MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

26 minutes ago, scOtt said:

And like I posted, and the NBA numbers are the ultimate SSS... But if it's 1.5% that's 5,000,000 cases in the US alone! STAGGERING number!

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus. 

Not one thing was cancelled and people barely remember that. 

Just something for us to ponder as we talk about "staggering numbers" from our quarantines.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus. 

Just something for us to ponder as we talk about "staggering numbers" from our quarantines.

Let's all hope and pray it gets forgotten.

14 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Amtrax must get a lot of mail...

Yeah,  funny LOL

14 hours ago, Going Underground said:

You know he meant Anthrax.The band gets lots of mail.??☺️☺️?

LOL Thanks, but it does happen to one of the deadly poisons, and they do screen for it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Asian flu in 1957-58 killed 1 to 2 million people. Estimates in US of 50,000 to over 100,000 deaths. Governments like to always downplay the numbers so you never get totally accurate numbers. Hopefully the measures significantly decrease the numbers this time but the economy is going to be bad.No one knows what will happen with a new virus.People keep asking on the news to experts when will it end.No good answer Could just stop next month,come back weaker or stronger in the fall Keep right on going or do a three times come back. Just data driven reports based on this virus and prior ones.No virus acts exactly the same .

21 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The death rate with COVID-19 is estimated at about 1.4 percent.  With H1N1 it was .03 percent.  That makes the corona virus about 50 times more deadly.  That's the important number.  Some medical experts have forecasted 40-70 percent of the population getting this.  If just 20 percent of the population got COVID-19 as they did H1N1 that would still equate to about 600,000 deaths roughly.  It will be in the millions if some of these experts are correct.

I'm skeptical that we have a season at this point because it just takes one player being infected to lock a whole team down.  Then how does the rest of the league go on playing games at that point?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah if only this were a mild disease like H1N1.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

The death rate with COVID-19 is estimated at about 1.4 percent.  With H1N1 it was .03 percent.  That makes the corona virus about 50 times more deadly.  That's the important number.  Some medical experts have forecasted 40-70 percent of the population getting this.  If just 20 percent of the population got COVID-19 as they did H1N1 that would still equate to about 600,000 deaths roughly.  It will be in the millions if the some of these experts are correct.

Numbers don't mean anything at this point cause no one knows who has it.  So, one can't do percentages yet.

If you want doom and gloom,  watch the opening to Dawn of the Dead from 1978. (no gore.)

In the Netherlands, after the government announced Sunday it planned to close most shops later in the day, lines began to appear in the country’s famous marijuana-selling coffee shops. Dutch residents and tourists were rushing to get cannabis-related products. Authorities later backtracked, allowing the cannabis coffee shops to reopen. But clients cannot smoke drugs inside the shops.

Amsterdam’s iconic Red Light district, apparently, is nonessential, or at least a good place to spread the virus, and it will remain closed until at least April 6.

9 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

In the Netherlands, after the government announced Sunday it planned to close most shops later in the day, lines began to appear in the country’s famous marijuana-selling coffee shops. Dutch residents and tourists were rushing to get cannabis-related products. Authorities later backtracked, allowing the cannabis coffee shops to reopen. But clients cannot smoke drugs inside the shops.

Amsterdam’s iconic Red Light district, apparently, is nonessential, or at least a good place to spread the virus, and it will remain closed until at least April 6.

I was in Amsterdam in August. I did not partake in the coffee shops but as I walked through the grassy field next to the art museums I could have gotten high by that alone.  I wonder if anyone is sitting out there now getting high.   One thing I did not like about Amsterdam is everyone smoking cigarettes next to you at outside cafes.   Tobacco smoking rate in continental Europe is significantly higher than in US.  And they don't seem to have concern about you when they do smoke.   Smoking next to babies and small children. 

30 minutes ago, atomic said:

I was in Amsterdam in August. I did not partake in the coffee shops but as I walked through the grassy field next to the art museums I could have gotten high by that alone.  I wonder if anyone is sitting out there now getting high.   One thing I did not like about Amsterdam is everyone smoking cigarettes next to you at outside cafes.   Tobacco smoking rate in continental Europe is significantly higher than in US.  And they don't seem to have concern about you when they do smoke.   Smoking next to babies and small children. 

I was in Austria last year and they've just passed legislation banning smoking in bars/restaurants/etc, and it took effect after we were there.  I anticipated some issues, but we didn't really encounter many people smoking indoors.

14 hours ago, 24fps said:

Indeed.  Which raises an obvious question.  How do "private companies" get tests/access to labs, etc. if theres a critical shortage nationwide?

Because the NBA owners are rich and politically connected and want to safeguard their investment. 

Meanwhile in a certain hospital ,did about 623 tests yesterday  and then could not do anymore. Ran out of tests. Next week should be a little better because of availability. .