Guess the 26-man opening roster

Tony-OH

22 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

Biggest swings to influence decisions-Cobb’s health, 26th guy’s ability to play IF/OF, Mountcastle’s service time clock

Offense-Hays, Santander, Nunez, Alberto, Ruiz, Smith, Mancini, Iglesias, Severino, Holaday, Davis, M. Williams, Velazquez

Pitching-Bleier, T Scott, Hess, Bailey, Wojo, Means, Castro, Armstrong, Bailey, Milone, Cobb, Sulser, Harvey

You have Milone Hess and Scott.

I have Stewart, Shepherd and Fry( I also have Smith not making the team. Despite losing10 pounds, I don’t see how that’s going to make him a better player.)

I appreciate that you’re actually there watching the guys, so can you go into some detail about your choices?

Specifically, regarding Scott? His problem is that he walks too many guys, and his comments seem to indicate that he doesn’t see it as a mechanical problem, but as a mental one. Attitude does count for a whole lot, but sometimes the attitude can influence us to deny any other problems.

SP    Alex Cobb
SP    John Means
SP    Asher Wojciechowski
SP    Brandon Bailey
SP    David Hess
RP    Kohl Stewart
RP    Paul Fry
RP    Miguel Castro
RP    Shawn Armstrong
RP    Richard Bleier
RP    Cole Sulser
RP    Hunter Harvey
RP   Mychal Givens

C    Pedro Severino
1B    Chris Davis
2B    Hanser Alberto
SS    Jose Iglesias
3B    Rio Ruiz
LF    Trey Mancini
CF    Austin Hays
RF    Anthony Santander
DH    Renato Nunez

C     Chance Sisco
IF     Dilson Herrera
UT    Andrew Velazquez
OF    Mason Williams

1 hour ago, Eric-OH said:

Of course I will.  I don’t have any great insight as to who will win position battles that have yet to really get underway.  It’s more a guess of how they’ll line up and formulate a pen/staff.  The guessing who fills the roles is my best estimate as to who will.  
Scott specifically hasn’t blown me away, but he does seem somewhat ready to be a bullpen weapon.  He’s big and intimidating and if he shows the ability to get the ball out of his hand/fingers exactly how he wants he’ll get k’s where he wants and less walks.  I give him a fair shot at doing that over the next month.  I guess I’ll bet on that adjustment in focus you mentioned.

Smith I base on relative level of experience.  He has some as opposed to none.  This is not anything other than a guess as to who will be left standing a few weeks from now in a group that isn’t drastically different from each other but competing to show they are.  
Wilkerson is an impressive baseball player and athlete.  He does something right just about every time you look at him-and he hustles. I know a bit about Velazquez and I’ll bet on him instead for my last spot. More of a hunch.  

I appreciate your insight, but I respectfully have to point out that the “if” you mention about Scott is the biggest elephant in the room. It’s always been “if” But there’s so much potential in his arm, and there’s so little emphasis on actually winning games, that the decision makers may decide to let him suck at the big league level instead of in Norfolk. That would disappoint me, but as I said, Mike doesn’t have me on speed dial so he can get my opinion.

After reading what other people of said, I think I still have time to change my answer so I think I’m going to go with Velasquez instead of Urena.

but I still think Hess doesn’t make it.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, Frobby said:

Do I get a point if I say, “somebody who is not in Orioles camp now,” and that proves correct?    

On 2/18/2020 at 11:22 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I'd give you two points if you named someone not in Orioles camp and you were right.

Exactly. Too vague. No points for you!

7 hours ago, ChipTait said:

Infield:

Davis

Alberto

Iglesias

Ruiz

Nunez

Rondon

Outfield:

Hays

Mancini

Santander

Smith

Mason Williams

Catcher:

Severino 

Sysco

Pitchers:

LeBlanc

Cobb

Means

Wojo

Milone

Bailey

Hess

Bleier

Scott

Givens

Castro

Fry

Harvey

I don’t see them signing more pitching at this point.

This is pretty good!

I’m going to agree with everything except what looks to be your UTIL (Urias, not Rondon, because I really want those tix) and your poor spelling of Sisco. 

• Upvote 1

1B Trey Mancini
2B Hanser Alberto
SS Jose Iglesias
3B Renato Nunez
C Pedro Severino
LF Dwight Smith Jr.
CF Austin Hays
RF Anthony Santander
DH Chris Davis
C Bryan Holoday
OF Mason Williams
UTL Andrew Velazquez
UTL Chance Sisco (DH)
SP John Means
SP Alex Cobb
SP Asher Wojcieowski
SP Wade LeBlanc
SP Tommy Milone
RP Mychal Givens
RP Hunter Harvey
RP Richard Bleier
RP Miguel Castro
RP Shawn Armstong
RP Cole Sulser
RP Paul Fry
RP Brandon Bailey

LeBlanc might not make it if he pitches poorly then I could see Bailey being a starter and either Rucker or Tate getting a chance in the pen. Armstrong also is on the bubble and could be beaten out by Tate, Stewart, or Tanner Scott could break camp. 

I think they will end up sending Ruiz back to AAA and give Nunez the starting 3B job in order to give Sisco PAs as a DH and occasional catcher. Obviously the Davis situation makes this up in the air because they could just send Sisco back to catch everyday in AAA and that would open a spot of for Urias or a playing acquired.

Dwight Smith Jr. is a bubble guy if a better option comes up on the waiver wire. If Stewart was going to be healthy I'd say he would be the starter in LF and Smith would be DFA'd.

Lots of ways this can be very different. Should be interesting.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:
1B Trey Mancini
2B Hanser Alberto
SS Jose Iglesias
3B Renato Nunez
C Pedro Severino
LF Dwight Smith Jr.
CF Austin Hays
RF Anthony Santander
DH Chris Davis
C Bryan Holoday
OF Mason Williams
UTL Andrew Velazquez
UTL Chance Sisco (DH)
SP John Means
SP Alex Cobb
SP Asher Wojcieowski
SP Wade LeBlanc
SP Tommy Milone
RP Mychal Givens
RP Hunter Harvey
RP Richard Bleier
RP Miguel Castro
RP Shawn Armstong
RP Cole Sulser
RP Paul Fry
RP Brandon Bailey

What's your Norfolk rotation?

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:
1B Trey Mancini
2B Hanser Alberto
SS Jose Iglesias
3B Renato Nunez
C Pedro Severino
LF Dwight Smith Jr.
CF Austin Hays
RF Anthony Santander
DH Chris Davis
C Bryan Holoday
OF Mason Williams
UTL Andrew Velazquez
UTL Chance Sisco (DH)
SP John Means
SP Alex Cobb
SP Asher Wojcieowski
SP Wade LeBlanc
SP Tommy Milone
RP Mychal Givens
RP Hunter Harvey
RP Richard Bleier
RP Miguel Castro
RP Shawn Armstong
RP Cole Sulser
RP Paul Fry
RP Brandon Bailey

LeBlanc might not make it if he pitches poorly then I could see Bailey being a starter and either Rucker or Tate getting a chance in the pen. Armstrong also is on the bubble and could be beaten out by Tate, Stewart, or Tanner Scott could break camp. 

I think they will end up sending Ruiz back to AAA and give Nunez the starting 3B job in order to give Sisco PAs as a DH and occasional catcher. Obviously the Davis situation makes this up in the air because they could just send Sisco back to catch everyday in AAA and that would open a spot of for Urias or a playing acquired.

Dwight Smith Jr. is a bubble guy if a better option comes up on the waiver wire. If Stewart was going to be healthy I'd say he would be the starter in LF and Smith would be DFA'd.

Lots of ways this can be very different. Should be interesting.

As one of my students said,”This...was unexpected.”

Sisco can’t hit, but he makes the team as a third catcher/DH? If he’s not good enough to make the team as a catcher, doesn’t it make sense to send him down and let him develop whatever skills he is missing, including possibly learning another position? 

Smith is the best option in LF?

Nunez’s D at 3D rivals Pedro Alvarez’, I would be disappointed if they dumped Ruiz in order to keep Sisco( And I think that’s what would happen in your scenario according to what you wrote)

Finally, LeBlanc is 35 years old, he has not been productive, doesn’t it make more sense to spend time giving innings to some more significant possibilities?

mind you, I’m not arguing. We agree on almost everyone. I’m just asking for a bit of clarification, especially about Sisco.

thanks.

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

As one of my students said,”This...was unexpected.”

Sisco can’t hit, but he makes the team as a third catcher/DH? If he’s not good enough to make the team as a catcher, doesn’t it make sense to send him down and let him develop whatever skills he is missing, including possibly learning another position? 

Smith is the best option in LF?

Nunez’s D at 3D rivals Pedro Alvarez’, I would be disappointed if they dumped Ruiz in order to keep Sisco( And I think that’s what would happen in your scenario according to what you wrote)

Finally, LeBlanc is 35 years old, he has not been productive, doesn’t it make more sense to spend time giving innings to some more significant possibilities?

mind you, I’m not arguing. We agree on almost everyone. I’m just asking for a bit of clarification, especially about Sisco.

thanks.

I would have just said, "wrong".