2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

This Heston pick looks pretty similar swing wise to another left handed outfielder the. Astros took a few years ago at top of draft Kyle Tucker.  That might be a good comp and what you hope he turns into. Tucker was taken out high school though so is just reaching his major league chance.

17 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

FWIW Kjerstad was ranked as the 10 best prospect by MLB.com and 13th by Baseball America.

Thanks for info. Unfortunately There’s usually a huge difference between 10 or 13 and 2. Definitely not loving the pick. But then again I’m an Orioles fan so I’m used to the feeling. ?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Power I get. That's the whole point about doubles eventually translating into home runs. Speed, I don't. You can't teach speed. You might be able to to teach someone to be a more efficient base runner / stealer, but you're not going to make them faster. 

The sheer existence of track running/long distance running/etc should really disprove that.

Half the battle for someone who is slow is developing endurance to get more out of your energy.

I’m not going to lie — I pretty much hate this pick.    I don’t like the ratio of upside to downside.    To me it’s a clear underslot move to try to save room.    I would not have gone this route.   

That said, I will root hard for this kid to succeed and prove how little I know.     Bring it on!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was with you on Henderson, Rutschman but started laughing when you skipped Mountcastle and named Santander.

I'll have what you're having.

The comment was about left handed hitters.  Mountcastle is right-handed.

14 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Any chance Pete Crow-Armstrong falls to us?  I’m hoping for an all ginger draft class at this point.

I had a dream last year that we picked Crow-Armstrong.  Shared that here in some post.  So, it's a lock. :P

ARGH!!!! The dream has died!!! He's gone to the Mets! :P

• Upvote 1