Owners submit new economic plan to union : UPDATED

Tony-OH

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure there are some incentives to overreport in some instances.    At the same time, there have been reports that deaths from all causes are up by a much larger number than have been attributed to coronavirus.   That tells you that, overall, the number of deaths related to coronavirus are probably being underreported, not overreported.    That has been the history with past pandemics.   Though I’m sure some of the “extra” deaths are being caused by economic factors, suicides, people avoiding hospitals etc. that are not medically related to coronavirus.    Here’s a good discussion of it:   https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/04/27/covid-19-death-toll-undercounted/?arc404=true

So Governor Cuomo was forcing nursing homes to take recovering  Covid patients for two months. It was like throwing gasoline on a burning fire.  Also putting frail elderly people on ventilators probably killed more than it helped and giving them unproven drugs with the side effects of heart attacks probably didn’t help. 

Here is a misleading narrative from the media. So veterans hospital had 72 deaths due to covid and newspaper says it was like a mass shooting. Well the facility has 350 beds. In a typical year they have 175 deaths. So assuming the hospital is always full you are talking about a 50 percent mortality rate. The people there are on the edge of death to begin with.

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

So Governor Cuomo was forcing nursing homes to take recovering  Covid patients for two months. It was like throwing gasoline on a burning fire.  Also putting frail elderly people on ventilators probably killed more than it helped and giving them unproven drugs with the side effects of heart attacks probably didn’t help. 

Here is a misleading narrative from the media. So veterans hospital had 72 deaths due to covid and newspaper says it was like a mass shooting. Well the facility has 350 beds. In a typical year they have 175 deaths. So assuming the hospital is always full you are talking about a 50 percent mortality rate. The people there are on the edge of death to begin with.

Please provide a citation for the newspaper that says "it was like a mass shooting." Would like to read that item and need the name of the paper, the date of publication, and the title of the news article. Thanks so much.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Please. I beg you. No politics again. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, weams said:

So they want the players to haver their salaries cut in half, I can see that.  But then cut it again to split revenue, so you are then cut another 30-40%.  Sign a $10M contract and get paid $3M.  That’s tough.  But then on top of that, you are telling them they can’t have groupies at the hotel?????  And they can’t spit?  Rough times.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

So they want the players to haver their salaries cut in half, I can see that.  But then cut it again to split revenue, so you are then cut another 30-40%.  Sign a $10M contract and get paid $3M.  That’s tough.  But then on top of that, you are telling them they can’t have groupies at the hotel?????  And they can’t spit?  Rough times.

Certainly first world problems, aren't they?  As for spitting, Gaylord Perry wasn't available for comment.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure there are some incentives to overreport in some instances.    At the same time, there have been reports that deaths from all causes are up by a much larger number than have been attributed to coronavirus.   That tells you that, overall, the number of deaths related to coronavirus are probably being underreported, not overreported.    That has been the history with past pandemics.   Though I’m sure some of the “extra” deaths are being caused by economic factors, suicides, people avoiding hospitals etc. that are not medically related to coronavirus.    Here’s a good discussion of it:   https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/04/27/covid-19-death-toll-undercounted/?arc404=true

This will a huge part of it. I don't believe for a second that actually corona virus deaths are under reported in the United States, but the deaths caused by this continual lockdown/shutdown will end up killing 10 fold as many when it's all said and done. 

Our initial supposed 14-day quarantine to allow our Hospitals to prepare along with social distancing in the beginning made sense. Then, the goal posts kept changing on why we were being quarantined. 

I saw an eye opening post from a laid of healthcare worker that talked about 1.5 million healthcare workers that were laid off just during the month of April. The person spoke about how cancer diagnosis in the United states were down 30% due to people not getting checked out. How many people will die due to not being diagnosed earlier? 

These deaths, which are the corona virus reaction related, are not being considered by many who just want everyone to stay home. 

Since my oldest adult son is intellectually disabled, I'm very familiar with many difficult situations with people who live with someone with behavior issues who are getting no breaks or services and the stress can be unbearable for these folks. 

It's easy for people to say, "just sit on the couch, watch Netflix," but besides the very real economic problems this thing is causing, there are so many secondary effects that are not being tracked or at the very least, not being reported.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This will a huge part of it. I don't believe for a second that actually corona virus deaths are under reported in the United States, but the deaths caused by this continual lockdown/shutdown will end up killing 10 fold as many when it's all said and done. 

Well, I disagree with this 100%.    But I do believe there will be deaths resulting from the shutdown, as I said in my prior post.    It will be a while before anyone can estimate how many.