Idea: Offseason Hangout Night

Frobby

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m bumping this to see if anyone else is interested.    If so, please respond by Friday.  The response so far is pretty underwhelming, so I’ll bag the idea if we don’t get a good number of responses by then.    

Unfortunately, this has been a problem for years. This is why we bagged pregame get together before Hangout nights. This community is great online, but it's not much for the meet ups. 

I remember the days of getting 30-50 people to show up prior to a Hangout night. Good times.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Once I see if there’s enough interest, I’ll poll that group on where.   Another thought I had was to do it in the afternoon of Saturday Feb. 22 if it turns out the spring training opener is televised.    

I believe in past seasons, MASN has only televised home games from Sarasota.   The Feb 22 game is on the road, at Atlanta's new ballpark in North Point.   Now MLB Network also televises a game or two every day during the preseason so maybe they could have it.   The most "desirable" game that day (if there is such a thing in spring training) is the Nats and Astros opening their preseason against each other in their shared spring training facility after facing each other in the World Series... but that is a night game.   So it's possible MLB Network could show our games.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Unfortunately, this has been a problem for years. This is why we bagged pregame get together before Hangout nights. This community is great online, but it's not much for the meet ups. 

I remember the days of getting 30-50 people to show up prior to a Hangout night. Good times.

I remember one time you asked me to be on a panel for some Q&A, but then I got stuck in NYC on business and had to miss it.    I always regretted that, it would have been fun.    

I wish we could have done this before Luke joined the O’s and then gotten you two to argue about the prospects you disagree on (which aren’t that many, really).   Oh well.

if it happens, I’d still like to do some Q&A with you, and maybe do a little Hangout history too.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Once I see if there’s enough interest, I’ll poll that group on where.   Another thought I had was to do it in the afternoon of Saturday Feb. 22 if it turns out the spring training opener is televised.    

There's a Virginia Tech / Duke game we could watch that afternoon tho ugh!

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I remember hearing about those way back when I was a lurker.  What do you think has changed since then?

8 minutes ago, O's84 said:

I remember hearing about those way back when I was a lurker.  What do you think has changed since then?

I don't know 100%. I do know that social media has pulled some people away from the site as they prefer to have quick conversations and reactions rather than the more detailed knowledgeable conversations that occur on a message board. 

Some of is the fact that a some of our really active posters aren't really in the Baltimore area and those that are, don't seem to be the kind that like to come out from behind their keyboards for whatever reason. 

Honestly, @SteveA has been a most active person for showing up on Hangout nights and to events when we had them. Outside of that, we haven't even been able to get more than 2 or 3 members at best to a Hangout night when we worked to get absolutely great seats and over half off prices.  

We've had more luck getting people I know to come to the games and events than posters here. 

For whatever reason, the 100s of active posters on here just don't like to meet up in person. It's ashamed because it used to be a lot of fun to put faces to handles and have more of a personal experience. But alas, it is what it is at this point so I've stopped putting things together and not sure if we will continue Hangout nights next year.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I remember one time you asked me to be on a panel for some Q&A, but then I got stuck in NYC on business and had to miss it.    I always regretted that, it would have been fun.    

I wish we could have done this before Luke joined the O’s and then gotten you two to argue about the prospects you disagree on (which aren’t that many, really).   Oh well.

if it happens, I’d still like to do some Q&A with you, and maybe do a little Hangout history too.

Well if you want to do Hangout history with posters, we'd have to include @weams . He remember everyone! It's his gift! :D

Yeah, our best Hangout night ever was the night we had you, Drungo, weams and many others there and we oranged out the section. the Orioles had a comeback win, we ended up on the jumbotron, everyone ha a blast. then, it kinda just dissolved, strangely enough, it did when the team got good.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well if you want to do Hangout history with posters, we'd have to include @weams . He remember everyone! It's his gift! :D

Yeah, our best Hangout night ever was the night we had you, Drungo, weams and many others there and we oranged out the section. the Orioles had a comeback win, we ended up on the jumbotron, everyone ha a blast. then, it kinda just dissolved, strangely enough, it did when the team got good.

This time from the Facebook page?

10403789_10203551629503680_2739389652794

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know 100%. I do know that social media has pulled some people away from the site as they prefer to have quick conversations and reactions rather than the more detailed knowledgeable conversations that occur on a message board. 

Some of is the fact that a some of our really active posters aren't really in the Baltimore area and those that are, don't seem to be the kind that like to come out from behind their keyboards for whatever reason. 

Honestly, @SteveA has been a most active person for showing up on Hangout nights and to events when we had them. Outside of that, we haven't even been able to get more than 2 or 3 members at best to a Hangout night when we worked to get absolutely great seats and over half off prices.  

We've had more luck getting people I know to come to the games and events than posters here. 

For whatever reason, the 100s of active posters on here just don't like to meet up in person. It's ashamed because it used to be a lot of fun to put faces to handles and have more of a personal experience. But alas, it is what it is at this point so I've stopped putting things together and not sure if we will continue Hangout nights next year.

I went to a hangout game in 2018 and the section was mostly empty. Wasn’t sure who was from OH.