Trey Mancini illness

eddie83

14 hours ago, SteveA said:

Nope.   Not if the surgery is "not until next week".   And, honestly, Mancini would just announce it.

The fact that they are maintaining privacy probably means that it is something that is POTENTIALLY serious.   Something like appendicitis they'd just say it.

Hopefully it's that they have to do a biopsy or something to determine if a potential problem is there, and hopefully the problem turns out to be not serious.

I agree.   I don't want to speculate, but it sounds as if it is a biopsy of some sort to evaluate.   The flu like illness that he has had may suggest something that revealed itself as needing further testing or it may be a red herring.   But either way, it is a serious matter it seems to me. 

Given that there is much that we don't know, it is hard to speculate what may be going on.  However, based on what we do know, this is my best guess as to what is happening.

1) Trey Mancini's respiratory problem is most likely not related to the Corona virus.  However, given how limited testing for the virus has been in general, it is not impossible that one or more players in a spring training camp has contracted the virus. The common cold and the normal flu are more likely causes of the number of respiratory illnesses but until the number of people tested gets into the tens of thousands, no one will know how wide spread the corona virus has spread.

2) Trey Mancini has likely has had all of the blood work and non-invasive radiological tests that can be done to diagnose whatever is wrong with him.  If something looked suspicious, then a more invasive diagnostic test is used to diagnose respiratory issues.

3) In all likelihood, Trey Mancini does not yet know exactly what his diagnosis is. If a diagnosis was clear, it is likely that the Orioles would have announced what the problem is.

4) Given that Trey Mancini's primary problem was respiratory, the most likely next step would be a bronchoscopy, a mostly painless procedure that examines the inside of the lungs.  The procedure is done while the patient is sedated but awake with a limited amount of local anesthetic.  I've had one and thinking about having it was scarier than the procedure itself.  This procedure is used to examine a number of lung conditions as well as draw samples of fluids in the lungs in order to better diagnose infections in the lungs that blood tests alone could not identify.  

5) The public probably will not know precisely what the condition is until the end of the week due to the time it takes to get results of bacterial cultures.  If it is more serious than an obscure bacterial infection, then it is likely the public won't know until Trey Mancini decides on a treatment plan.

At this point, the only thing that those of us not involved in his medical treatment can do is pray that whatever is wrong is not serious and pray for his speedy recovery.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

You're not doing any surgical procedure, or something minor right before your job starts. Also, since he's been sick through much of camp, this wouldn't appear elective in any way. IMO, what was thought of to be flu related is now at least suspected to be something else. And from the tone of the news, and the quotes from the teammates, I'd think it has the potential to be serious. I hope things turn out ok for him.  

• Upvote 2

Pretty poorly worded release of information by O's, Roch or whoever. It leads to way too much speculation, some of which may be true, most not. IMO, it should have been left at Mancini left camp, with the O's blessing, to handle some personal issues that required him to leave Sarasota. It is personal in nature and will respect Trey's wishes to keep it private.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Pretty poorly worded release of information by O's, Roch or whoever. It leads to way too much speculation, some of which may be true, most not. IMO, it should have been left at Mancini left camp, with the O's blessing, to handle some personal issues that required him to leave Sarasota. It is personal in nature and will respect Trey's wishes to keep it private.

How is what you said any different than what the orioles have released?

both lead to speculation.

the situation is a scary and it sucks, but the organization has done nothing wrong.

• Upvote 1

I haven't posted in a long time, but the seriousness of this situation, has urged me to do so.

I hate to speculate, but, is it possible Trey tried to hurt himself? That wouldn't explain him having a procedure, obviously. But, I just keep thinking about this, the more quotes, I read.

"Heartbreaking" is the word that I guess triggered this in my mind.

I'm sorry, to have brought this up, but, I've known quite a few people that have struggled with this issue.

Pray for Trey.