The forgotten man of the 2019 Orioles

interloper

Keon Broxton!

When we talk about 2019 Orioles CF, we tend to go straight from Mullins to Wilkerson, when really, that wasn't the case at all. We also remember Hays' excellent September, and even the quirky appearances by Stewart and Santander in center. 

But lost among all that is the fact that the O's traded for Keon Broxton and he was an Oriole from May 24 all the way to July 20. That's a lot of time! He played 37 games - 36 of them in CF - and had 103 AB. If you recall, he hit a home run in his first Oriole AB. 

Of course, he limped to a .611 OPS before being DFA'd and that's why we mostly forget he was our starting CF for 22% of the season. He was a positive defender out there, though. 

But wait - he didn't come in until a full month after Mullins was optioned. So who the heck played CF for most of May? Joey Rickard, of course. Who I might have forgotten about EVEN MORE than Keon Broxton. 

It's weird how much happens in a season of baseball. Maybe it's just me. 

• Upvote 3

So I think the CF progression was Mullins > Rickard > Broxton > Wilkerson. 

Only after both Rickard and Broxton were DFA'd did Wilkerson really settle into a starting CF role. The three previous guys were SO bad offensively, that the Orioles decided at least Wilkerson maybe gave them a chance at the plate, which he only barely did and by that point it didn't really matter.

It's really stunning just how bad the CF position was last year. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, for good reason.

Seemed like a good dude, could absolutely fly on the basepaths and in the outfield.  But couldn't hit worth a lick.

Sure. It's just like, if you told me Keon Broxton was the starting CF for the entire month of June, I would have a hard time believing it. 

I also just sorta thought Rickard wasn't even on the team last year. LOL

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

Only after both Rickard and Broxton were DFA'd did Wilkerson really settle into a starting CF role. The three previous guys were SO bad offensively, that the Orioles decided at least Wilkerson maybe gave them a chance at the plate, which he only barely did and by that point it didn't really matter.

It wasn't really a progression until we got to Hays. Until then it was just treading water.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, interloper said:

Haha. As Luke pointed out in the next post, he's "tooled up". It's too bad he wasn't able to figure it out because he would have been fun to watch. 

I had fun watching him leap at the fence for fly balls -- at a spot along the wall about 10 feet from where the fly ball actually cleared the fence.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Also, easily enough forgotten are the 20 starts in centerfield by Anthony Santander, across the 24 total games he played at the position.