38% of the O's team could be over 30

wildcard

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Philip doesn’t like Sisco.    I don’t mean personally, he just doesn’t like his skill set. I’ve advocated patience with Sisco, but if Holaday clearly beats him out, so be it.   I expect that decision to be made at the very end of spring training.    

I sitting the fence on Sisco. He has a decent bat, not excellent, that might play at the Majors. But, unless he can improve his catcher skillset, I dont want to see him catching too many games.

IMO

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Isn't "we think he will grow into a productive major leaguer based on his current skill set and potential" deserving?

“ we think he will grow into...” It’s quite different from,”... we think he IS.” That’s the whole point of “deserving”  So, No. Especially, because his production has not indicated that he is or he will be. 

If they think he will grow into a productive major leaguer, they may decide to let him do that growth at the major-league level, but that comment is an admission that he is not at the moment. 

Edited by Philip

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I sitting the fence on Sisco. He has a decent bat, not excellent, that might play at the Majors. But, unless he can improve his catcher skillset, I dont want to see him catching too many games.

IMO

He has a decent bat reputation. Which he did major harm to last year. I'm on the fence too but hanging on by my fingernails. He needs to take a major step forward this year. Also IMO

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

He has a decent bat reputation. Which he did major harm to last year. I'm on the fence too but hanging on by my fingernails. He needs to take a major step forward this year. Also IMO

Major harm, last year?

Really

He killed in 2017, but was misable in 2018 and rebounded some in 2019, but .729 OPS isnt major harm.

Sorry my friend, I dont get it.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Major harm, last year?

Really

He killed in 2017, but was misable in 2018 and rebounded some in 2019, but .729 OPS isnt major harm.

Sorry my friend, I dont get it.

Maybe I'm mixing up my years. When got got sent down to AAA and then AA.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Philip doesn’t like Sisco.    I don’t mean personally, he just doesn’t like his skill set. I’ve advocated patience with Sisco, but if Holaday clearly beats him out, so be it.   I expect that decision to be made at the very end of spring training.    

I don’t like Sisco as a catcher( I cannot imagine anyone who thinks his catching is acceptable)and nobody likes him as a hitter.

If he is going to be a worthwhile major leaguer, he should learn a new position and develop his hit tool. Right now, his offense doesn’t justify his defense and vice-versa. I don’t see how anyone can be content with what he is doing.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t like Sisco as a catcher( I cannot imagine anyone who thinks his catching is acceptable)and nobody likes him as a hitter.

If he is going to be a worthwhile major leaguer, he should learn a new position and develop his hit tool. Right now, his offense doesn’t justify his defense and vice-versa. I don’t see how anyone can be content with what he is doing.

You are entitled to your opinion, and we all have our own.

But, to make blanket statement like nobody likes him as a hitter, it a bit over the top.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You are entitled to your opinion, and we all have our own.

But, to make blanket statement like nobody likes him as a hitter, it a bit over the top.

Find me someone, anyone, who is happy with how he is hitting right now and would be happy if he continues to hit like that. That’s what I mean. His career offense is poor: .203 avg, 85 WRC, negative -.02 fWAR, 33+% K rate.

Everyone is hoping he will improve. That’s my point: my point is also that he hasn’t improved meaningfully enough for his offense to compensate for his defense, Even at catcher, where the offensive bar is low, especially for a back up catcher.

On 3/10/2020 at 10:11 AM, Aristotelian said:

You know as well as anyone that all of those guys except D are on expiring or short term placeholder contracts. Seems perfectly normal for a rebuilding team with holes in the pipeline. 

This.  /endthread

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Find me someone, anyone, who is happy with how he is hitting right now and would be happy if he continues to hit like that. That’s what I mean. His career offense is poor: .203 avg, 85 WRC, negative -.02 fWAR, 33+% K rate.

Everyone is hoping he will improve. That’s my point: my point is also that he hasn’t improved meaningfully enough for his offense to compensate for his defense, Even at catcher, where the offensive bar is low, especially for a back up catcher.

He was 9th on the team in OPS.

So I would call him a total failure.

His bat is fine for catcher, if the skillset would match, and I agree, its not something I would bet on.

But, twice in the past decade, I have seen bad catchers work hard and improve their defensive skills.

46 minutes ago, Philip said:

Offensively, he did improve.   .557 OPS in 2018,  .729 in 2019.    That’s very meaningful if you ask me.     But I’m hoping for continued improvement.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Offensively, he did improve.   .557 OPS in 2018,  .729 in 2019.    That’s very meaningful if you ask me.     But I’m hoping for continued improvement.    

I’m at work right now and we just hit intermission so I got to check out the game score and frankly, if this is indicative of how our pitching is going to be, whether Sisco is good or bad will be the least of our worries.