Rule 5: Michael Rucker - RHP - Cubs

sportsfan8703

9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

By 2021, I feel like one (or two, if we're lucky) of the Akin/Baumann/Kremer batch will join Means (Cobb too I guess) as someone who can usually make it five innings, but next year wow - we may be in position to set records for fewest appearances of at least X number of innings.   That isn't necessarily bad - three and flee might give five and dive a run for its money.  Probably the more madcap the first half of next year's pitching strategy is, the more entertaining that'll be in the last couple months of waiting for a few of the better players.

I think you can count on Akin in '20. Elias has said he'll be given a chance to break camp with the big club. 

Even if that doesn't happen, I think he'll be up early and hopefully stay the rest of the year. 

Kremer probably has a good chance to be up late in '20. 

Fangraphs:

Michael Rucker, RHP (from CHC)
We’ve been on Rucker for a little while because his deceptive delivery (he hides the ball well) helped enable an otherwise fringy fastball to play. Rucker pitched his way into the Double-A rotation in 2018 but was put back in the bullpen last year and his velocity jumped. He’s now 92-95, touching 97, and his curveball and changeup are both average, while the curve flashes above.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-2019-rule-5-draft-scouting-reports/

• Upvote 1

Nice thoughts, Luke. Based on what you wrote, it seems likely that the O's will:

• Focus on spin axis to maximize the fastball. This might be an easy-ish fix that helps his FB play up.
  • Give him a new curve/slider plan that might be as simple as ditching the slider. 

He seems like a guy who has a good arm and may be ripe for the O's pitching approach. Based on your notes, he seems like a very sensible pick from our perspective.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Nice thoughts, Luke. Based on what you wrote, it seems likely that the O's will:

• Focus on spin axis to maximize the fastball. This might be an easy-ish fix that helps his FB play up.
  • Give him a new curve/slider plan that might be as simple as ditching the slider. 

He seems like a guy who has a good arm and may be ripe for the O's pitching approach. Based on your notes, he seems like a very sensible pick from our perspective.

The curve is good, but as a swing and miss pitch vs RHB, a slider with more velocity and horizontal action would be desirable. 

Thanks for the write up Luke!  I admit I was surprised to see you say you think he has a better chance to start than Bailey.

Didn't his velocity increase correspond to a move to the bullpen?   Do you think he could still potentially stick with a reduced velocity?

Just now, Aglets said:

Thanks for the write up Luke!  I admit I was surprised to see you say you think he has a better chance to start than Bailey.

Didn't his velocity increase correspond to a move to the bullpen?   Do you think he could still potentially stick with a reduced velocity?

He was pretty firmly 94-95, 50 pitches in, so I'm not sure how much he had left in the tank at that point, but he seemed fine. His velocity actually went up as he went along in the outings out of the pen (he also would do an opener style start where his velocity was good right out of the gate.). He has better control of his breaking balls than Bailey as well. 

I think they both are probably best as one time through the order guys, but if I had to pick one to be a traditional starter, I'd go with Rucker. 

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see how the pitching staff comes together.  I think the relievers that can only go one inning might not be long for our 40 man roster.  Next year we need guys with options, and guys that can go multi inning appearances.  I don't think we'll have an opener situation, but I think we'll have games where 3-4 pitch the 8-9 innings to complete the game.