Beyond the Top 30: Other prospects to watch

Luke-OH

Just now, RZNJ said:

Luke, you know I am a fan of your stuff but Cadyn Grenier has "flaws in his bat" is a huge understatement.   Without looking it up, it seems like he struck out close to 40% of the time.  I don't see him reaching AAA.  

A big part of the K rate is that he’s such a late count hitter who also made a swing change. He has room to be more aggressive and reduce that if it continues to climb. 

He’s got a hole he needs to fix, but he can hit spin, he can play middle infield, and run a little bit. It’s not exciting but I his chances just about as much as Mason McCoy.

I think the issue is that he was an overdraft, if he was an 11th rounder we’d be interested in the guy who could play some SS and had a 120 wRC+ between A/A+ in his first full season despite his flaws.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Good call on Placencia. I kept noticing him in the box scores. Really interested to see how he progresses.

That is an unfortunate name.

The cellist for whom Dvorak wrote his cello concerto was named Hanus. That’s a Czech name, but if I’m pronouncing it correctly, that is also a very unfortunate name.

Rheinhold Jockitsch was also saddled with a change-worthy name.

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Luke, you know I am a fan of your stuff but Cadyn Grenier has "flaws in his bat" is a huge understatement.   Without looking it up, it seems like he struck out close to 40% of the time.  I don't see him reaching AAA.  

Another wasted pick. I was initially encouraged that the team drafted a glove guy, but it turns out his glove isn’t good either. Oy!

Great stuff, as always, I’m interested in your thoughts about where the 1st/2nd year follow guys will be placed next year, particularly the ones who played in the DSL last summer.    For example, does young Acevido jump to the GCL, or does he stay in the DSL another summer?    What about the others?

If you look at the GCL team from last summer, there wasn’t a single DSL graduate under the age of 20, except for Ricardo Castro, a 19-year old who got promoted to the GCL very late in the season and played only 5 games there.    I’d venture a guess that just about every other GCL team had several 18-19 year old DSL graduates playing a full season for them.   

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

That is an unfortunate name.

The cellist for whom Dvorak wrote his cello concerto was named Hanus. That’s a Czech name, but if I’m pronouncing it correctly, that is also a very unfortunate name.

Rheinhold Jockitsch was also saddled with a change-worthy name.

My parents went to a wedding where the groom’s last name was Fangboner.

• Haha 2