Trey Mancini illness

eddie83

2 minutes ago, lovetoaster said:

Yep. It’s understandable for people to want to know, but it’s really none of our business. He could not just disappear; the team had to say something. But there is only so much they can say for a host of potential reasons. Perhaps they don’t know what it is yet, but regardless, it’s not an injury, it’s a private health issue. If Trey wants to disclose what’s going on, he can, but the team isn’t going to release anything without his consent.

Whatever is going on, I certainly wish him the best. Trey is a heck of a player, but he also seems like such a good dude. 

The main reason it has escalated is the well intentioned comments from his teammates.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I see “personal reasons” (as you suggest) as more vague, causing wider ranging speculation, than “non-baseball related surgery”.

regardless, if it is the o’s messaging that you are concerned about here, I don’t know what to tell you.

Mentioning that he was leaving for surgery was unnecessary bordering on clueless IMO. Rightly or wrongly way, way too many people see surgery in this context and immediately think malignant tumor or something roughly equivalent.

A short, vague as possible, mention that Mancini was leaving for personal reasons with an update promised at some undisclosed future point was all that was necessary.  "Personal reasons" is mildly intriguing worth filing away for the future.  "Surgery" is a compelling story demanding immediate investigation with tweets galore keeping the lack of news nonetheless refresh-worthy.

The Orioles deserve a lot of credit for their willingness to be open with the media, but this particular escapade did Mancini no favors, especially if protecting his privacy was the goal.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Mentioning that he was leaving for surgery was unnecessary bordering on clueless IMO. Rightly or wrongly way, way too many people see surgery in this context and immediately think malignant tumor or something roughly equivalent.

A short, vague as possible, mention that Mancini was leaving for personal reasons with an update promised at some undisclosed future point was all that was necessary.  "Personal reasons" is mildly intriguing worth filing away for the future.  "Surgery" is a compelling story demanding immediate investigation with tweets galore keeping the lack of news nonetheless refresh-worthy.

The Orioles deserve a lot of credit for their willingness to be open with the media, but this particular escapade did Mancini no favors, especially if protecting his privacy was the goal.

I would assume that the information the O's gave to the media was cleared by Mancini or his people. Nothing to see here, just a bad situation. 

5 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I’m not sure I can think of how they could have handled this any differently that would have been “better.”

Just an awkward situation for all. Trey's tweet today was very well spoken and after reading, hopefully people will feel less desire to pick at the situation. I know I will.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I would assume that the information the O's gave to the media was cleared by Mancini or his people. Nothing to see here, just a bad situation. 

Does Mancini have "people"?  He has an agent, and that agent probably has a support staff that offers more services that just contract negotiation, but I'm not sure that includes a press agent routinely running interference.  In any case, release of medical information is covered by federal law and the Orioles would be fully aware of their limits.

You are correct, there's nothing to see here.  Yet.  My point is that the way the Orioles handled it made looking for something significantly more worthwhile.

9 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I hope for the best, but with the way his teammates are talking it could be something fairly serious.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-support-trey-mancini-health-issues

From the tweets in that article:

Trey

I look forward to a healthy recovery and being back on the field soon!

Alex Cobb

There’s no doubt in my mind, ... , that he’s going to get through this with no problem.

There is hope, almost expected hope, in both those statements. I won't speculate on what it is, just take them at face value and offer prayers for a healthy and speedy recovery.

• Upvote 1

I think it's pretty clear that the more we speculate and make up things on this forum the better off we all are.   It greatly improves the odds of learning the truth, as opposed to just waiting until Trey gets all the 2nd opinions he needs and the Orioles finally make the news public.   That would be so boring.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I think it's pretty pretty pretty clear that the more we speculate and make up things on this forum the better off we all are.   It greatly improves the odds of learning the truth, as opposed to just waiting until Trey gets all the 2nd opinions he needs and the Orioles finally make the news public.   That would be so boring.

You were so so close to staying in character, but don't worry. I fixed it for you but adding in a few "prettys".  :)

42 minutes ago, interloper said:

I say lock the thread until something is confirmed. What's the point? 

I agree. It's bad form to speculate. The O's didn't provide details because they want to respect Trey's privacy. We should do the same.

Best of luck Trey. Hoping for a speedy, smooth recovery. We'll be thinking about you.

• Upvote 1

Agree with can of corn, his teammates comments, while well intentioned, caused concern.  I really didn't think twice until reading his teammates statements.  But I think the biggest thing is as stated, something needs to be tested.  If he said he needed to be tested for cancer, people would say OMG Trey has cancer and freak out.  And then if it came out he didn't have cancer get upset for "him" working everyone up.  I've been waiting for us to not suck and will continue waiting for another year or so, so I think I can wait for Trey's results.