Myers and a Prospect

Camden_yardbird

Reports are the Red Sox are still talking about trading for Wil Myers and are talking about possible prospects Luis Campusano and Gabriel Arias coming back with him.

If the Orioles could take half of Myers Salary ($30 over the next 3 years), they would essentially be paying what the Red Sox paid for Moancada for a potential high level A ball prospect.

At some point you have to add prospect through means other than the draft/international spending or waiver wire dumpster diving.  They dont have many tradeable commodities so this seems like a viable path toward more prospects.

7 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Don't know where you get $45 million from. 

Not that hard.  I saw three years at 30M and multiplied them to get 90M then divided by two to get 45M.

Sure I was distracted and misread it but it isn't that hard to figure out my mistake.

I don't see the Orioles taking on bad contracts for players or draft picks.  I don't think ownership would approve such a deal.

28 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

At some point you have to add prospect through means other than the draft/international spending

Why?

Most teams looking to salary dump are non-contenders, and non-contenders don't give up prospects who they think will be valuable in the future.

56 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Reports are the Red Sox are still talking about trading for Wil Myers and are talking about possible prospects Luis Campusano and Gabriel Arias coming back with him.

If the Orioles could take half of Myers Salary ($30 over the next 3 years), they would essentially be paying what the Red Sox paid for Moancada for a potential high level A ball prospect.

At some point you have to add prospect through means other than the draft/international spending or waiver wire dumpster diving.  They dont have many tradeable commodities so this seems like a viable path toward more prospects.

I agree we should be looking at making these types of deals. We can't say whether we should make a deal for Myers since we do not know the prospects involved. But if we're going the tanking route (which we clearly are), we should be considering talent acquisition this way.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gatoriole said:

I agree we should be looking at making these types of deals. We can't say whether we should make a deal for Myers since we do not know the prospects involved. But if we're going the tanking route (which we clearly are), we should be considering talent acquisition this way.

Sure, I was annoyed when the O's were on the other side of these deals.  I just don't see ownership acquiescing.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, I was annoyed when the O's were on the other side of these deals.  I just don't see ownership acquiescing.

We'll see. I'm not optimistic either, though I'm not sure if it's for the same reasons.

We can't judge the deals in a vacuum, but if we end this rebuild without making this type of trade, I'll be negative about that aspect of the rebuild. When you decide to tank, this should be part of the cost.

I see that Myers is owed 3/65 with the buyout included at the end. That’s a terrible contract. He could have a 25 HR first half in 2020, and teams still wouldn’t even take that contract. 

A contender could live with it because at least any value he adds is a part of a contending team. That value would be non existent for us. We’re not contenders. Plus, we don’t need Campusano. We have AR. I’m sure the Padres are trying to trade the C and SS because they have their “long term” solutions in the MLB. They’re trading from a strength. 

8 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

$30 million should buy you a ton of prospects. Isn't the average surplus value while under team control of a 1:1 pick like Adley something like $20 million?

I doubt the Sox are getting that kind of value

By rWAR Mancini has been worth 5.9 wins.  At 8M a win that is about 48M.  He has been paid about 2M.

What good is think about surplus value and WAR, when you’re losing 100 games?  Value and WAR really only matter when you’re building a contender. 

Let’s say we did take on Myers and he was a 3.5 WAR player next year?  He’s still not tradeable, and contributed nothing to move the meter. In fact, he negatively impacted us by costing us draft pick position. 

Instead of spending any money on bad contracts, I’d rather we spent our allotted slot money each year in the Dominican. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1