Waiving/non-tendering Villar: pro or con?

Frobby

Do you approve Elias’ move of waiving Villar?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with putting Villar on waivers?

• I’m in favor
    • I’m against
    • Don’t know, but I’ll defer to Elias’ judgment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/19 at 04:40

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure that true yet. I just have a hard time believing a 28-year old 2B who can fill in at SS, coming off a 4-win season,  has no value. I think teams were waiting around to see if the team would just non tender him.  

All the press seem to think there have no offers for him. Surprising after his resurgence. I guess baseball is just getting cheaper on those kinds of guys. You were right about Zach Davies. You are often right. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't find it so, it fits what we have seen before.

Even before he was figured at 10.5 There never seems to have been a time that there was any return of any consequence. According to all reports. ANd he has also been rumour to have been available the entire time. It will be interesting to see if he is claimed. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Even before he was figured at 10.5 There never seems to have been a time that there was any return of any consequence. According to all reports. ANd he has also been rumour to have been available the entire time. It will be interesting to see if he is claimed. 

I'm actually more interested in what he gets as a free agent.

4 minutes ago, weams said:

We got a little hosed by there not being an August 31 waiver deadline last year. Villar would’ve cleared waivers on August 1 and someone would’ve picked him up after he put up a 1.050 OPS in August. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really understand your point.   

Currently, the O’s and Nats are paid about $40 mm/yr each for their broadcast rights.    Those payments are part of the $251 mm in revenue that Forbes reports.   If the RSDC decision holds, those payments will increase by about $20 mm/yr, retroactive to 2012 and presumably into the future.    But MASN will be less profitable by  twice that amount (O’s fees + Nats fees), and since the O’s own more than half of MASN, it’s a net loss for the O’s side.    That’s why MASN and the O’s keep appealing the rulings.   

Unless as many have speculated that MASN is ran by a separate entity and it’s profits are not funneled to the Orioles

I don’t know about you but I don’t believe that is the case.

1 minute ago, weams said:

I think he would have readed him last offseason if he could have. 

He got hired so late. There was no Sig to help out. He had to beg a manager to take the mlb job. Players were already tendered contracts.

Now he’s got his people in place and Elias is acting fast. He’s not being passive. I thought this was what everyone wanted?  A long term rebuild and not just a patch work job. 

Trust the process. We’re stealing that from the 76’ers. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think this is just Elias finishing cleaning house since he wasn’t on the job last year until so late. 

If Cleaning house is getting rid a their best player in his prime for no return. If that’s who Mike Elias is he’s, a bigger idiot than I thought 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

He got hired so late. There was no Sig to help out. He had to beg a manager to take the mlb job. Players were already tendered contracts.

Now he’s got his people in place and Elias is acting fast. He’s not being passive. I thought this was what everyone wanted?  A long term rebuild and not just a patch work job. 

Trust the process. We’re stealing that from the 76’ers. 

What positive personnel move has he made since he’s been here? Nada , Zippo, Zilch! And don’t say Adley R.