How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

The difference was not statistically significant.  That means there is a decent probability that the difference was by chance.  If you flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads 6 times it doesn't mean the coin is 60 percent chance of coming up heads in the future.  The Chinese study that Gilead performed had people who took the drug dying more frequently than placebo. 

Most likely the drug will not help and it will have big side effects and it will waste doctors and nurses time to give the drug as it has to be given intravenously.

The scientific method and statistical significance and quality data sources are fine for relatively trivial things like Mike Elias' analytics department.  But this is life and death.  If ever there's a time to wing it, it's now.

Just for background information....this was a compassionate use study in severely ill Covid patients.   It needs verification as it states, but clearly will likely be used in those instances in hospital cases that are severe. 

This is the abstract from the New England Journal of Medicine....Compassionate use of Remdesivir for Patients with Severe Covid-19-  from April 10 edition....https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007016

BACKGROUND

Remdesivir, a nucleotide analogue prodrug that inhibits viral RNA polymerases, has shown in vitro activity against SARS-CoV-2.

METHODS

We provided remdesivir on a compassionate-use basis to patients hospitalized with Covid-19, the illness caused by infection with SARS-CoV-2. Patients were those with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection who had an oxygen saturation of 94% or less while they were breathing ambient air or who were receiving oxygen support. Patients received a 10-day course of remdesivir, consisting of 200 mg administered intravenously on day 1, followed by 100 mg daily for the remaining 9 days of treatment. This report is based on data from patients who received remdesivir during the period from January 25, 2020, through March 7, 2020, and have clinical data for at least 1 subsequent day.

RESULTS

Of the 61 patients who received at least one dose of remdesivir, data from 8 could not be analyzed (including 7 patients with no post-treatment data and 1 with a dosing error). Of the 53 patients whose data were analyzed, 22 were in the United States, 22 in Europe or Canada, and 9 in Japan. At baseline, 30 patients (57%) were receiving mechanical ventilation and 4 (8%) were receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. During a median follow-up of 18 days, 36 patients (68%) had an improvement in oxygen-support class, including 17 of 30 patients (57%) receiving mechanical ventilation who were extubated. A total of 25 patients (47%) were discharged, and 7 patients (13%) died; mortality was 18% (6 of 34) among patients receiving invasive ventilation and 5% (1 of 19) among those not receiving invasive ventilation.

CONCLUSIONS

In this cohort of patients hospitalized for severe Covid-19 who were treated with compassionate-use remdesivir, clinical improvement was observed in 36 of 53 patients (68%). Measurement of efficacy will require ongoing randomized, placebo-controlled trials of remdesivir therapy.

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

What do you know about science?

Your crap gets really really old in here.

horrible side effects? Really, dont you think you are hyped up and gone over the edge?

Yes, long term studies, said it hurts your retinas if on it for more than 10 years. Repeat 10 years

Look at the facts, other countries were using it before the US with good results.

A 3rd party survey site did a survey of 6K doctors and said, what is the best way you have found to treat COVID. is Hyrdroxchoroquine and zpack.

You are a real piece of work.

Every study has said that Hyrdroxchoroquine it did not work.   But instead of the scientific studies I should listen to racist name rick's  who I am guessing never took a  college level experimental science course in his life.  I will trust science over you.  

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The scientific method and statistical significance and quality data sources are fine for relatively trivial things like Mike Elias' analytics department.  But this is life and death.  If ever there's a time to wing it, it's now.

In Europe they are testing another drug. Hopefully that one has better results.  Yeah I am sure the reason doctors are just throwing anything at a patient is there is really no treatment other than giving oxygen and IV fluids.  Doctors like to prescribe medicine as that is what they do.  I am not against further studies on the drug but so far it appears to be ineffective. 

But this drug is not as simple as giving someone a pill and hoping for the best    It requires effort to administer.  

Remdesivir is the treatment  drug that has shown some partial benefits in CDT's.It seems to block an enzyme from mutating in the body.More CDT's are needed.Problem with Remdesivir is that there was only about 1.3 million doses available as of last week.That would work out to about 145,000 patients.Not a pill so takes time to produce and is very expensive. Doctors are trying to work with Remdesivir and other drugs to see if they can get better results.The immodine trail in NY also showed some decent results.So far no treatment that will stop the virus totally and probably never will.

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

NHL commissioner said next season start could be pushed back to December. 

Said it isn't a race to see who can come back first and player safety comes first.

Has he closed the door on the ‘19/20 season?  I haven’t been paying attention to the NHL.

If the NBA/NHL are trying to continue their seasons and have playoffs, and they don’t  finish until late July/August, then postponing the following season makes sense.

3 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Has he closed the door on the ‘19/20 season?  I haven’t been paying attention to the NHL.

If the NBA/NHL are trying to continue their seasons and have playoffs, and they don’t  finish until late July/August, then postponing the following season makes sense.

No I think this is if the season doesn't resume.  I think they still are hopeful for resuming the season but it doesn't appear likely that we will have sports anytime soon.

Last week, the Food and Drug Administration, citing reports of “serious heart rhythm problems” associated with hydroxychloroquine, warned doctors against its use outside of a hospital or clinical trial.

Funny that some doctor that appeared frequently on  Fox News hyping hydroxychloroquine is now under investigation by the Justice Department.  Seems one of his cohorts in a plan to prescribe this via virtual doctoring for a fee sent an email meant for him to someone in the Justice Department with a similar last name. Including a video with a bunch of false claims about the effectiveness of the drug.  

I guess people are trying to make as much money as possible off this virus and are trying to get the gullible on this medication. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Every study has said that Hyrdroxchoroquine it did not work.   But instead of the scientific studies I should listen to racist name rick's  who I am guessing never took a  college level experimental science course in his life.  I will trust science over you.  

Oh come on now, he didn't choose his favorite teams name, disagree with him, but don't find an back handed way to suggest he is racist just because he likes alliteration.  

Back to the subject at hand, I keep reading July for the start of the season.  I for one do hope they find a safe way to get games going, really need to see some baseball.  

Also, has there been any mention of what starting the MLB season would mean for minor league players, is it a forgone conclusion that there will be no minor league seasons no matter what they do with MLB?

9 minutes ago, murph said:

Oh come on now, he didn't choose his favorite teams name, disagree with him, but don't find an back handed way to suggest he is racist just because he likes alliteration.  

Back to the subject at hand, I keep reading July for the start of the season.  I for one do hope they find a safe way to get games going, really need to see some baseball.  

Also, has there been any mention of what starting the MLB season would mean for minor league players, is it a forgone conclusion that there will be no minor league seasons no matter what they do with MLB?

I never said he was a racist but I have said he is a misogynist and has said very offensive things on here many times that I have reported.  

2 hours ago, atomic said:

In Europe they are testing another drug. Hopefully that one has better results.  Yeah I am sure the reason doctors are just throwing anything at a patient is there is really no treatment other than giving oxygen and IV fluids.  Doctors like to prescribe medicine as that is what they do.  I am not against further studies on the drug but so far it appears to be ineffective. 

But this drug is not as simple as giving someone a pill and hoping for the best    It requires effort to administer.  

I thought it was obvious that I was being 100% tongue-in-cheek, but maybe it wasn't so clear. If ever you want to get your data and analysis right it's with a pandemic.  Otherwise you go on a hunch and thousands could die.  This isn't goofing around with platoon differentials.

14 minutes ago, murph said:

They won’t make a firm decision until things get clearer, but I believe the plan is no minor league games, but possibly expanded rosters.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

They won’t make a firm decision until things get clearer, but I believe the plan is no minor league games, but possibly expanded rosters.

There was a rumor going around a few days ago that they were cancelling the MiLB season, but apparently that was at least premature.

Another article says the independent Atlantic League wants to press on and have a season.

The complication with the minors compared to the majors is that the minors get a much larger percentage of their revenues from ticket sales.  The majors get a lot of revenues from TV, streaming, radio, etc.  Most minor league teams (including the Atlantic League) have none of that.  I don't think the Blue Crabs have even a single AM radio affiliate. Kind of like baseball circa 1930. So if they're not able to come back with fans there's probably no point.