Jealous

Frobby

7 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

They did it the cheap, everyone deserves a trophy way by winning the stupid wild card game to even get into the playoffs.

At least the Orioles were in first place in large divisions winning their titles.

The wild card sucks but that stupid game needs to be trashed ASAP

What they need to do is go back to the first place team goes straight to the Series.  With that first place team being the Yanks 75% of the time.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been fortunate to see the Orioles win three World Series, and even though it’s been 36 years, I still take great pride and solace in those wins.    

But one thing the O’s haven’t ever done is win a World Series or a playoff series that came down to a rubber game.   They lost two WS Game 7’s to the Pirates,  and Game 5 of two five-game playoff series to the A’s and the Yankees.     All the postseason series they ever won never got down to a nailbiter situation.    Not that I didn’t enjoy those wins, but there’s just something about winning with everything on the line in one game that is sort of the ultimate satisfaction.   

I’m pretty jealous of the Nats fans tonight.    I’ve never felt quite what they’re feeling as an Orioles fan.   

Yeah there is something special about winning the deciding game, the last game of the series, and unfortunately the Orioles have lost every deciding post season game.They also lost to the Brewers in 1982 in a deciding game to decide who would go to the playoffs that year.  So really they are 0-5 in these types of games. The worst  was 1979, that was such a special Orioles magic year except for the way it ended.

5 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Yeah there is something special about winning the deciding game, the last game of the series, and unfortunately the Orioles have lost every deciding post season game.They also lost to the Brewers in 1982 in a deciding game to decide who would go to the playoffs that year.  So really they are 0-5 in these types of games.

They did win the 2012 Wild Card game.    Maybe my happiest day as a fan since 1983.    But that wasn’t a “series,” which is why I didn’t mention it in the OP.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been fortunate to see the Orioles win three World Series, and even though it’s been 36 years, I still take great pride and solace in those wins.    

But one thing the O’s haven’t ever done is win a World Series or a playoff series that came down to a rubber game.   They lost two WS Game 7’s to the Pirates,  and Game 5 of two five-game playoff series to the A’s and the Yankees.     All the postseason series they ever won never got down to a nailbiter situation.    Not that I didn’t enjoy those wins, but there’s just something about winning with everything on the line in one game that is sort of the ultimate satisfaction.   

I’m pretty jealous of the Nats fans tonight.    I’ve never felt quite what they’re feeling as an Orioles fan.   

I think if we had a crystal ball, and knew 1983 was going to be the last WS for a few decades, we would have enjoyed it more and savored the moment more.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not jealous at all.  The Nats are some other team that isn't the Orioles.  That team wins the World Series pretty much every year.

I'm sure I'll be slightly annoyed now that there are 75,000 times as many Nats "fans" as there were two weeks ago.  But that will pass.

I have lived in between the two cites for 60 years of my life.

I have seen fandom for playoff games on both sides. I stood in line for 5 hours for playoff tickets in 96.

I dont think I ever saw the town of Baltimore stirred up for the WS, like DC was.

Even the nightly news at 11, was all about the Nats and all these side stories.

I dont recall a baltimore station ever doing that.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think if we had a crystal ball, and knew 1983 was going to be the last WS for a few decades, we would have enjoyed it more and savored the moment more.

You older fans had 3 WS wins and 5 pennants in 17 years at that point. You just don't know when the good times will end and the bad times will begin. I think that's why 2012 was so special for me. I was 10 in 1997. 15 years of not only missing the playoffs but sub 500 baseball sucked but I still made it out to OPACY every year for the most part and followed the team. I mean I know that a bunch of O's fans will come out of the woodworks if we start competing and make the WS again but it is a little peeving for me to see people who never cared much for baseball suddenly talking about how much they love the Nats.  I admit though I'm a little bitter since I've taken grief for still being an O's fan in Nats territory.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Well, first of all, I enjoyed and savored it quite a bit.   After losing game 7 in 1979, missing the playoffs while winning 100 games in 1980, and losing to Brewers on the final day of the 1982 regular season, it was extremely sweet to bring home the trophy in 1983.   I certainly wasn’t thinking “that was great, but I would rather have won it in 7!”    I was beside myself with joy and that glow lasted a good long time.

But second, you’re right that we surely had no idea of what was to follow.    At that point, it felt like a birthright that the O’s would be in contention every year, after 16 straight winning seasons and 8 playoff appearances in 18 years.   With a 22 year old Ripken and a 27 year old Murray.     It’s amazing how far we’ve fallen.   

Just now, Ripken said:

I hope when we finally return to the series we get to play against a manager as freaking stupid as AJ Hinch.  What a gross failure last night.

I called it when they bunted in the 2nd. I thought that was an awful move. Playing small ball in the 2nd inning? And he was way too quick to lift Greinke for a guy who had been pitching a lot. 

7 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

You older fans had 3 WS wins and 5 pennants in 17 years at that point. You just don't know when the good times will end and the bad times will begin. I think that's why 2012 was so special for me. I was 10 in 1997. 15 years of not only missing the playoffs but sub 500 baseball sucked but I still made it out to OPACY every year for the most part and followed the team. I mean I know that a bunch of O's fans will come out of the woodworks if we start competing and make the WS again but it is a little peeving for me to see people who never cared much for baseball suddenly talking about how much they love the Nats.  I admit though I'm a little bitter since I've taken grief for still being an O's fan in Nats territory.

I didnt.

1983 was my very first WS.

I was an old Senators fan that left baseball totally, until Cal was drafted and promoted up to the bigs.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, first of all, I enjoyed and savored it quite a bit.   After losing game 7 in 1979, missing the playoffs while winning 100 games in 1980, and losing to Brewers on the final day of the 1982 regular season, it was extremely sweet to bring home the trophy in 1983.   I certainly wasn’t thinking “that was great, but I would rather have won it in 7!”    I was beside myself with joy and that glow lasted a good long time.

But second, you’re right that we surely had no idea of what was to follow.    At that point, it felt like a birthright that the O’s would be in contention every year, after 16 straight winning seasons and 8 playoff appearances in 18 years.   With a 22 year old Ripken and a 27 year old Murray.     It’s amazing how far we’ve fallen.   

96-97 was a decent run, and better to be a few games away from the WS, then to be watching others play in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Nats don’t draft Strasburg and Rendon if they win 82 games those years. That stretch of Nats baseball seems to be conveniently forgotten by some.  

Strasburg was able to  be a free agent long ago. He is making $38 million this season. Scherzer is making $42 million.  The Nationals were built through free agency.  Rendon was drafted 6th.  We will have a guy picked #1 overall and a guy picked #2 overall. Time to start improving the team or get a new owner/gm combo.

The Astro's pitchers were likewise acquired through trades or free agency.  

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I didnt.

1983 was my very first WS.

I was an old Senators fan that left baseball totally, until Cal was drafted and promoted up to the bigs.

Oh sorry about that assumption. My bad. Anyhow. It just gets to what I'm thinking about you never know how long those moments will last in sports. Even the Yankees had a brief spell when they were absolutely awful. Right now they're having their biggest WS appearance drought since before they had Ruth. Not that I feel bad for them or their fans since they haven't had a losing season since 1992.

7 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I called it when they bunted in the 2nd. I thought that was an awful move. Playing small ball in the 2nd inning? And he was way too quick to lift Greinke for a guy who had been pitching a lot. 

He did win the WS before, so while we can fault some of his moves, he did win the WS before, and he did get his team all the way to the WS again.

• Upvote 1