Fangraphs Top 100

VaBird1

31 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

You look to be correct with the 1-2 per week schedule. They posted their 3rd team on Monday and have now posted on 11/19, 11/26 and 12/2.

They got to us at the end of January last year, but some teams weren’t evaluated until well into the season.   They generally do these by division so who knows where the AL East will fall in their pecking order.    

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2019 at 11:16 AM, Luke-OH said:

McKenna is a guy with everyday tools who is under-performing them, but he's 22 and that could change. 

That said, only Baseball Prospectus has an offseason prospect rankings with McKenna ahead of Baumann. Fangraphs will likely have Baumann ahead of McKenna when they do their offseason updates, and BA + MLBPipeline already have Baumann ahead. 

There is some skepticism about Baumann being a starter in the majors. The arm action isn't ideal for command and his curveball + changeup are his two weaker pitches, so there are questions about ability to get lefties out. The results haven't bore that out, his fastball has been good enough to stymie lefties along with the inconsistent curve and change. 

BA seems to think Baumann will stick in the rotation.

And if you follow the link, they have Mullins as the 2023 left-fielder, with McKenna nowhere to be seen (Hays in CF, Diaz in Right, Mountastle at first, Mancini in DH).

I understand the limitations of this exercise, but slotting in Mullins over McKenna seems silly and as an aside, obviously the much greater odds are that neither will be a starting outfielder for the 2023 Orioles, but I would expect either to be in CF over Hays if on the team.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:24 AM, Frobby said:

They generally do these by division so who knows where the AL East will fall in their pecking order.    

So much for that. They posted the Red Sox today as their 4th list and have still not completed the NL West with the Dodgers and Padres remaining. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

So much for that. They posted the Red Sox today as their 4th list and have still not completed the NL West with the Dodgers and Padres remaining. 

Yes, saw that and was going to post but saw you’d done it already.   

The format of these rankings is they include anyone with an FV of 35+ or higher.    Boston has 33 of them, whereas Arizona has 47.   I’d like to think that all 5 players we just acquired would make their list, but we’ll see.    Last year they left Alex Wells off their list entirely, which I thought was just ridiculous.    

By the way, you can always find Fangrsphs’ latest iteration of the Orioles’ list here, with FV ratings but without comments:   https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2019-in-season-prospect-list/summary?sort=-1,1&type=0&team=bal

Right now they have 34 on the O’s list.   Frankly, I think their current list sucks.    Hopefully they’ll do a lot more work before they publish their piece on the O’s.    

5 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

There are comments/reports on the FanGraphs prospects list, you just have to click the little black box on the far right under "report". There is video as well right beside that column.

Also, they did write a short piece on the Bundy trade: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/baltimore-gets-quantity-for-bundy/.

Thanks!   You should post the Bundy link in the Bundy trade thread, too!

44 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

There are comments/reports on the FanGraphs prospects list, you just have to click the little black box on the far right under "report". There is video as well right beside that column.

Also, they did write a short piece on the Bundy trade: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/baltimore-gets-quantity-for-bundy/.

Some of those reports are about a year old, so until the offseason update, just be aware of that.

On 12/5/2019 at 3:10 PM, MurphDogg said:

BA seems to think Baumann will stick in the rotation.

And if you follow the link, they have Mullins as the 2023 left-fielder, with McKenna nowhere to be seen (Hays in CF, Diaz in Right, Mountastle at first, Mancini in DH).

I understand the limitations of this exercise, but slotting in Mullins over McKenna seems silly and as an aside, obviously the much greater odds are that neither will be a starting outfielder for the 2023 Orioles, but I would expect either to be in CF over Hays if on the team.

Akin over Kremer?  Cmon now, Baseball America.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like their Orioles list should be coming reasonably soon.

12:49

SCROTE: When can we expect to see the Orioles prospect list

12:50

Avatar Kiley McDaniel: That’s one of the ones we’ve done some work on. The TB-area spring training pod of PHI/NYY/TOR and that just south of them PIT/BAL/TBR seems like they’ll go next? And the NW AZ part of SEA/SDP are also in the mix.

10 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Sounds like their Orioles list should be coming reasonably soon.

1:03
Kurupt FM: Not sure how far along you guys are in the Tampa area teams but have you noticed any Blue Jays prospects that have caught your eye or you think may be underrated.

1:04
Eric A Longenhagen: The Tampa cluster is next. Baltimore will be done first, Toronto is toward the back of the cluster. I think Thomas Hatch made changes either right before or right after Toronto acquired him that I may have underrated.

Eric Loganhagen's chat of about an hour ago noted that Baltimore was next.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...