MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

To get this thread back on topic.... the KBO is planning to begin playing games in early May. While MLB will certainly start much later than this, the KBO's plans might shed some light on what we might see MLB do, when the time comes. By comparison, South Korea only had eight new cases on Sunday. The United States had 26,323 new cases on Sunday.

- Truncated "spring training" of four games each (They have been playing intrasquad games for the past month)

- New regular season schedule

- Games will be held without fans

- Foreign players who went back to their home countries will have to be in quarantine for two weeks before joining their teams.

- Players must have their temperature checked twice before games.

- Players should wear masks at all times, except when on the field of play.

- Spitting is "strictly prohibited"

- Umpires, staff, bat boys, etc must wear masks and gloves. 

- If any player shows COVID-19 symptoms, the player will be immediately quarantined and stadium closed for 48 hours.

- If that player tests positive, anyone in contact with that player will be ordered to quarantine for two weeks.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

To get this thread back on topic.... the KBO is planning to begin playing games in early May. While MLB will certainly start much later than this, the KBO's plans might shed some light on what we might see MLB do, when the time comes. By comparison, South Korea only had eight new cases on Sunday. The United States had 26,323 new cases on Sunday.

- Truncated "spring training" of four games each (They have been playing intrasquad games for the past month)

- Foreign players who went back to their home countries will have to be in quarantine for two weeks before joining their teams.

- If any player shows COVID-19 symptoms, the player will be immediately quarantined and stadium closed for 48 hours.

- If that player tests positive, anyone in contact with that player will be ordered to quarantine for two weeks.

They also had a bench clearing brawl of MLB caliber this weekend.

Pitcher hit the dude in the arse, and it was game on and bench clearing for both sides.

I wonder how fighting fits into the guidelines of social distancing. :)

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

There could soon be a disruption to US production of beer and soda.  Producers need CO2 for carbonation.  34 of 45 ethanol plants that sell CO2 have lowered production.

If you make beer at home you don't need carbonation. You do need about 4 weeks or more to get it to a drinkable condition.  I think some Belgian beers are bottle fermented so you should be fine there.  

This makes me miss all the cask beers I had in Scotland a few years ago.  Naturally carbonated and quite tasty.  Also had a lot of bottled conditioned beer in Belgium.   

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

TV doctors. Dr Phil isn't a doctor and lost his licence in Texas to even do psychiatry. People take words of celebrities about how to think and behave. One celebrity actually said it is like being in a prison in a mansion in California. She has maids and cooks. I am so sad for her. Meanwhile got health care workers and supermarket people and many others really helping. 

This is a great answer ::

Gotta love Klopp....go Liverpool! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I know it's not for everyone, but if this is an example to follow, I'd accept empty stadium games if it meant baseball was back.  I know loss of gate revenue, cuts to game day staff, salaries and all that stuff.  But, for me if it meant having something to watch and look forward to, from the comforts of my own home, and as long as the players and team personnel were all healthy and not a risk to each other, right now I'd gladly sign up for that.

2 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I know it's not for everyone, but if this is an example to follow, I'd accept empty stadium games if it meant baseball was back.  I know loss of gate revenue, cuts to game day staff, salaries and all that stuff.  But, for me if it meant having something to watch and look forward to, from the comforts of my own home, and as long as the players and team personnel were all healthy and not a risk to each other, right now I'd gladly sign up for that.

I think one difference here might be that MLB players have not been playing intrasquad games. They'll need a much longer "Spring Training 2.0" to ramp up to game speed. Additionally, many players who live abroad would still need to go through a two-week quarantine. I think MLB will take a little bit longer to get organized than the KBO. That's no fault on MLB, the situations in the USA and South Korea are very different.

Here's a great site that has a model to predict when states can start to safely reopen: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

As you can see, Arizona and Florida have post-June dates. So, if this model holds up, I think we could optimistically see Spring Training 2.0 in the second half of June. That'd hopefully result in a Regular Season for 4th of July or the All-Start Break.

US_threshold_by_week_title_fix_20200417_

Edited by Mr. Chewbacca Jr.
Also, just to note - this is just one model and not gospel. Some find this model to be more optimistic than others.

3 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Maybe MLB could play in Taiwan.  

2 hours ago, osfan83 said:

Gotta love Klopp....go Liverpool! 

Dr Phil and Dr Oz are just two of the clowns that Oprah created, and there was another Dr, the one that wasnt a licensed surgeon, yet was doing cosmetic surgery and a patient died.

Rule is, if Oprah is behind you, then you must be a joke too. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Maybe MLB could play in Taiwan.  

Except for the massive, prohibitively expensive, and time-consuming effort to transplant at least several thousand people of indeterminate COVID-19 status to the other side of the globe despite travel bans, taking all their stuff to play 15 games a day in the five stadiums that are currently being used by the CPBL.  While feeding, housing, clothing, quarantining...  sorry, missed the fact you were joking.

22 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Once there is a handle on this pandemic and people start assessing this act, there are going to be so many stories of fraud, waste, and abuse.

I don’t have a small business, so I haven’t really paid attention, but I have a friend who runs a nonprofit who couldn’t get his application processed.  He said that there were no safeguards in place to prevent forgery of payroll records.  The banks pretty much said, if you want us to get the money out quickly, then we can’t perform due diligence on the recipients.

I know of 2 people who own their own business (remediation) who have been going non-stop even during this shut down.  Hiring people also.  They both applied and got 2 million each even though they don't need it.  Their attitude is, "If it's there, I'll take it."  I was looking for just a couple of thousand and I can't get anything cause it's all gone.  Luckily, I have some saved up for a rainy day.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

They also had a bench clearing brawl of MLB caliber this weekend.

Pitcher hit the dude in the arse, and it was game on and bench clearing for both sides.

I wonder how fighting fits into the guidelines of social distancing. :)

KBO has only been playing intrasquad games up to now. How could they have a bench-clearing brawl? With themselves?

EDIT: Found the incident you're describing, but it was in Taiwan, not Korea. Taiwanese baseball returned earlier this week.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/taiwan-baseball-brawl

6 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

KBO has only been playing intrasquad games up to now. How could they have a bench-clearing brawl? With themselves?

EDIT: Found the incident you're describing, but it was in Taiwan, not Korea. Taiwanese baseball returned earlier this week.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/taiwan-baseball-brawl

Maybe they did it the old BC way.

campy3.gif