How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm trying very hard to stay out of this thread because I have some very strong opinions about all of this.

Saying that, baseball and the other professional leagues will return this year. It will not cause any problems and life will begin to look somewhat like normal again. 

At the very least socially distanced seating and TV revenue will enable the sport to continue. Heck, I've been socially distance seating for years when I can because I don't like someone sitting next to me cramping up my space as a I watch the game! :D

While some people may choose not to come, and I would expect a significant decline overall in attendance, there is a large group of people that will have no problem sitting in Camden Yards, drinking a beer, and watching a ball game this summer. 

This used to America where we were allowed to choose what was best for us. If you choose to stay away, that is your right and I respect that, but I'm betting baseball will be played by July 4th! 

Yep.  Right here.  There's caution and there's beyond that.  Herd immunity is the answer.  Firing up the economy (safely, of course) has to happen.  

On 5/5/2020 at 4:22 PM, Frobby said:

You should have videoed the ant bowl race and sold it to ESPN — they’re pretty desperate for content!

? ? 

I was watching a little college two man spikeball on ESPN2 the other day.   Texas A&M vs Georgia.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, atomic said:

I am beginning to think I already had the coronavirus.

I went to Disney World last week of January and came back with a bad cough.  It lasted for a week.  Then in the Month of February I felt fatigued.  And had a rash over my back and my face.  Also had piercing headaches and I never get headaches.  Went to the doctor at end of February and she gave me cream for rash and said if it didn't get better go see your dermatologist and did blood work and scheduled MRI and CAT scans.  

Well my rash didn't improve with cream.  I canceled tests as didn't want to get infected.  Blood work came back fine.  Fatigue went away a week or so later and rash went away too.  Now I don't have headaches or Fatigue anymore after having it for a month. l

Today looked up rash and covid and saw it was a common occurrence.  

I had a tinge of it last week, but I beat it back cause I stay in shape.

YXZeMcD.gif

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

The point is money.

Wont be that much money for a partial season without fans.  And they want to cut players pro rated salary.  Players are asking the union if they can opt out of coming back.  I don’t see it happening.

Also a new Banksy which he donated to a hospital.

_112170733_banksy1.jpg

5 hours ago, Ripken said:

Yep.  Right here.  There's caution and there's beyond that.  Herd immunity is the answer.  Firing up the economy (safely, of course) has to happen.  

I am beginning to think that but how can people go back to work with schools closed for the year?

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am beginning to think that but how can people go back to work with schools closed for the year?

You keep saying schools closed... but you do realize that they are referring to the 2019-2020 academic year?  There's literally just 4 weeks left of school.  I know there are rumors about next year, but don't act like it's for the rest of 2020.

7 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

You keep saying schools closed... but you do realize that they are referring to the 2019-2020 academic year?  There's literally just 4 weeks left of school.  I know there are rumors about next year, but don't act like it's for the rest of 2020.

I’m willing to sacrifice everything for school to start in the fall.  If I had to choose between 2020 baseball and school starting in the fall, I’m choosing the latter all day, everyday.

52 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

That is another month and then what about summer camps?  I guess you don’t have kids.  You seem to discount schools so much.

7 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I’m willing to sacrifice everything for school to start in the fall.  If I had to choose between 2020 baseball and school starting in the fall, I’m choosing the latter all day, everyday.

According to friends and family, there are rumors floating around that the schools are going to stay closed until Jan 2021, to keep the kids safe through the 2nd wave in the fall.

Not, sure I buy into that, at this time.

But, being a parent, grandfather and great-grandfather, I am all about keeping the kids safe.

Now, we also have that new scare of a mutant covid that is hitting the kids. Not sure how much of that is truth and how much is hysteria.

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm trying very hard to stay out of this thread because I have some very strong opinions about all of this.

Saying that, baseball and the other professional leagues will return this year. It will not cause any problems and life will begin to look somewhat like normal again. 

At the very least socially distanced seating and TV revenue will enable the sport to continue. Heck, I've been socially distance seating for years when I can because I don't like someone sitting next to me cramping up my space as a I watch the game! :D

While some people may choose not to come, and I would expect a significant decline overall in attendance, there is a large group of people that will have no problem sitting in Camden Yards, drinking a beer, and watching a ball game this summer. 

This used to America where we were allowed to choose what was best for us. If you choose to stay away, that is your right and I respect that, but I'm betting baseball will be played by July 4th! 

This would be the best-case scenario for sure, and I hope it happens. Right now, though, it doesn't seem realistic.

The big thing it's going to come down to is testing. For baseball to have any hope of returning this year, MLB will need to have access to thousands of tests every day (or thereabouts) to test the players, coaches, support staff, etc. Right now there aren't enough tests available. Will there be enough by June? I certainly hope so, but there's no way to know just yet.

16 hours ago, Ripken said:

Walk me through how opening up the economy safely and herd immunity work together.  From what I understand, to get to herd immunity, 70-90% of the population needs to be infected.  Currently the mortality rate is 6%.  Now, I definitely believe the amount of cases is underreported due to lack of testing and those not showing symptoms.  So let’s say instead of the 1.25M reported cases, there are actually 2.5M people with it and the mortality rate is 3%.  We’re talking 6-9M deaths.  

11 hours ago, atomic said:

A tough situation for sure.  There will need to be creative answers, many of which are happening now but we'll need other approaches, too.  Smaller, isolated daycare setups, in a home possibly, with a preschool teacher that isn't working at their preschool.  Maybe some summer camp solutions for splitting kids into smaller subgroups.  There are people who have been out of their home working the last two months.  What have they done during this time with their children?  In some cases, it's possible one adult was home while another worked and now both will be out working, but many have found solutions to their kid's distance learning already.  More varied hours, maybe.  One thing that's very clear, while 20% unemployment is terrible, a bright side is that many of the 80% working are doing so from home and that does not need to change until schools are open.  I've been teleworking this entire time and I know I won't be back on my Federal campus any time soon, for several reasons, but the top of that list is having children at home.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

According to friends and family, there are rumors floating around that the schools are going to stay closed until Jan 2021, to keep the kids safe through the 2nd wave in the fall.

Not, sure I buy into that, at this time.

But, being a parent, grandfather and great-grandfather, I am all about keeping the kids safe.

Now, we also have that new scare of a mutant covid that is hitting the kids. Not sure how much of that is truth and how much is hysteria.

Safe from a virus that has no serious effects on kids? 

I don't know who the government is protecting, looks like nursing homes and the morbidly obese, but kids are at zero risk, and I wish folks would stop using their safety as an excuse for destroying their lives.

53 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Safe from a virus that has no serious effects on kids? 

I don't know who the government is protecting, looks like nursing homes and the morbidly obese, but kids are at zero risk, and I wish folks would stop using their safety as an excuse for destroying their lives.

We know that you can carry and spread it without showing any symptoms at all... so do kids infect each other and then go on to infect their teachers and members of their households? I've seen conflicting reports on that, but until we know this for sure, then you have to be really cautious about sending kids back to school the same way we did before.

7 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

We know that you can carry and spread it without showing any symptoms at all... so do kids infect each other and then go on to infect their teachers and members of their households? I've seen conflicting reports on that, but until we know this for sure, then you have to be really cautious about sending kids back to school the same way we did before.

I think it's a near-certainty that kids can be carriers without really being affected.  And they will transmit the virus to teachers, administrators, and other people at home.

And not all kids are unaffected.