Travis Shaw?

sportsfan8703

14 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Shaw could benefit from knowing that he’s going to be in the lineup everyday at either 2B or 3B. If need be we could get by some games with,

2B: Shaw

SS: Alberto

3B: Ruiz

Before anyone harps on that defensive alignment, realize that we’re going to lose 100+ games next year. No matter what we do. 

IMO Ruiz could use a little competition.  Other than Alberto playing 3B, we our only 3B prospect was in HS this time last year.  Ruiz is below average on his arm strength from his foul line side.  He’s not a quick twitch athlete either. Plus he’s not some young whipper snapper, the guy has had some chances.  Ruiz is an decent option for us, but my no means does he have 3B locked down.

Alberto had shoulder surgery in 2017 and it showed in his lack of arm strength last season.  I doubt he  plays much SS for the O's.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article157258684.html

I could see the O's signing Shaw to a minor league deal if he can't find work elsewhere.   They would bring him to camp to compete with Ruiz.

Otherwise he is just an older, more expensive Ruiz.  Neither hits lefties well.     At least Ruiz has an option left.  Shaw as a five year player can't be sent from the majors to the minor without his consent.  Which he is unlikely to give.

That is why he is more attractive to the O's as a minor league sign.