MLBTR: Players Make Counter-Proposal

weams

Details of the proposal included a 114-game regular season that would end on Halloween, an opt-out clause that would allow any player to sit out the season, and a potential deferral of 2020 salaries if the postseason was canceled.  Evan Drellich of The Athletic (Twitter links) has further updates, specifying that the 114-game season would begin on June 30, and that an expanded playoff structure would be in place for both the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

Players would also receive a $100MM salary advance during whatever type of training camp takes place this summer, as some ramp-up time is inevitably required in advance of the season getting underway.  This $100MM payment is similar to the $170MM advance payment that players received this past March as an advance on their 2020 salaries.  As per the March agreement, that $170MM in salary would be all the players would receive in the event of a canceled 2020 season.  Since both payments are an advance, the total $270MM would be factored into salaries received during any 2020 regular-season games.

A separate total of $100MM in salary would deferred in the event of a canceled 2020 postseason, with that $100MM coming from player contracts worth more than $10MM (before being prorated).  This money would be deferred into two payments, scheduled for November 2021 and November 2022.  Players making less than $10MM wouldn’t defer any salary, so in a sense, this proposal from the players’ union has some very minor resemblance to the sliding-scale pay plan floated in the owners’ first proposal, in that the game’s higher-paid players would be taking more of a financial hit than lower-paid players.  Of course, that is where the faint similarity ends, as the owners’ plan proposed that every player would take some type of a pay cut, whereas the players are still set on receiving all of their prorated salaries, if not immediately this year.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/05/mlbpa-makes-2020-season-counter-proposal-to-league.html

• weams changed the title to MLBTR: Players Make Counter-Proposal
2 minutes ago, weams said:

Im far from an expert on MLB, but extending the playoffs into the colder months and butting heads with the NFL is probably not a smart thing to.

Just my own 2 cents worth in, and probably not even worth 2 cents.

17 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im far from an expert on MLB, but extending the playoffs into the colder months and butting heads with the NFL is probably not a smart thing to.

I agree. The deeper you go into the calendar the worse. NFL gets all the attention, plus CFB   

I am all for starting earlier but they should end when they normally end. I assume they will go into the first week of November anyway since they are expanding the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

They might be able to mitigate the colder months by having all playoff games be at warmer climate neutral ballparks. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, since they will be paid by the game.

Of course.  As a fan, do you want to see more baseball or less baseball?  The players plan gives then fans more baseball than the owners.  Yet, as a whole, the public will side with the owners anyway.

6 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Of course.  As a fan, do you want to see more baseball or less baseball?  The players plan gives then fans more baseball than the owners.  Yet, as a whole, the public will side with the owners anyway.

I'm rooting against both sides.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

You think the World Series gets the same attention playing it around Thanksgiving?  

Playoffs on election night!! Wow, probably the only plus!! This whole sport scene is way out of hand....Basketball, hockey playoffs in the summer. IMO, let it go and start fresh in the Fall. Baseball, play half of the "fake games, leagues, etc"...get it done in the usual time frame.  Move on to 2021 and hope things can be normalized. They have enough issues with player development, new framework for MiL, drafting. Redo it and try to do it as best they can. No matter how they spin it, it's about $$$$$, they're a business, I get it. Players have a finite career, a short time to make as much as they can, one season for a marginal player has a huge impact....not so much for the Trout, Machado types. Yep, push a fake season into winter..compete with NFL, NHL, NBA, NCAA (football, basketball). Baseball might find out how popular and watchable it is compared to the others.