Five things we’ve learned about Elias after two drafts

Frobby

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He picked the BPA in 2019.

So i would say that he doesn't think the BPA is the only approach.

Only an idiot would’ve passed on AR. I’d best most if not all here would have made the same pick. I’m not saying their isnt a GM That wouldn’t have screwed it up....The Marlins being cheap? Thankfully Elias isn’t an idiot.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Only an idiot would’ve passed on AR. I’d best most if not all here would have made the same pick. I’m not saying their isnt a GM That wouldn’t have screwed it up....The Marlins being cheap? Thankfully Elias isn’t an idiot.

IIRC, AR had a strong majority, but Witt had support, as well.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

You never have enough pitching.   Elias did not have to reach to draft Lacy.

I think that Elias is looking for particular traits in his pitchers (ie high spin rate).  Just because publications have a pitcher rated high, they might not even be on the Orioles board.

I was upset with the lack of pitching as well,  but I think the names they liked just went before we picked.  And they werent into the ones that fell like Kelley.

Maybe they didnt like Lacy or Hancock?

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

IIRC, AR had a strong majority, but Witt had support, as well.

88% were in favor of Rutschman, 7% for Witt.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:52 AM, RZNJ said:

Opinions are great. Thanks Frobby.  On the other hand it's the same old "schtick" from the same small cast of characters.  Phew!

Elias' two drafts are definitely highly college position player heavy, which historically carries the least amount of risk. Time will tell.  I guess the theory is to gain assets that can be traded for pitching.  Gonna be tough to develop frontline starters this way.

Gerritt Cole says hi.

9 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Indeed. Though I certainly can’t speak for him, it certainly seems like Elias is more comfortable trading assets for already developed pitchers than he is trying to develop them.

Since Elias was not GM of the Astros, this seems like a conclusion based on very little evidence.    What seems more accurate is that he has most trust in high-end hitting prospects than high-end pitching prospects.  

• Upvote 2

Mayo signed for the equivalent of #42-43 player overall money. Baumler signed for the equivalent of #49-50 money. 

Elias favors NCAA Hitters in the early rounds of the draft.  In the draft, and with trades, he seems to prefer having lots of darts, versus having a “one player” draft. 

Elias obviously felt that Kjerstad, Mayo, Baumler was better than Martin, punt, punt. 

If Martin signed for full slot or overslot, we wouldn’t have been able to afford Mayo and Baumler. Baumler and Mayo signed for mid to late 2nd round money. 

When rebuilding the organization, I’ll agree that the better approach is to have as many darts as you possibly can. If Martin were to bust or get injured, he would be a lost draft.  This was a way to limit risk. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mayo signed for the equivalent of #42-43 player overall money. Baumler signed for the equivalent of #49-50 money. 

Elias favors NCAA Hitters in the early rounds of the draft.  In the draft, and with trades, he seems to prefer having lots of darts, versus having a “one player” draft. 

Elias obviously felt that Kjerstad, Mayo, Baumler was better than Martin, punt, punt. 

If Martin signed for full slot or overslot, we wouldn’t have been able to afford Mayo and Baumler. Baumler and Mayo signed for mid to late 2nd round money. 

When rebuilding the organization, I’ll agree that the better approach is to have as many darts as you possibly can. If Martin were to bust or get injured, he would be a lost draft.  This was a way to limit risk. 

And I think that's the approach Elias went with being going with Kjerstad. If it's Kjersatd and two high risk, high reward players vs Martin and two slot 4th/5th rounders, it seems like Elias likes the idea of possibly hitting on three potential impact players vs one potential impact and two most likely low ceiling players.

Time will tell if you was right, but I think he wants as many potential high ceiling/reward players as possible. 

• Upvote 1

I wasn't sold on Martin at #2 anyway -- too many questions about his mediocre defense at multiple positions.  I was actually hoping for Nick Gonzales myself but ... willing to see what we have in Kjerstad.  Am a bit dumbfounded by the talk of not missing on pitches in the strike zone yet having so many strikeouts but we'll see.  If even one of Mayo and Baumler turns out then this will be a successful draft.  I'm intrigued by Haskin's "5 tools" and am impatient to see some minor league games. 

• Upvote 1

How does Mayo compare to Gunnar Henderson?

It’s obvious Mayo, and the O’s, used Gunnar’s money as a negotiating point.  We gave Mayo “Gunnar money”.

2019 - Gunnar #42 overall. Signed for $1.771 million. Ranked #27 pre-draft by MLB.com

2020 - Mayo #103 overall.  Signed for $1.75 million. Equivalent to #42-43 overall slot money. Ranked #132 pre-draft by MLB.com

Edited by sportsfan8703

Seems like he does not particularly prioritize pitching. Did not take a pitcher til the 8th round in 2019 or 5th round (last pick) in 2020. Maybe the metrics aren't that good on pitchers to be worth a high pick. I wonder if we will shift away from the "buy the bats, grow the arms" strategy and perhaps sign or trade for an ace when the time comes. In the meantime, grow a bunch of versatile up the middle types who can hit. Could also be perceived need with most of the remaining pipeline from the DD regime on the pitching side.  

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Seems like he does not particularly prioritize pitching. Did not take a pitcher til the 8th round in 2019 or 5th round (last pick) in 2020. Maybe the metrics aren't that good on pitchers to be worth a high pick. I wonder if we will shift away from the "buy the bats, grow the arms" strategy and perhaps sign or trade for an ace when the time comes. In the meantime, grow a bunch of versatile up the middle types who can hit. Could also be perceived need with most of the remaining pipeline from the DD regime on the pitching side.  

If he has a lot of up the middle types that can hit, he might be able to trade for some pitching.