Poll: what do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

Frobby

What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Astros’ punishment?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/20 at 20:32

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Beltran is not being punished by MLB, he was the cooperating witness. He may get fired by the Mets. 

“Turned state’s evidence.”

Which means, “Nyah Nyah, I’m guilty and you can’t touch me.”

I did not know he had done that, but yes if the Mets don’t fire him they should be ashamed.

Part of me thinks it's a little light.  Another part of me doesn't really care too much.

Let's break these down:

• Suspension of Luhnow (before he got canned)

I mean, not a big deal.  In an ideal situation, he's got an assistant GM that can step up and perform some duties admirably.  The Astros could find a consultant to come in and perform GM duties for a year.  It's not REALLY a big deal.

• Suspension of Hinch (before he got canned)

Again, not a big deal.  You could find a manager for a year anywhere.  Either you've got a really good organizational guy in the minors that everyone knows and respects and can do an admirable job covering or whoever Hinch's bench coach is could manage, too.  

These suspensions, IMO, actually helped the Astros rather than hurt them.  Crane was able to axe them both like Thanos snapping his finger and can essentially reset his GM position and manager position with a really great team with a decent farm system and a good analytics staff/system in place.  People will want to work there.  Sure, the timing isn't perfect as it's a few months before the season but timing is rarely ever perfect.  These suspensions made Crane's decision making easier for him.  Suspend both for...6 months?  I bet Crane doesn't do this.  But a year makes this decision easy for him.

• 5 million dollar fine

This is like a fart in the wind.  It's the equivalent to a one year contract for an average middle infielder.

• Loss of draft picks

It's not like these draft picks are at the top of the 1st and 2nd rounds.  Had the Astros been picking in the top 5 in both rounds, I'd say this would hurt them more but they're not.  They're picking at the end of the first round this year and probably will be picking no higher than the middle of 2021 at worst.  

One thing I'm not clear on, does this mean they still have their draft pool money, or is that being eliminated, too?  Can they go way over slot for guys in the 3rd and 4th rounds because they're not spending money on 1st and 2nd round picks?  

Add all these up, these are just minor inconveniences, IMO.  

58 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Free Pete Rose!

And yes.  Always Free Pete Rose.  Ain't that right, @DrungoHazewood?

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you lose a draft pick you lose the pool money attached to the draft pick.

If it was last year this is the slot values the Astros would be left with after losing their first pick:

So they could potentially give a third round pick $1.5 million if they wanted to.  

Also of note the Orioles will get more slot money as they will be drafting higher.  Last year the slot value difference between 31 and 30 was $53,500.  So not a huge amount of money but there Second round pick will also be higher.  So you are thinking of an extra $100k to throw at someone 

58 minutes ago, oriole said:

I thought it was about right. The only thing I’d have changed is a larger fine. They surely made more than 5 million from WS promotions, ticket sales, concessions, and whatever else so they’re still coming out on top financially speaking. 

I agree, but I believe $5M is the maximum fine allowed pursuant to the current CBA.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I agree, but I believe $5M is the maximum fine allowed pursuant to the current CBA.

Actually league bylaws, I believe.  Fines against teams would not be covered by the CBA which governs relationships between the teams/league and players.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I think a better poll would be would you be willing to give up a couple late first round draft picks and Hyde's and Elias' jobs for the Orioles to win a World Series.  

Not even close. Of course you’d take that because we’re nowhere near winning one now.