Reality: Our 2009 Rotation

joew

Because they have a $121 million dollar payroll.

If we sent them Penn and DCab I think they'd have a hard time turning down that offer.

So you want to give up two of our pitchers for a one year rental (an expensive one at that) when we would, in all likelihood, have no chance at the playoffs.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you want to give up two of our pitchers for a one year rental (an expensive one at that) when we would, in all likelihood, have no chance at the playoffs.

Personally, I'm done with DCab and I'd trade Penn for Vasquez. But, yeah I would. It sure as hell help save our pen.

If we sent them Penn and DCab I think they'd have a hard time turning down that offer.

The WS are losing a lot of payroll this year.

OCab, Contreras, Griffey, Dotel, Uribe, Ramirez, McDougal...They also have an option on Thome and a mutual option with Dye...Dye will probably want to go to FA because of his big year.

Vazquez is very good...No chance they even think about Penn and DCab for him. That deal would easily be beaten by other teams.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

Penn has virtually no trade value. It's possible he will have value to us next year and even more so in the future. Classic sell-low situation.

DCab also has no trade value right now -- shame we couldn't pull the trigger when he was hot early this year. The real question right now with him is whether we can take a chance on going through arbitration again. Much as he's provided value by eating innings (until recently, anyway), these arbitration outcomes sure lead to players getting a chunk of change that sometimes seems to outstrip their actual value by quite a bit; and that could be the case for DCab next year.

Guthrie is an obvious lock.

I think Burnett is the most likely FA pitcher we sign(talking multiyear deal here) IF AM wants to go after him.

I also look for them to either sign a Lohse-type pitcher to a one year deal or make a deal like Walker for Cedeno and Marquis.

So...

Guthrie

Burnett

Marquis/FA for 1 year deal pitcher

2 of DCab, Olson, Penn, Bergesen, Berken, Liz

I don't know enough about the AA pitchers to have an opinion on this -- but I'm curious why you left out Hernandez.

The WS are losing a lot of payroll this year.

OCab, Contreras, Griffey, Dotel, Uribe, Ramirez, McDougal...They also have an option on Thome and a mutual option with Dye...Dye will probably want to go to FA because of his big year.

Vazquez is very good...No chance they even think about Penn and DCab for him. That deal would easily be beaten by other teams.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

You're right. I didn't realize they had that much coming off the books.

But if they do lose all of those players, will they be able to compete again? I know they're not losing any stars, but they're losing their SS, CF, a starter, 2 relievers, etc. That's a lot to replace. By dealing Vasquez, they get more money to spend on FA's to replace OCab, Contreras, etc.

Also, Vasquez isn't THAT good. He's a #3 pitcher IMO. He'll give you a good 200 IP with an ERA most likely between 4 and 5. Since he left Montreal in 2003, he's have 1 season with an ERA under 4 (In 2007 he had a 3.74 ERA).

Penn (still) gives them a good pitching prospects - and prospects aren't something they have a lot of. He can come in and pitch out of the pen in '09 or maybe even crack the rotation. DCab can most likely emulate Vasquez's 200 IP, just at a higher ERA. And don't forget, they're saving about $5-7 million in payroll.

Guthrie is an obvious lock.

I think Burnett is the most likely FA pitcher we sign(talking multiyear deal here) IF AM wants to go after him.

I also look for them to either sign a Lohse-type pitcher to a one year deal or make a deal like Walker for Cedeno and Marquis.

So...

Guthrie

Burnett

Marquis/FA for 1 year deal pitcher

2 of DCab, Olson, Penn, Bergesen, Berken, Liz

Say what? Which Walker are you talking about?

You're right. I didn't realize they had that much coming off the books.

But if they do lose all of those players, will they be able to compete again? I know they're not losing any stars, but they're losing their SS, CF, a starter, 2 relievers, etc. That's a lot to replace. By dealing Vasquez, they get more money to spend on FA's to replace OCab, Contreras, etc.

Also, Vasquez isn't THAT good. He's a #3 pitcher IMO. He'll give you a good 200 IP with an ERA most likely between 4 and 5. Since he left Montreal in 2003, he's have 1 season with an ERA under 4 (In 2007 he had a 3.74 ERA).

Penn (still) gives them a good pitching prospects - and prospects aren't something they have a lot of. He can come in and pitch out of the pen in '09 or maybe even crack the rotation. DCab can most likely emulate Vasquez's 200 IP, just at a higher ERA. And don't forget, they're saving about $5-7 million in payroll.

Vazquez almost always has high K rates, low walk rates, great K/BB ratio...His home park is a hitters park, which effects his ERA some.

Archived