 40 man roster. That could happen this off season or next spring.  JMO

I hear ya. I think Smith is pretty much entrenched in LF to start out given all the current factors we know. Stewart’s year was a mess at the MLB level. Between multiple injuries, playing CF at one point, and just flat out struggling. 

Wilkerson definitely has a spot somewhere on the roster because of his versatility and the 26 man roster. 

I think overall we shouldn’t keep Mason Williams on the 40 man but I could see reasons if we do. Hays is basically all we have for CF. One injury and we’re back to Wilkerson. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I hear ya. I think Smith is pretty much entrenched in LF to start out given all the current factors we know. Stewart’s year was a mess at the MLB level. Between multiple injuries, playing CF at one point, and just flat out struggling. 

Wilkerson definitely has a spot somewhere on the roster because of his versatility and the 26 man roster. 

I think overall we shouldn’t keep Mason Williams on the 40 man but I could see reasons if we do. Hays is basically all we have for CF. One injury and we’re back to Wilkerson. 

That is why they try to sign Williams to a AAA contract and invite him in ST.

I rate Wilkerson ahead of Smith as an outfielder and a hitter.  He has better speed and hits righties at a 783 OPS

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think it is just as likely that Elias trades Smith in for another lottery ticket.  He has no plus tools, not one.  He's the epitome of a roster filler.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is just as likely that Elias trades Smith in for another lottery ticket.  He has no plus tools, not one.  He's the epitome of a roster filler.

I dont think anybody is "entrenched" in their location, hoping to see more bodies come through in ST and maybe have some real competition.