Iglesias signs with O's

weams

1 minute ago, interloper said:

That's fair. Elite is a dangerous word to throw around. 

It’s just one of those words where different people mean different things.    For some, it would mean top 2-3 in MLB.    For others, top 10 might be good enough.    

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Either way, I could see him platooning with Martin or Martin making it as a utility guy still. 

Wilkerson is more versatile than Martin. I don’t think either is the Second Coming, but Wilkerson is probably the choice between the two, although I’m a fan of Martin

I like having solid defense behind young pitchers (or old pitchers).  Can't think of anything more disappointing than making a good pitch just to see the infield fail to field a ground ball or turn a makeable double play.  It's a relatively low cost move.  I'm not as high on Alberto as some, but those two at SS and 2B is an improvement over last year.  Still not thrilled with the Villar trade, but I feel better about watching Orioles games today than I did yesterday.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I like having solid defense behind young pitchers (or old pitchers).  Can't think of anything more disappointing than making a good pitch just to see the infield fail to field a ground ball or turn a makeable double play.  It's a relatively low cost move.  I'm not as high on Alberto as some, but those two at SS and 2B is an improvement over last year.  Still not thrilled with the Villar trade, but I feel better about watching Orioles games today than I did yesterday.

It'll be curious to see at the end of 2020 if saving $7 million was worth basically giving Villar away and replacing him with Iglesias.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Alberto graded out very well at 2B last year.  +5 Rtot, +5 Rdrs, +4.0 UZR.    I think he’ll get more starts there in 2020 than he did in 2019 (67).    He and Iglesias should make a nice keystone combo when they’re both in the lineup.   

If Alberto hits right-handed pitching.

• Upvote 1

I like this a lot. He's still at a decent age and it's a low risk, short contract. He's averaged 1.7 WAR over the last 5 years. He's an above average defender that won't embarrass you with the bat. The defense is what matters here especially if we're going to have some groundball pitchers and/or really any pitcher that is developing. Smart pickup.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Philip said:

Wilkerson is more versatile than Martin. I don’t think either is the Second Coming, but Wilkerson is probably the choice between the two, although I’m a fan of Martin

Wilkerson can't play SS effectively which is a requirement of a utility infielder.

• Upvote 1