If you are going to move Villar to save money you might as well release Davis

atomic

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Why would anybody see a common thread between Davis and Villar?

Villar is a productive player moved because he was owed a new contract and he was making the rest of the team look bad

Davis fits the current model. He stinks and helps you lose. Plus his salary is already owed. Getting him off the roster would cost the team a minimum salary and almost certainly improved performance.

I've never rooted for a player to flop more than Jonathan Villar in 2020, just so I can go back quote tweet all of your angry, sarcastic rants about the team not signing Villar at the end of the year. I didn't have a dog in this fight before, but you've literally made me want to root against him. 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I've never rooted for a player to flop more than Jonathan Villar in 2020, just so I can go back quote tweet all of your angry, sarcastic rants about the team not signing Villar at the end of the year. I didn't have a dog in this fight before, but you've literally made me want to root against him. 

Its been a tough off-season, here in OH, and typically of how social media is turning into one big cesspool of anger and hate.

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its been a tough off-season, here in OH, and typically of how social media is turning into one big cesspool of anger and hate.

I get the frustration, but it's been a solid week of sarcastic anger and blind rage. And pure speculation on top of pure speculation.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Ha!    I’d never root against him, but I’d prefer that he not have as good a year in 2020 as he had last year, just so I’ll feel a little better about letting him go.    And I hope we find a way of getting some cheap production out of 2B/SS.

32 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Roll Tide gets attached to the players.  I know some people just root for the laundry.  Some of us get emotional about players.  I certainly felt that way about Adam Jones when he left.  He was my favorite player and I did not think about it rationally.   I am not sure why you would root for Villar to do poorly.   How does that help you?  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ha!    I’d never root against him, but I’d prefer that he not have as good a year in 2020 as he had last year, just so I’ll feel a little better about letting him go.    And I hope we find a way of getting some cheap production out of 2B/SS.

I don't understand that logic.  I hope Villar has a great season.   Just like I hoped Gausman, Britton, O'Day, Jones and Brach had good seasons last year.  If I liked a player when he was on the team I am going to root for him when he is gone.  

And I have no issues with Arrieta becoming a Cy Young award winner when he left.  I was sick of him blowing games. If he figured it out somewhere else more power to him. It doesn't affect me at that point.  I didn't root for him and I didn't root against him.  I figure if he stayed with the Orioles he would just have continue to blow games.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I don't understand that logic.  I hope Villar has a great season.   Just like I hoped Gausman, Britton, O'Day, Jones and Brach had good seasons last year.  If I liked a player when he was on the team I am going to root for him when he is gone.  

And I have no issues with Arrieta becoming a Cy Young award winner when he left.  I was sick of him blowing games. If he figured it out somewhere else more power to him. It doesn't affect me at that point.  I didn't root for him and I didn't root against him.  I figure if he stayed with the Orioles he would just have continue to blow games.  

Like I said, I wouldn’t exactly root against Villar.    But the better he does, the worse our decision looks, and I’d rather minimize my regrets over that decision, at least to a point.   

Arrieta is a different can of worms.   I didn’t begrudge his success, but it annoyed me greatly that we’d botched his development so badly.    

Britton is a Yankee; I’m fine with him having success so long as his team fails.   

As to the others, I wish them well.    There was a part of me, though, that’s glad Gausman hasn’t become Arrieta 2.0.    There were a few posters here who were leaping to that conclusion when he had a strong finish to the 2018 season, and citing it as another indictment of our poor pitching development.    You don’t hear that much any more.   Not that it really matters, since the O’s have completely overhauled their pitching development and coaching staffs, so Gausman’s development doesn’t have anything to do with how our pitchers are being developed now.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Arrieta is a different can of worms.   I didn’t begrudge his success, but it annoyed me greatly that we’d botched his development so badly.    

I always thought it was Arrieta's personality and lack of focus rather than the Orioles development that led to him squandering his talent with the Orioles and shining so brightly with the Cubs. Whether that is true, it kept his success from stinging so much, and his Philadelphia tenure thus far suggests that it may have been true.

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I always thought it was Arrieta's personality and lack of focus rather than the Orioles development that led to him squandering his talent with the Orioles and shining so brightly with the Cubs. Whether that is true, it kept his success from stinging so much, and his Philadelphia tenure thus far suggests that it may have been true.

I thought it was nerves.  He always had great stuff. It seemed he would be doing great the first 3 to 4 innings and then a batter would get on base and he would start falling apart.  He looked nervous to me. 

18 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

How many times did Curt Schilling get traded before his talent came out.  I think it was in Arizona when Randy Johnson called him out for wasting his talent.

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

How many times did Curt Schilling get traded before his talent came out.  I think it was in Arizona when Randy Johnson called him out for wasting his talent.

Yep, some guys are just late bloomers and/or bridge burners and there is nothing you can do about it. Schilling had one good season before he turned 29 and would be a Hall of Famer if Twitter hadn't been invented. Arrieta didn't even have a 1 rWAR season until he was 28. Just one of those things.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Word!

Problem is, you used facts to support your argument.

The negative ninnies wont like that. LOL

Look .... My delivery might not always be the best. I do try to speak in fact based arguments. That would include the recent discussions about Villar and my dissatisfaction over how Elias over the way it was handled. I try not to manipulate the details to support my argument.

I'll be the first to admit that I am wrong at times. I was 100% wrong about my opinion about Lamar Jackson! Through the years I've been wrong about the direction of the Orioles. So I don't claim to be perfect.

I think I have the current direction figured out ?

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Look .... My delivery might not always be the best. I do try to speak in fact based arguments. That would include the recent discussions about Villar and my dissatisfaction over how Elias over the way it was handled. I try not to manipulate the details to support my argument.

I'll be the first to admit that I am wrong at times. I was 100% wrong about my opinion about Lamar Jackson! Through the years I've been wrong about the direction of the Orioles. So I don't claim to be perfect.

I think I have the current direction figured out ?

I was wrong about Jackson too, like i was wrong about RG3.. LOL

Nothing wrong with discussions, and something when somebody put an intelligent thought out there, one can sit back and say, dang, that does make sense.

But, the trolls dont like intelligent conversations, as they just stir the crap and incite the masses. Of which, will get me another red flag flame, but oh well.

At my age, I speak my mind, and I dont care. But, Im also man enough to man up when needed to, others (Not you) cant do that. Its like Fonzi and unable to say the word, wrong. lol

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You would root against Villar due to your dislike of me? Wow....... I am sure I can go back over the last week and point out the times that you were wrong. But is there really any point?