Trade Bait 2020

ScGO's

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Since the rebuild began, I have been all about trades and adding young talent.  Since the offseason, Elias has traded Villar, Bundy, and now Bleier off of this original list, which I am thrilled by as I see it as progress.

The question now is, do we make any more trades if we are technically in the playoff race?  Personally, I say we go for it in this strange 2020 scenario, as I believe it won't hurt the rebuild and could actually improve a few players trade stock for the 2020/2021 offseason. 

What say you?  Based on service time and value, the following may have value in a trade now, but do we do it if we are in contention?

1) Alex Cobb - Looking really strong as of now.  Has one year left on contract.  If he can keep up his current numbers, we may receive an offer that his hard to refuse.

2) Hanser Alberto - Is he becoming a perennial .300 hitter?  Has two years of control left after this season. 

3) Jose Iglesias - I like the club option for next season, but the way he is playing right now might draw him some interest from a playoff team that needs a SS

4) Pedro Severino - Hitting well with pop; is that enough to hide his terrible D in a trade?  Getting crowded at catcher with Sisco performing, two better D options in Wynns and Holladay, and AR creeping

5) Wade Leblanc / Tommy Millone - Performing fairly well for journeymen. Might draw interest as spot starters or long relief options.

6) Pat Valaika - Pop and some versatility.  Has three years of control left after this season.  Will be 28 in Sept.  Someone might jump on him he continues to hit and they need any extra INF

7) Mychal Givens - Killing it so far, but hasn't had a ton of innings either.  Just turned 30.  Only one more year of control. Could get expensive in arbitration this offseason.

? Miguel Castro - Only two more years of control. I would lock him up now as he is still young and showing great stuff.  If they do trade, better get a haul.

9) Shawn Armstrong - Still 3 years of control after this season, but is 30 years old.  Looking stronger this season.  If he keeps it up, I think someone could bite.

10) Trey Mancini - Obviously not in a position to be traded right now.  However, if he fully recovers, the idea has to be discussed again as only has 2 years of service left after this season.  

By the time of the deadline, we will have played 34 games (if there are no more cancelations). I don't know what most will continue being in contention, but let's say they follow this pace out, so they're 17-17. I would say to go for it. How often are we going to have a chance. I would keep our contributors, unless it's a REALLY tempting trade. We could always trade in the off-season. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Since the rebuild began, I have been all about trades and adding young talent.  Since the offseason, Elias has traded Villar, Bundy, and now Bleier off of this original list, which I am thrilled by as I see it as progress.

The question now is, do we make any more trades if we are technically in the playoff race?  Personally, I say we go for it in this strange 2020 scenario, as I believe it won't hurt the rebuild and could actually improve a few players trade stock for the 2020/2021 offseason. 

What say you?  Based on service time and value, the following may have value in a trade now, but do we do it if we are in contention?

1) Alex Cobb - Looking really strong as of now.  Has one year left on contract.  If he can keep up his current numbers, we may receive an offer that his hard to refuse.

2) Hanser Alberto - Is he becoming a perennial .300 hitter?  Has two years of control left after this season. 

3) Jose Iglesias - I like the club option for next season, but the way he is playing right now might draw him some interest from a playoff team that needs a SS

4) Pedro Severino - Hitting well with pop; is that enough to hide his terrible D in a trade?  Getting crowded at catcher with Sisco performing, two better D options in Wynns and Holladay, and AR creeping

5) Wade Leblanc / Tommy Millone - Performing fairly well for journeymen. Might draw interest as spot starters or long relief options.

6) Pat Valaika - Pop and some versatility.  Has three years of control left after this season.  Will be 28 in Sept.  Someone might jump on him he continues to hit and they need any extra INF

7) Mychal Givens - Killing it so far, but hasn't had a ton of innings either.  Just turned 30.  Only one more year of control. Could get expensive in arbitration this offseason.

? Miguel Castro - Only two more years of control. I would lock him up now as he is still young and showing great stuff.  If they do trade, better get a haul.

9) Shawn Armstrong - Still 3 years of control after this season, but is 30 years old.  Looking stronger this season.  If he keeps it up, I think someone could bite.

10) Trey Mancini - Obviously not in a position to be traded right now.  However, if he fully recovers, the idea has to be discussed again as only has 2 years of service left after this season.  

I say absolutely YES we should trade away our most coveted veteran players for young talent, even if we’re in the playoff race. Why? Because it’s a perfect opportunity to fleece other teams desperate to make the playoffs, hoping for an unlikely World Series win. This is a great opportunity for us, and could set us up for a decade of playoff contention, and maybe a WS win or two. That’s more important to me than making the playoffs in a lost season.

Making trades could also open the door for our future stars to get into some games, and that would be fun to watch them play. But I also would very much like another high draft pick, so I'm in favor of good trade opportunities.

24 minutes ago, linedrive said:

I say absolutely YES we should trade away our most coveted veteran players for young talent, even if we’re in the playoff race. Why? Because it’s a perfect opportunity to fleece other teams desperate to make the playoffs, hoping for an unlikely World Series win. This is a great opportunity for us, and could set us up for a decade of playoff contention, and maybe a WS win or two. That’s more important to me than making the playoffs in a lost season.

Making trades could also open the door for our future stars to get into some games, and that would be fun to watch them play. But I also would very much like another high draft pick, so I'm in favor of good trade opportunities.

A nice thought but I don’t think anyone is putting too much value on this season so I don’t see someone mortgaging a significant piece of their future (the kind of player who would help set us up for multiple championships) for the chance to steal a trophy with an asterisk. 

But sure if a deal comes that we like, I see absolutely no reason to hold onto any of the guys mentioned in the OP. Even though I do love Alberto. So I agree with you but caution you to temper expectations 

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I love you, Man, but that is some kinda wishful thinkin’.

Givens has exactly four innings so far. Severino is terrible on defense. Sisco may well have passed him by now. Valaika hit 196 last year.

SSS Of Glory doesn’t Negate a career of Meh -40%.

Armstrong, Alberto, Iglesias May have some value.

I think I'd rather wait until the off season.  Payrolls are going to be slashed and teams are going to be looking for cheap players.  With astute trades of Alberto, Iglesias, Severino, Givens, maybe even Cobb as he's not owed terribly much... the Orioles should get into the top five in farm systems.

The Orioles can afford to eat partial salary or take on salary in return, which will only help with prospect returns.

14 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I think I'd rather wait until the off season.  Payrolls are going to be slashed and teams are going to be looking for cheap players.  With astute trades of Alberto, Iglesias, Severino, Givens, maybe even Cobb as he's not owed terribly much... the Orioles should get into the top five in farm systems.

The Orioles can afford to eat partial salary or take on salary in return, which will only help with prospect returns.

Except they aren’t doing that and ownership has shown no signs that they will allow it.  

They absolutely can, as you point out but I doubt it happens.

1) Alex Cobb - If Cobb pitches well this season he will not be an Orioles next season.  Whether he is traded in late August or  over the winter Elias is not going to carry his salary at his age on a rebuilding team.   

2) Hanser Alberto - Is a leader of the rebuild.   He will not be traded this year.  

3) Jose Iglesias -  Was brought in to stabilize the infield.  He is doing that.  There is no one pushing for the SS job.  He will stay. Also a leader.

4) Pedro Severino -  Is safe until Rutschman is ready.  Then there will be a choice between him and Sisco.

5) Wade Leblanc / Tommy Millone -  FAs at the end of the season.  They are available for trade if anyone wants to give something of value for them.

6) Pat Valaika -  No one will offer anything of value for him.

7) Mychal Givens -  Drop in velo in concerning.   Probably cause other teams to shy away from him.

8  Miguel Castro - He is young and part of the rebuild.  He will not be traded unless someone offers a ton.

9) Shawn Armstrong -  I doubt he has much trade value.  Terrible ERA last season.   Leaves too many pitches in the middle of the plate.   .

10) Trey Mancini -   O's first baseman next season.   His trade value will be down until he prove he is healthy and has not lost anything.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

1) Alex Cobb - If Cobb pitches well this season he will not be an Orioles next season.  Whether he is traded in late August or  over the winter Elias is not going to carry his salary at his age on a rebuilding team.   

2) Hanser Alberto - Is a leader of the rebuild.   He will not be traded this year.  

3) Jose Iglesias -  Was brought in to stabilize the infield.  He is doing that.  There is no one pushing for the SS job.  He will stay. Also a leader.

4) Pedro Severino -  Is safe until Rutschman is ready.  Then there will be a choice between him and Sisco.

5) Wade Leblanc / Tommy Millone -  FAs at the end of the season.  They are available for trade if anyone wants to give something of value for them.

6) Pat Valaika -  No one will offer anything of value for him.

7) Mychal Givens -  Drop in velo in concerning.   Probably cause other teams to shy away from him.

8  Miguel Castro - He is young and part of the rebuild.  He will not be traded unless someone offers a ton.

9) Shawn Armstrong -  I doubt he has much trade value.  Terrible ERA last season.   Leaves too many pitches in the middle of the plate.   .

10) Trey Mancini -   O's first baseman next season.   His trade value will be down until he prove he is healthy and has not lost anything.

Chris Davis says hi.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Of the players listed, the only ones I could foresee having even marginal value are Cobb and Iglesias.  With Cobb's salary he won't bring back much but if he shows he is healthy maybe a team desperate for pitching will dangle a decent prospect.  

You don’t think Castro would have any value?

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I could see Davis pushed to being full time DH.  

I can’t.  Who knows what the Os will do but Davis no longer has a place with the organization.  Up until this year, he wasn’t really blocking anyone, so continuing to give him a chance wasn’t hurting you.

Now he is.  Mountcastle is ready and with the plethora of DH/1st type guys we have now, all of which either have more upside and/or are producing way better than him, it’s time to cut bait.

The money is spent and no one is trading for him.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I can’t.  Who knows what the Os will do but Davis no longer has a place with the organization.  Up until this year, he wasn’t really blocking anyone, so continuing to give him a chance wasn’t hurting you.

Now he is.  Mountcastle is ready and with the plethora of DH/1st type guys we have now, all of which either have more upside and/or are producing way better than him, it’s time to cut bait.

The money is spent and no one is trading for him.  

Well in theory, I agree.  Yeah, he should be cut after this year barring a miraculous turnaround.  I wanted Davis cut heading into last year and that hasn't wavered.

The longer this goes, the more I get a sinking feeling that he's here for the rest of the contract.  I hope that doesn't happen but I fear that it will.