Kline and Wilkerson clear waivers

MurphDogg

That's great, I like both of these guys even though they're not very good. I want to see if Kline improves at all - rebuilding teams shouldn't just give up on velocity if they can help it. And Wilkerson is at least a guy you can trust to compete at 100% if you need a fill-in. 

11 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Nothing here surprises me.

I don't think Wilkerson stays, honestly. As dumb as it sounds, I don't think there is a clear path for him to the Orioles. He really lacks a defined role other than "utility". Not particularly sure what he excels at. I bet he finds another team.

If our sorry sack team pegs him to be a utility guy, what would a decent team view him as?  He's gonna be a utility guy no matter where he goes.  

Stevie's best chance to get any kind of playing time, most likely, is to stay here.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If our sorry sack team pegs him to be a utility guy, what would a decent team view him as?  He's gonna be a utility guy no matter where he goes.  

Stevie's best chance to get any kind of playing time, most likely, is to stay here.  

There's got to be an Independent League team where he could be a star.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

There's got to be an Independent League team where he could be a star.

Sure, for $11,000 a year.  He'd be better off going to Korea or Taiwan.  I'm not sure he's an above-average player in Japan.

Or if he has a compelling backstory or compromising photographs of important people he could try the Willie Bloomquist career path. 3000 PAs of a 78 OPS+ because he's willing to play any position at any moment, including sitting on the bench for weeks at a time.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sure, for $11,000 a year.  He'd be better off going to Korea or Taiwan.  I'm not sure he's an above-average player in Japan.

Or if he has a compelling backstory or compromising photographs of important people he could try the Willie Bloomquist career path. 3000 PAs of a 78 OPS+ because he's willing to play any position at any moment, including sitting on the bench for weeks at a time.

3000 PAs over 14 seasons for a grand total of.... 

1.6 WAR.

That's craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy. 

And Seattle actually brought him BACK at the end of his career and paid him close to $6 million over 2 years to do absolutely nothing in 202 ABs! Wow!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Can't we get rid of anyone?

Funny!    But I’m glad to have them as depth.    With Kline, we have to keep in mind that even though he’s 28, due to his past injuries he’s relatively inexperienced.   I think he still has potential for improvement.     

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He might which is why he should resign with the Orioles.   The difference between Wilkerson and 50 other guys in AAA is opportunity.    He has a better chance of getting another with the Orioles just based on the fact that they know him and he has ML experience with them.

Also, I don't see Smith as a reserve outfielder but I guess it's possible.    I think he either starts in LF, is the LH side of a platoon, or gets traded/released.

Or optioned to Norfolk.