Trey Mancini illness

eddie83

What bothers me about what the organization is saying is that it does not give any guidance on whether his condition is potentially life threatening. As a fan, I think that would be a reasonable disclosure without invading his privacy. I have my own private theory about what may have happened, which would not be life threatening. Trey seems like such a genuinely good guy, I hope he’s going to be ok. 

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

How is what you said any different than what the orioles have released?

both lead to speculation.

the situation is a scary and it sucks, but the organization has done nothing wrong.

It is hugely different....non-baseball related surgery...really you don't see the difference??

The problem with the organization/Roch’s Commentary is that is is impossible to take it at face value. There is nothing in any announcement that ISNT going to create speculation.

if it were an appendix, they’d say so. That’s not baseball-related, it’s not elective, and it wouldn’t evoke  comments like we had from Hyde and Cobb.

if it were suspected Coronavirus, they’d be testing every human within 50 miles, or be subject to lawsuits so bad they’d cripple the team.

Saying so little always creates speculation, and the process of logical elimination leaves only one reasonable possibility, and that is the possibility of a serious medical  problem. So the organization should have said nothing or everything.

It is a difficult and thankless balancing act, but the organization didn’t handle it well.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Organization didn't handle it well? Maybe just maybe, they are respecting Trey's wishes and those of his family. It's his body - it's his physical issue and in that light none of our business!!! Speculation be damned - Get Well Trey!!!!! Those that want to speculate or criticize the Orioles , try instead offering concern and prayers for Trey and find something else to talk about!

I’m not sure I can think of how they could have handled this any differently that would have been “better.”

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I’m not sure I can think of how they could have handled this any differently that would have been “better.”

It is hard to handle this well if neither Trey Mancini nor the Orioles have any idea what the diagnosis is. So fans, reporters, the team and even Trey have to be patient before there is something definitive. With baseball related injuries, there is almost a script to describe the body part that is causing a player to sit out a game or practice.  The same is true with basketball and football.  

3 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

It is hugely different....non-baseball related surgery...really you don't see the difference??

I see “personal reasons” (as you suggest) as more vague, causing wider ranging speculation, than “non-baseball related surgery”.

regardless, if it is the o’s messaging that you are concerned about here, I don’t know what to tell you.

4 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yep. It’s understandable for people to want to know, but it’s really none of our business. He could not just disappear; the team had to say something. But there is only so much they can say for a host of potential reasons. Perhaps they don’t know what it is yet, but regardless, it’s not an injury, it’s a private health issue. If Trey wants to disclose what’s going on, he can, but the team isn’t going to release anything without his consent.

Whatever is going on, I certainly wish him the best. Trey is a heck of a player, but he also seems like such a good dude.