This is not baseball. An opinion.

now

37 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Agreed.  The wave is for fans whose team is terrible and non entertaining. 

Or for the people who've shown up because the team is good and they want to be part of it, but don't really like baseball so after sitting there for two and a half hours they get fidgety.

nowave.jpg

14 hours ago, Philip said:

You can call it whatever you wish, but at some point, the game on the field gets far enough away from the game in your head and in your heart that it no longer becomes “baseball,” but a pale shadow, with neither sound nor fury, but signifying nothing.

To me, the Sims are not baseball, but daydreaming; it’s “what if” and to me it’s meaningless so I do not participate.

Manfred has been a disaster, and the Virus is not giving him a chance to redeem himself.

I miss baseball terribly, but this caricature is like Ersatz coffee. Terrible but considered better than nothing.

Except I don’t think it is better than nothing.

i agree with the original post.

I don’t get this. Do you enjoy baseball because of players spitting and high fiving and cutaway shots to guys chatting in the dugout? I mean sure, that is an aspect that enhances it, but I like watching balls get swung on and missed and double plays and a guy evading a tag with a crafty slide at the plate. That is baseball and that will still exist and I can’t wait for it. And then next year I’ll rejoice when somebody puts a bubble on someone’s cap in the dugout.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I don’t get this. Do you enjoy baseball because of players spitting and high fiving and cutaway shots to guys chatting in the dugout? I mean sure, that is an aspect that enhances it, but I like watching balls get swung on and missed and double plays and a guy evading a tag with a crafty slide at the plate. That is baseball and that will still exist and I can’t wait for it. And then next year I’ll rejoice when somebody puts a bubble on someone’s cap in the dugout.

I'm mostly here for the spitting and crotch grabbing.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, survivedc said:

There is baseball and there is baseball. At one end of the spectrum the game can be distilled perfectly into statistics, so that a virtual sim is the essence and all we need to know. At the other end is the full-on immersive, holistic experience of the game, complete with cigar smoke (wait, is that still allowed?), beer smells, hot dog vendors, chewing and spitting, ragging on umpires, and the sheer divine madness of tens of thousands of fans packed together in a drama with both meditation and frenzy. I can't in truth say that baseball is only one of these things; but it's certainly not complete when the spectrum is severely truncated and regulated at one end.

Now as to the question of electronic strike zones, that's a game-changer, and a whole worthy debate of a similar nature. On that one I'll come down on the techy side, I'm afraid, just because the human side of the traditional umpiring game is so egregiously flawed.

58 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Agreed. Nothing in the OP affects the on TV product whatsoever IMO, and I'm over an hour away now so rarely go in person anyway.

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

Or for people who want to have fun.   I always do the wave when it comes around.  

You're not watching the ballgame anyway, since the Orioles and all their players and management are terrible and not worth watching. 

If you want to do the wave you can save the cost of a ticket and a $12 beer and just do the wave out on the sidewalk.  And then you won't be standing up every 30 seconds in front of the people trying to watch the ballgame.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, connja said:

what did Bill Gates say? 

Here's the exact quote by Bill Gates, with relevance to the "new" version of baseball we may (or may not) see:

"... and which activities like mass gatherings, uh, may be in a certain sense more optional; and so until you're widely vaccinated, those may not, uh, come back, uh, at all."

8 hours ago, now said:

Here's the exact quote by Bill Gates, with relevance to the "new" version of baseball we may (or may not) see:

"... and which activities like mass gatherings, uh, may be in a certain sense more optional; and so until you're widely vaccinated, those may not, uh, come back, uh, at all."

Which clearly indicates why we need the ban on politics, because the interpretation of that quote was far different than the literal text, and the discussion quickly turned south.

Without the political subtext it's not particularly controversial to suggest that some optional events with mass gatherings could wait for a vaccine.  But if you want to run with inferences you can make anything as crazy as you want.

• Upvote 1