Would this team get you excited heading into 2009?

Sports Guy

The key to everything is Tex...You sign him and you are more willing to do some other things.

If you miss out on him and Dunn isn't in your plans, then you probabyl look to trade a bunch of guys, spearheaded by BRob.

Yeah, I agree that Tex is the lynchpin that will swing the needle towards either "sign/trade for a couple reasonably priced veterans and hope the young guys are ready this year but definitely in 2010" or "continue trading away veterans and really only look towards 2010-11".

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That seems a little high for Greene, but maybe that's just me.

Tons of free agent SS's available this off season.

Not really. Ocab is the best one, and Furcal is likely to resign with LAD.

Reimold for Greene sounds about right, I would add Cherry too.

What I'm saying is that team is a great first step and would compete for the WC. To compete for the division we have to upgrade at 3B and replace Huff at DH...

Also our pitching will be ready and we'll have Tillman, Matusz and Arrieta ready to go...

Replacing Huff isn't a big deal...if they keep Reimold, he could do it(or Scott).

Its finding the third baseman that's the key..be nice if Rowell took a huge step next year but you can't plan for that right now.

I guess Ryan Adams is a sleeper at third for us.

I agree. I believe he's a FA after next season. That's a lot to give up for one year... I presume we could try to extend him... but that just complicates things more.

It sure is a lot to give up...especially since he's pretty crappy.

I'd be really careful what we pay for Greene. Penn or Reimold or Montanez straight up with only a minor sweetener. Maybe a little more if he indicates he's willing to re-sign at a reasonable price.

Yea, I agree...some of these trades on here for him are way too much IMO.

That being said, if the Orioles targeted Greene and really wanted to get him, i think they would deal Penn and Reimold for him if they had to.

I think that is too much but I think that is a deal the Orioles would ultimately make.

BTW if my scenerio were to be what happened, here is our team for the majority of 2010-2012.

(assume Liz and Reimold for Greene)

C: Wieters

1B: Tex

2B: Roberts

SS: Greene

3B: young 3B optained in trade

RF: Markakis

CF: Jones

LF: Scott

DH:

SP: Guthrie

SP: Burnett

SP: Arrietta

SP: Tillman

SP: Matusz

RP: Ray

RP: JJ

RP: Sherrill

RP: Hernandez

RP: Olson

RP: Cabrera

RP: Penn

We'd have picks from Huff leaving. Salary of Mora, Huff, Baez, Ramon, and Gibbons comes off the books...Things would be looking good by then.

Now we can accomplish this without trading guys like BROB, Huff, and Sherill, as well as giving us a chance to win with BROB which would be great. We would be a very young team as well so we could take our time and develop depth so when the next wave comes in in 3-5 years we have guys coming off that we got through the draft and we will have trade depth as well.

Having this team with only trading Tejada and Bedard as major league players would be something..

If Rowell or Snyder can step up and play third, we wouldn't need one in a trade. By 2010-2011 we will know if they are ready to play in the bigs.

Guthrie

AJ

Tillman

Matusz

Arrieta

That is sick right there

I'd be really careful what we pay for Greene. Penn or Reimold or Montanez straight up with only a minor sweetener. Maybe a little more if he indicates he's willing to re-sign at a reasonable price.
Montanez doesn't belong in that group with Penn and Reimold. And if Penn keeps up what he's been doing he won't be in there either, but it won't be becasue of lack of talent but lack of health.

Montanez has no trade value right now other than a 4th or 5th guy going in a huge trade which I don't see us trading 4-5 guys for a guy like Harden anytime soon.

I kind of agree that it might not even take someone as good as Reimold to get Greene.

Think about what was offered for Roberts in the offseason. One guy of similar value to Reimold (Gallagher) and two-three guys who were about organizational top 12-15 guys (Patterson, Cedeno, Veal). Roberts had two years remaining and was coming off of a very good season.

Greene has one year left at $6.5M and currently has a sub-.600 OPS. I'm strongly beginning to rethink his trade value, and I'd be fairly shocked if it takes someone as good as Reimold to get him.

AJ is older and much larger risk than Garland is and the money is likely to be the same...I have little doubt AM would prefer Garland to Burnett.

Burnett has the bigger upside but I think AM would want to "sure thing" if he is going to spend similar money on these guys.

Garland has a BAA of around .300

that's not good

But he also rarely walks people.

He's not a star, he'll pitch to about a 4.50 ERA, but you know what you'll get from him and he'll eat a lot of innings.

He's a very safe guy to go after. Not a ton of front of the rotation "upside" but also very low chance that he's a complete bust.

I kind of agree that it might not even take someone as good as Reimold to get Greene.

Think about what was offered for Roberts in the offseason. One guy of similar value to Reimold (Gallagher) and two-three guys who were about organizational top 12-15 guys (Patterson, Cedeno, Veal). Roberts had two years remaining and was coming off of a very good season.

Greene has one year left at $6.5M and currently has a sub-.600 OPS. I'm strongly beginning to rethink his trade value, and I'd be fairly shocked if it takes someone as good as Reimold to get him.

Yea, he has a big price tag and has had a terrible year and let's face it, he hasn't really been lighting up the stat sheet in other years either.

Archived