Myers and a Prospect

Camden_yardbird

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Would be cool if Elias gets in on some of these types of deals, but, like, not this one. Which is far too expensive. And I'm much more concerned with him building up a pipeline of international talent and using Sig's methods to make good draft choices than I am  about nabbing one or two guys off the back of some expensive contract. 

Focus on the things that will provide year after year in a sustainable way. These kinds of deals are really the least of my concerns right now. If one makes sense, we could see it happen, but we have two albatross contracts on the roster as it is and a bunch of young guys at other positions. 

That depends on how you value the player(s) coming back.  The O's are limited in what they can spend on the draft and in the International market.  This is a way to add talent that isn't limited in the same fashion.  Remember the Dodgers spent 31M on Diaz and the Red Sox spent 72M on Castillo.

• Upvote 1

I can believe people think the Orioles can be competitive doing A, B, and C when their direct competition (the Red Sox in this particular situation) are doing A, B, C, D, E, F.....

And before someone brings up Tampa, the Orioles arent half the organization that tampa is in a number of ways and on top of that the Red Sox are now being run by a central part of the Tampa brain trust. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

The idea of the Orioles paying this kind of money for a singular prospect is close to insane. 

First, the article mentions a return of Quantrill, a top 50 prospect and a borderline top 100 prospect.  I don't think a singular prospect is involved.

Second, as I posted, if the Os send back a productive and cheap player like Mancini, the impact to the MLB payroll of absorbing Myers over the three years would be reduced by more than half due to the $ due to Mancini.

So, I would agree that taking a risk of absorbing Myers $ for a singular prospect would be insane, but that is also not close to what was proposed in the article and there may be other ways to skin that cat.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Orioles aren’t going to take on additional payroll period until they start winning and get out of the Cobb and Davis contracts. 

I don't think there is a basis in reality for the above statement.  Elias has in fact said these opportunities would be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.  The Os should be profitable in 2020 and should have the capacity to take on salary.  

Besides, any $ absorbed as incremental MLB payroll now should pay itself back with a cheaper payroll in the future.

50 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

The Padres are not a contender

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For a Wildcard?  They certainly are.

I’d put the Padres in the category of possible playoff contender, depending mostly on how their younger players mature.   PECOTA projects them for 79 wins.   Most of the Vegas oddsmakers seem to be in the 82.5 - 84.5 range for over/under.   That’s enough to hope for an 88-90 win season and possible wild card.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d put the Padres in the category of possible playoff contender, depending mostly on how their younger players mature.   PECOTA projects them for 79 wins.   Most of the Vegas oddsmakers seem to be in the 82.5 - 84.5 range for over/under.   That’s enough to hope for an 88-90 win season and possible wild card.

Preller is definitely getting fired if they don't make the playoffs or come close this year - so they'll be acting like a contender whether they are one or not.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Reports are the Red Sox are still talking about trading for Wil Myers and are talking about possible prospects Luis Campusano and Gabriel Arias coming back with him.

If the Orioles could take half of Myers Salary ($30 over the next 3 years), they would essentially be paying what the Red Sox paid for Moancada for a potential high level A ball prospect.

At some point you have to add prospect through means other than the draft/international spending or waiver wire dumpster diving.  They dont have many tradeable commodities so this seems like a viable path toward more prospects.

The Red Sox actually paid about $63 million for Moncada - they had to pay a 100% tax for exceeding their international bonus pool money.

I think your point here is valid - the O's should be looking into these types of deals, but I think Myers is a bit too expensive for how crappy he is - even if the Padres pay half his contract. I think I'd prefer the O's to use $30M elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

Where the hell would Myers even play? We’re overwhelmed with DH/1B guys and the only positional strength we have in the farm is upper minor OF prospects. Count me as a hard pass on this particular what if scenario. If it was for an overpaid 3B or 2B then I can see the appeal in taking a bad contract in return for some prospects but Myers would be a huge mistake.

6 minutes ago, oriole said:

Where the hell would Myers even play? We’re overwhelmed with DH/1B guys and the only positional strength we have in the farm is upper minor OF prospects. Count me as a hard pass on this particular what if scenario. If it was for an overpaid 3B or 2B then I can see the appeal in taking a bad contract in return for some prospects but Myers would be a huge mistake.

You could cut him.  Or eat 75% of his salary and flip him.

Myers isn't the important part, it's the effective buying of prospects.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You could cut him.  Or eat 75% of his salary and flip him.

Myers isn't the important part, it's the effective buying of prospects.

Are we the Dodgers now? I don’t foresee that happening. Sure I’d cut him but it’s not my money. If Davis isn’t cut, Trumbo wasn’t cut, Ubaldo wasn’t cut...I mean I know it’s a hypothetical situation we’re talking about but it just doesn’t make any sense to me. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

Are we the Dodgers now? I don’t foresee that happening. Sure I’d cut him but it’s not my money. If Davis isn’t cut, Trumbo wasn’t cut, Ubaldo wasn’t cut...I mean I know it’s a hypothetical situation we’re talking about but it just doesn’t make any sense to me. 

Pretty sure I've already said that I don't see the O's making a move of that sort.

2 hours ago, hoosiers said:

First, the article mentions a return of Quantrill, a top 50 prospect and a borderline top 100 prospect.  I don't think a singular prospect is involved.

Second, as I posted, if the Os send back a productive and cheap player like Mancini, the impact to the MLB payroll of absorbing Myers over the three years would be reduced by more than half due to the $ due to Mancini.

So, I would agree that taking a risk of absorbing Myers $ for a singular prospect would be insane, but that is also not close to what was proposed in the article and there may be other ways to skin that cat.

Fair enough.