When Will the 2020 MLB Season Begin? (Poll)

24fps

Start of the 2020 Season  

149 members have voted

1. 1. When will the 2020 season begin?

• Sometime in April
    • Sometime in May
    • Sometime in June
    • Sometime in July
    • No 2020 Season at All

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/20 at 04:59

Good to see the Ravens stepping up in the Baltimore area. 

The Baltimore-based Fund for Educational Excellence, the United Way of Central Maryland, the Baltimore Community Foundation and the Maryland Food Bank have each received $250,000, the Ravens said in a release. Ravens, Stephen and Renee Bisciotti Foundation donate $1 million to local coronavirus relief efforts

I'm hoping they can pick up spring training the last week in May and start the season in mid-June. They could allow extra pitchers on each team for the first two or three weeks while pitchers get stretched out. Play a 72-game season of 18 games with each of the other four teams in the division. The "regular" season would end at the end of August. There would be no wildcard teams. Each league would have a 3-team round-robin tournament, three losses and you're out. Winners would face each other in the World Series. The season would end in late September, hopefully before the second wave of the virus hits.

This is all probably just wishful thinking on my part. It's just as likely (perhaps more so) that some major league cities will be so devastated by the first wave of the virus that the idea of playing baseball is unimaginable this year. 

I voted June, mostly because I don't think the economy could be shut down for longer than that without dire consequences. Hopefully that anti-malaria drug works like they hope it will. The Coronavirus doesn't seem to be spreading like wildfire in South America and Africa.

Surprised there aren't more of these.  At least not that I've heard.

https://www.sheriff.org/PIO/BSONews/Pages/BSO-WARNS-AGAINST-COVID-19-SCAMS-.aspx

PIO Number: 20-3-28

Date: March 19, 2020

It has come to our attention that a social media post is circulating with a claim that representatives from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are going to residences dressed in protective gear and conducting COVID-19 testing. This is untrue. The CDC is not visiting residents' homes. 

During these times, scammers are seeking opportunities to take advantage of consumers. We encourage you to be vigilant in identifying scams and review these helpful tips: 

- Scams can include social media posts, texts and websites meant to take your personal information and money and infect computers.
- Think twice before investing in companies who say they are working on a coronavirus cure. Check official sources like the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission before being lured into a scam.
- Be aware of fake fundraising. Verify the charity is legitimate. If someone wants donations in cash, gift card or by wiring money, don’t do it.
- Watch out for online marketing of vaccinations or products claiming to treat the virus.
- Do not click on unfamiliar links or emails. Phishing emails may mention the coronavirus, medical supplies or claim to be from government, national or local health organizations in order to get users to open the message that unleashes malware.
- Watch for emails claiming to be from the CDC or experts saying they have information about the virus.
- Be aware of entering personal information into websites.
If you see or experience something unusual or have a question about something you heard, you can call BSO's non-emergency line at 954-764-4357. In the event of an emergency, dial 911. 

Sheriff Gregory Tony and the men and women of the Broward Sheriff’s Office are dedicated to your safety and well-being. BSO will continue to monitor and address safety issues and concerns. For additional important information, follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter or via our media alerts. 

THIS REPORT BY:
Robyn Hankerson/PIO

Teachers aren't going back to school and might be delayed next year based on how things go in the next 6 weeks or so.  Based on similar facts of groups of greater than 10, the season wouldn't start til mid-August or mid-September.  Who wants to watch a season where the players haven't worked together for months and have it count?  Maybe they can devise something interesting, but the season as we know it is over.  Even if it doesn't count, it's over Johnny, it's OVER!

its-over-johnny

Can we start a thread of videos of our best moments?  That Delmon Young video in the other thread gave me goosebumps.  That's what we need to be doing.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Teachers aren't going back to school and might be delayed next year based on how things go in the next 6 weeks or so.  Based on similar facts of groups of greater than 10, the season wouldn't start til mid-August or mid-September.  Who wants to watch a season where the players haven't worked together for months and have it count?  Maybe they can devise something interesting, but the season as we know it is over.  Even if it doesn't count, it's over Johnny, it's OVER!

its-over-johnny

Can we start a thread of videos of our best moments?  That Delmon Young video in the other thread gave me goosebumps.  That's what we need to be doing.

I like the Delmon Video. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its a signed contract and not a pay per game.

I dont know. I dont play a lawyer on TV or in here. :)

I suspect it might end up in ligation.

They have to play games. You don't need to litigate to know that. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

They have to play games. You don't need to litigate to know that. 

Are the cable subscribers getting money back on their monthly cable bill, as there are no games to broadcast?

So when the summer Olympic games get canceled, will NBC get back their 1.4Billion fee to purchase the rights to broadcast the game?

I wouldnt be so quick to assume yes, figuring the contract would take up several hundred pages, and a dream team of lawyers on each side arguing.

@Frobby

What say you?